Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gaf Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Last year I purchased 3 trail cameras from Camtrakker, the MK-8 model ( <http://www.camtrakker.com/mk-8-trailcamera.aspx> http://www.camtrakker.com/mk-8-trailcamera.aspx). Before purchasing them I did my due diligence, asked someone locals to give opinions on brands and then called Camtrakker direct for info. I called Camtrakker mainly to ask for their recommendation between the MK-8 and MK-8 Environmental(the MK-8 environmental is basically a beefed up version of the MK-8 for foul weather). I don�t recall who I spoke to but he assured me that based on the location of use(near Medford Oregon) the Environmental would be total overkill and just to go with the MK-8. These aren�t cheap trail cams($399 for the standard MK-8 and $535 for the Enviro) so it was refreshing not to get the hard sell on the more expensive model although I would have paid it if necessary.

Long story short we bought 3 MK-8 cameras and put them at various places on my property. These cameras were nothing but trouble from the start. They continually leaked and retained water within the housing(even with barely any rain). 2 were so bad you literally had to open them up, pour out the water and take them inside to dry for a couple days. Within a few months of purchase I returned 2 out of 3 explaining the issue. They were (apparently) fixed but still leaked very badly even after the �repair�. I sent one back again for the same issue and the owner refused to fix it under warrantee , accusing me of submerging the camera in water. We did not even have a very wet year last year and all cams were at roughly 4� up on trees at high points or on the side of hills. There is no way any of them could have even been within 3 feet of standing water let alone submerged. We purchased another brand of camera (Stealthcam) for half the price and they are performing very well in similar conditions.

I have attempted to get Camtrakker to make good on their warrantee by either fixing the units or offering a refund...they have done neither. I would gladly have paid the extra money to have a camera that actually functions correctly in an environment that gets roughly 25 inches of rainfall a year.

Buyer Beware as my experience has shown that Camtrakker puts out a substandard product at premium prices and then refuses to stand behind it.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had the Cuddyback out for the last 2 weeks - driving rain. Nary an issue...

Me

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand your frustration but I hate it when someone's first post is to rip a product.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you sure your not posting your negative comment to drive traffic to the Stealthcam model you decided to go with? I'm not throwing rocks here, just asking. I mean with you having just one post and coming out of the chute hell bent for leather on product displeasure, well we can all draw our own thoughts and conclusions. How about posting a comment like, "New member to the forum and wanting to say howdy" first, before we all band wagon with ya. Just my .02 cents.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a CamTrackker in 35mm that is nearly 20 years old. It has always worked great with no problems. Ten years ago a bear munched it and I sent in back for repairs. They sent it back to me looking like new and best of all at no charge. I didn't expect that, but thats how they handled it. About as good customer service as I have ever had with any product.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
$535 for a trail camera...I could by 3 cuddy backs for that much, and they stand behind their product.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This seems like an honest post venting frustation with poor customer service.

Personally, I appreciate this post as I am in the process of searching for a different brand of trailcam to purchase this time around.

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.