-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

One premise, two conclusions! Impressive!
Yo
**alternate premise � "I haven't seen it happen."
(same conclusions)

My birth was neither televised nor photographed.
No one has yet produced details to confirm the event.
No Campfire folk have seen me born.
Scopes and Google can't confirm my birth.
Therefore, I wasn't born, was I? [/quote]

You could say the same for Jesus. Right?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Guys,

I'm not saying it did not happen but what are all the facts. Any action and rifle could fail but why? If from overloaded ammo, blockage in the barrel creating excessive pressure. Again, I'm not questioning Ken's creaditability, knowledge or I guess now exisistence just what caused the failures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't paid much attention to wetherby over the years.

The Mark 5 and the Vanguard are two differant actions? The Vanguard is actually a Howa action?

They have that Vanguard for $400, one in 30-06 and another in 223 looks good to me. Opinions?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by garryc
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't paid much attention to wetherby over the years.

The Mark 5 and the Vanguard are two differant actions? The Vanguard is actually a Howa action?

They have that Vanguard for $400, one in 30-06 and another in 223 looks good to me. Opinions?
I'm unable to read your post. My eyes keep drifting to the left.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need it full size

[Linked Image]

My wife would call her a dirty blond, as would I. Differant reasons I'sd think.

Last edited by garryc; 10/18/09.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If she would quite with the ant-in-the-pants movement, we could see the Charger....

Yes, Weatherby markets the Howa , mauser based Vanguard, currently at $399 with synthetic stock. It is not the normal Weatherby style stock.

The Mark V is a much stronger, larger, large bolt diameter gun, 9 locking lugs on magnum , 6 lugs on non magnum calibers and they have the Weatherby trademark stock.

Allen

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Having worked with and owned several over the years, I doubt if they even actually blew up. Would have to see the rifles.

Lefty C

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
the bolt blew out the back. ...

Shooter is crippled for life but lucky to be alive.

confused

how does the bolt blowing out the back "cripple" you?

Im sure you have a link to the news story that obviously was done on this, right?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mr Howell,

I think the point is that the sources are all shadowy, unconfirmed and cloaked in secrecy. And there are no details of the actual failure events that show cause & effect.

As a longtime Ruger, Remington, Marlin, H&K, Browning, Weaherby shooter as well as a shooter of many other major manufacturers weapons over the years, I welcome any information alerting me to a possible safety problem with my equipment. I do however give a lot more weight to well documented information than I do to information sourced as:

{A well respected guy on the internet says a friend of his says something and another friend of his also said something similar, and he trusts those friends, so he believes it to be true, so it must be true.}

It reminds me of the stuff we all bemoan when CNN broadcasts quotes from unnamed and unconfirmed sources.

I don't necessarily disbelieve the information, I just don't have enough information to draw a reasonable conclusion. I would love to see some forensic evidence from the tragic events.

Certainly some must be available?

I thank you for the alert as to the possible problem.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bigger and slower would work for me.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheShootist
Mr Howell,

I think the point is that the sources are all shadowy, unconfirmed and cloaked in secrecy. And there are no details of the actual failure events that show cause & effect.

As a longtime Ruger, Remington, Marlin, H&K, Browning, Weaherby shooter as well as a shooter of many other major manufacturers weapons over the years, I welcome any information alerting me to a possible safety problem with my equipment. I do however give a lot more weight to well documented information than I do to information sourced as:

{A well respected guy on the internet says a friend of his says something and another friend of his also said something similar, and he trusts those friends, so he believes it to be true, so it must be true.}

It reminds me of the stuff we all bemoan when CNN broadcasts quotes from unnamed and unconfirmed sources.

I don't necessarily disbelieve the information, I just don't have enough information to draw a reasonable conclusion. I would love to see some forensic evidence from the tragic events.

Certainly some must be available?

I thank you for the alert as to the possible problem.

Well said. I want documented, empirical evidence not rumors and mythology before I accept this as fact. It's the same standard I apply to all religions.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
But the converse, by this twisted logic then:

If I wrote that you were thirteen foot tall:

No one has either televised or photographed you.
No one has yet produced details to confirm the event.
No Campfire folk have seen your height.
Scopes and Google can't confirm your height.
Therefore, You must be 13 feet tall.

I mean, really, after all we read it on the internet.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Hmmm...I always thought the Mark V was THE strongest action, with those nine locking lugs.
Yep, I know. That was the scoop years ago when I bought them.

The thing I remember reading about this is that with so many small lugs (9), they have much smaller bearing surfaces also even though the over-all surface area may be the same or somewhat more than a traditional two-lug gun. Then, when you throw in even small measures of impreciseness in the machining, some of the lugs may not fully mate with their reciprocal surfaces; add some degree of of the bolt or receiver not being fully concentric with the barrel and you may have only 3,4,5 or 6 of those small lugs bearing the brunt of the pressure. Hence, over hundreds or thousands of rounds, set-back can begin to happen.

It is not unusual that a traditional two-lug bolt gun with no squaring and lapping of the lugs will show much more wear on the rearward surface of one lug as opposed to the other after significant use also.

Last edited by goodnews; 10/18/09.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Just got word of yet another catastrophic failure of a Mk V action with same maker's factory ammo.

In one case, the bolt blew out the back. In this case, the guts of the bolt blew out the back. BAD!

Shooter is crippled for life but lucky to be alive.

Do you know of any other such failure? I'd appreciate details.

I asked for infirmation about similar occurrences. (Got word of one that's virtually identical to one of the other ones, from yet another state.)

I did not say (or intend to imply) that I knew that this report was factual.

I did not certify or confirm that the report was factual.

In passing along what I've been told, I'm in the dark, too.

So blow your slurs back up your asses.

"How does the bolt coming out the back cripple you?"

According to one informant, that bolt had entered the prone shooter's face at the base of his eye, had gone down through his upper and lower jaws, then down through his neck, and into his chest � and had come to rest after breaking his collar bone.

I assume that upon eventual "recovery." he was able to walk. Inability to walk is not the only way to be crippled.

Other informants reported that the bolt bodies had remained in the receivers while the inner parts had entered the shooters' faces and had wrought somewhat less damage then the entire bolt had wrought in the first case.

I do not disbelieve that these incidents occurred. Coming from so many sources, they deserve some respect, imply some credibility.

Not everybody agrees.

So be it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With so many rifles out there, and so much ammo having been made for them, some failures will statistically happen. That goes for any man made object. Have some Weatherby Rifles failed over the years? I'm sure they have for a variety of reasons. Just like rifles made by every other maker.

Put it this way, I might have the one in a million truck that drops a ball joint at 65 MPH due to some manufacturing quirk. So what, I drive anyway. You are holding 60,000 psi between your hands, when it doses fail it will fail big. Same for any other rifle. Don't expect perfection in a man made item.

If she would quite with the ant-in-the-pants movement, we could see the Charger....

??? What Charger??

Bigger and slower would work for me.

This more to your liking?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by garryc; 10/18/09.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken - your not arguing the facts, instead your taking it personal. But, it is unethical, and may even expose you to liability, if you know of ammo that is dangerous and don't let the world know about it.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Ken - your not arguing the facts, instead your taking it personal.

When people impugn my integrity, THEY make it personal.

A good many people who've read this thread have added to it by pooh-poohing the reports on the bases of fewer facts than I have, while disparaging my integrity, my judgement, and my motives. Isn't that all personal?

Up their asses � where it came from � is where it belongs.

I've reported what I've been told. I'd like to know more � to know whether we're facing hoax, inadequate reporting, out-right misrepresentation, or terrible risk.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find it interesting that on this thread: http://www.weatherbynation.com/spikecamp/conversation/1/mark-v-catastrophe/0/ They are ripping you for your statements, yet on the same website you can find this thread: http://www.weatherbynation.com/spik...-jamming-with-almost-every-other-shot/0/ in which they seem to acknowledge pressure problems. - Denny

Last edited by 280shooter; 10/18/09.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, 1Longbow, 808outdoors, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 14,591 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,924
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.