Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SharpsShooter
Oldgun, a final thought. One of the reasons you will find high end stockers exclusively using the English/Turkish/etc is the lack of fragility in relation to grain orientation. English is much less likely to fail even if the grip grain runs poorly. Of course a good stocker is not going to get caught making such a journeyman mistake as poor layout with any wood.

The layout on the rifle I pictured is excellent and it has an extended bottom tang just for effect.

j

That's utter Horseschit.

Proper grain layout is proper grain layout- Period.

Talk to ANY high end smith who restores/repairs and older English and European guns and they will tell you poorly laid out English Walnut (Juglans Regia ) splits and crack like any other when poorly laided out..

Wood is wood ,Sir.

There are no Kevlar fibers in English walnut last I checked.

Arrogant folks with more money than common sense can talk themselves into believing anything if it strokes their own ego..

Your comments and photos here concerning wood sure are proof of THAT.

Last edited by jim62; 09/12/09.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well that's a good topic that went into the dump.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grow up, Jim. All wood is different. Species have their strong points and weak points. All you have to do is look up their various properties.

Wood is wood? What a maroon. Have you seen a lot of balsa or pine stocks lately?

Sounds like you are unhappy because some folks put more money in their rifles than others.

And to be honest, I do converse with a few of the better stockmakers and gunsmiths working today.

j

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sorry, Cesna..

I have watched Sharpshooter piss all over everyone elses choices of guns and equipemtn here for too long..

His last IGNORANT and STUPID gernalistic comments about walnut speices and THEN parading around that Crossgrained POS he put on that Hagn put me over the edge.

The "emperor has no clothes" here..

Sorry, He is full of schit.

his own posts and pictures on this thread prove that..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim, just which Hagn are you talking about? The pictures I just posted are from a rifle that was not built for me. It was built in 1999/2000 for a Canadian customer and I just bought it. It is not even delivered yet.

Maybe this is the POS that you are thinking about? This is the 300 win mag that I had built several years ago.

Are my rifles a problem for you?

j

[Linked Image]

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sharpshooter,

Yes- All walnut species has its good and bad points.. I agree on that.. The problem IS that was NOT what you said in your previous posts.

You JUST posted even CROSS GRAINED English is superior to ALL American Black walnut if one reads you prior posts taken as a whole. I am glad to see you have the sense to back off of that silly view point.

BTW, Looking at that crossgrained blank you used on the buttstock for that Hagn, the "better smiths" you converse with, SURE are not doing you any favors with regards to proper wood selection.

And thats a fact.
wink

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe here is a better look at the POS 300. By the way, I didn't choose that particular blank, Martin Hagn did.

j

[Linked Image]

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The FIRST Hagn pic was the one I was talking about..

The only problem I have with the second to last one you just showed was the fact the 'smith drowned the blank in Alkenet root stain. GOOD wood does not need to be stained..

I really like that last one. Damn good peice of wood.

Whatever floats your boat.. Rock on..Just quit spewing generalistic BS about American Black and other woods you don't really know a thing about because you have never used them side by side with English.....

And BTW, I met Martin Hagn nearly twenty years ago (1992) at Monte Mandarino's house in Kalispell when he was delivering a Magnum Hagn action to be stocked up later.. He was a hell of a nice man and a great gunsmith..

But even HE would admit he does not know everything..

Last edited by jim62; 09/12/09.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim you will forgive my ignorance, I trust, but I don't see any pictures of the first Hagn that give much information about the grain through the grip.

I suppose I just need to hire you as my expert stock picker, since I am too stupid to figure out what to buy.

And I trust you will forgive me again when I feel free to post my own opinion about quality wood stocks? I vote with my wallet on my own choices, hopefully you will most mecifully permit me my opinion?

By the way, if you want to see cross grained Turkish, you should see what I sent Ralf for the lightweight 257 Weatherby. You'll need a traqualizer. Luxus wouldn't even price it, just told me to send a blank check!.

j

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well, Crossgrained wood is simply that..

I could give a tinkers damn how YOU spend YOUR money. You could stock your Hagns in Cottonwood for all I care..

The problem I have is you are comming on this thread with those first couple of posts damning ALL American Balck walnut as being inferior, and THEN posting a pic of cross grained piece of Turkish on a rifle as being superior..?

THAT is the Horseschit part.

Sorry..

And BTW, I am sure the "good and honest" folks at Luxus would sell you ALL the poorly laid out wood they have on hand..

To all gunmaker critics-
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jim62, I completely understand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim, maybe these will keep you out of the hard liquor tonight. Not even too crossgrained and one of your favored black walnut.

Be safe.

j

[Linked Image]

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Okay, back to #1 wood. Here's mine that is circa 1992 in .270 Win.
Better in person actually, but I'm pretty tickled with it. Soon to have a Jard (courtesy of dad) on it. The gunsmith lightened the poundage, but creep is equivalent to the movie Saw.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,097
Posts18,502,029
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.