-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
HI i had my string replaced on my mathews drenalin last year and some of the servings are starting to unwine and look worn out dont know how long a string is supose to last.

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
you should get 3-4 yrs out of a good quality string. by keeping wax on it goes a long way. i dont know what brand of string you put on, but i have had great luck w/ winners choice strings. the servings should not be unwinding in a year.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Ive also had good results with WC strings and cables. I shoot thousands of arrows a year and with regular waxing i get several years out of a set and no the servings shouldnt be unwinding. I do replace the center serving yearly.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For an average shooter/hunter, you can get a few years out of a good string easily. Like mentioned, keep em waxed. Sounds like you just need to reserve the center serving, but I agree that it should have lasted longer.

Good Luck

loder

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
String replacement is entirely driven by the condition of the string it's self.

If you have strands of the string breaking or they are showing signs of major wear - then it's time to replace it. If it's just serving wear or they're becoming loose, any good pro shop can replace the serving for you and prolong your string life.

Mine get a lot of wear simply by being carried for so long, both in hand ( by the string ) and on a sling.

Several miles a day through brush and timber while elk hunting is standard fare. So my string fuzzes up pretty badly and needs waxing often. Waxing makes it look almost new again.

I've used both Winners Choice and Vapor Trails strings and was happy with both. When you do have the string replaced have your pro shop do a tear down and re-grease things like axle pins...etc.

Good luck.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
it depends on how much you shoot and how you take care of it. With a normal amount of practice and proper care it should last around 3 years.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A good waxing keeps it "fresh" longer. I wax the string at least once a year, or when ever it starts to get "fuzzy". My string is now 4 years old, and I will be replacing it after the season.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What wax are you guys using?

Luck favors the prepared.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
BCY ML6 works good

B
B
There are several factors that effect how long a bow string will last. I like to change mine every other year.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several members here have seen the advantages of custom strings. WC and VT are NOT custom made strings. They are mass produced in a place where quantity will always over ride quality. WC of old (before they were purchased by TOG) were quality strings. Now they are no better than any other mass produced string. I use Hogwire Custom Strings in my shop. They require no shoot in time. There is no peep rotation, no serving seperation, no stretch. Each and every set is built by ONE individual. A one man operation. I have a pile of Obsession factory strings in my shop. All takeoffs from factory new bows with zero shots on them. They get replaced by Hogwires. I trust my name and my reputation to those strings

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Are we really going to revive a thread from 2009?

Just sayin!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by NW AK
What wax are you guys using?

Anything in a stick. If you have it handy, there's no reason to let your string get dry. Also, lube your rail every 5 to 10 shots. I use Rail Snot.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
String Snot...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,889
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.