Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
add 10,000 PSI on his brag

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Wouldn't suprise me,that extra velocity doesn't come free!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not saying we should not know, just that it seems overblown to label a brand as one that will fail. I'm not a big Weatherby fan, heck, I'd take a lowly M70 of any persuasion over a Mk V...and I do. I never did see a M70, in any config, in the .340...and I wanted one...and I have one.

Unless there is some validation of the factory ammo being an overload, I have a hard time with the accusations.

Federal "Weatherby" ammo, at least in the case of the .270, does not exceed .270 Win ammo.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Most cartridges are in the 55000-65000 psi range I believe,not real sure where weatherby tops out at!

I think something tends to be marginalized ( understanding that NO mud's being flang or flung at the poster, Ackleyfan) is thae actual ballistic event pressures in real world terms

65000 "PSI" = Thirty Two and One Half TONS, of pressure event, taking place right next to your head.

This "Magnumitis" craze is going to take out many more,.....before people smarten up to the fact that commercially built products FAIL.

Your blender fails,....you take it back to Sears,

Your Weatherby fails, your blended head gets scooped into a bucket.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never agreed with (9) smallish locking lugs for the reasons already stated.

Theory vs. reality = blown up guns. Not saying that this is the cause, but it's why I don't own any.

I have always liked their guns and cartridges though.

JM.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How's the lockup on that BLR?

Isn't it the same thing?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't heard of those rearrangin' folks faces.

Not the same thing at all. The lugs are in rows of 3 spaced down bolt body.

If you shear the front ones you have 2 more to knock off on each side before you get to eat the bolt.

That's after it breaks the teeth off of the lever cam and bottom of the bolt to get completely out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not attacking the rifle you enjoy, but it is the same QC nightmare that the Weatherby bolt is, isn't it? We all like what we like. I like leverguns too, often tempted by the BLR in a upnecked .308.

I liked my 788, just couldn't warm up to the looks.

I guess the bottom line from my viewpoint is: the design is only as good as the execution. I'd imagine we can agree on that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with your last statement.

But the design is far from being similar.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dunno, I don't have one...have to rely on pictures.

I, particularly, love the folks who attack alloy receivers...in terms of longevity.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rooney
So in essence we don't really know what hppened, or truly caused this failure, we can only conjecture. I had a Mark V for many years in 7MM Wby. I wore the barrel out at about 2800 rounds. It was the best rifle I've ever owned. Made in Japan, blued synthetic model. Remember a few years ago when a Sako blew up in someone's face? Where I lived at the time ALL Sako and Tikka's were recalled. That burp did not stopped many folks from using them, or extolling their virtues here on the "fire." I'm not convinced the Mark V is a piece of junk at this point anyway, and if I could afford one right now I would buy one and use it without hesitation.
I'll give you a good deal on mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine has steel. Older Model 81. All my rifles have steel actions so I have never worried about that.

Best,

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The alloy ones lock up steel to steel, so you wouldn't have to worry about it either way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you had a chance to handle one of your steel models and an alloy side by side, with reasonable optics in place?

I'm interested to hear about the balance of one vs. the other in a ready to use setup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"...actually stretched the action." What exactly does that mean?

The headspace in the chamber was then too excessive to be shot or the actual receiver was stretched?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own 3 Mark V's all in standard chambering, 7mm-08, 280 and 338-06, never had a problem and will not be getting rid of them anytime soon. Internet rumors need to be backed by facts. Was it the action, the ammo, etc...By the way, I handload for all of them, and never load over published data.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hawk...if I thought I could get it over the border without hassle and the price is right...not interested in a 300 or a 340 by the way. As an aside, I handloaded all my ammo, never used any factory stuff, especially at $65.00 a box at that time.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I understand the lug arrangement, nine isn't really an advantage. It's the same principal as the trick karate demonstration where several blocks of ice are stacked and broken. There's a space between each block. The karate chop only breaks one block. Kinetic energy breaks the rest of the blocks.

Weatherby rifles turned me off back in the day, when they were overly glossy, overly flamboyant, gaudy rifles that simply looked out of place in the hands of a hunter in the sticks in search of game. They were show pieces. Of course, the early ones were Mausers.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've never owned a Mark V but wouldn't hesitate to buy one, If the price were right. Especially a .257 mag. in the Ultra Lightweight model. I certainly wouldn't be dissuaded by an internet post stating "I've received word"...second or third hand word of mouth? Or something somebody read on another forum?
A little more information would be a good thing.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yes.....

The poster was VERY deceptive on his replies, even though he CLAIMED he had a 1000 yard match to shoot 2 months after the INCIDENT. He also claimed he was using factory ammo, I believe because weatherby may not back up his claims if they knew he was a 1000 yd shooter, which to me means he reloads......

Darned near everything in his post was suspicious, he said he had several weatherby's and his premis for this was "he is a loyal Wby guy, not a basher", but when I mentioned IMHO if he had several Wby's, he must surely have a backup, as his biggest gripe was Wby told him, once they received it, the Q had it sitting for a month before they could even look at it, let alone determine if his " nationally known gunsmith" who claimed it indeed was a stretched action was correct.

Just mentioned this as there are many ways a person can screw up a rimfire rifle, let alone centerfires which can be handloaded and screwed up from poor reloads. And there are idjuts out there who post how poorly Wby treated them, but with feedback one can assume the operator is usually the issue, the gun's failure may be a consequence of handloading/ mistakes. It is the BENCHREST SHOOTER" who thinks he couldn't have made a mistake that makes for good entertainment.....

Waiting patiently to see more from our good friend Mr Howell on more input. I am sure , if the blowup turns out to be correct, we all could learn from the failure analysis information.

And to the 9 lugs issue, surely most edjucated individuals could guess not all of the 9 need to fully support the cartridge's rearward movement at ignition to be stronger than 2 or 3 lugs, and indeed 2 lugs with full content could be stronger than 9 poorly fitted smaller lugs. In failure mode analysis, one would see that if lets say the 3 "good" lugs that support the initial load from the cartridge moving rearward can physically ( elastically) move rearward, until more contact from other lugs are made, which then add to the initial strength of the support. Movement of metal, below yield strength, is not a bad thing. Ed Weatherby's design gives a SAFETY FACTOR that other rifles do not have, and this is why the design is better than most bolt rifles, and has been proven to withstand higher pressures than I suspect ANY OTHER BOLT GUN in mass production.

His design has been proven, 9 perfect lugs are not needed, but create a bigger safety factor than other designs, considering good quality materials are employed.

Allen

BTW, My next probable purchase would be another ultralight in 25 caliber. Somehow I have an itch for a lighter 25-06 class gun than my 25-06 medium weight barreled Ruger tang safety that is a pretty heavy carry gun.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 14,303 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,151
Posts18,542,683
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.