Originally Posted by derby_dude
Interesting. Thanks for the link.
Yep. It was helpful.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here is a fact: 35 years ago as a fulltime rangemaster I observed blown primers and case head seperations of Weatherby Ammunition shot in Weatherby MkV rifles by nonhandloading shooters. Not a rumor or story, an observed finding.

This has been an ongoing problem that Weatherby has not corrected.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Marc,

Can I have your guns and hunting gear if something were to happen?

John it didn't happen today. I took my Mark V out after Mass and sighted it in with my deer load. No muss no fuss, it's normal .5 at 100 with that load.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I find it interesting that on this thread: http://www.weatherbynation.com/spikecamp/conversation/1/mark-v-catastrophe/0/ They are ripping you for your statements, yet on the same website you can find this thread: http://www.weatherbynation.com/spik...-jamming-with-almost-every-other-shot/0/ in which they seem to acknowledge pressure problems. - Denny

On another forum for shooters several years ago � right after my .220 Howell was introduced � the site's reigning oracle condemned the cartridge in exaggerated terms and crazy assumptions, with absolutely no facts of its design or performance. When I supplied facts and rationale, I became the wet hound at the ladies' tea by unanimous vote of his worshipers. According to his worshipers, he was infallible because he was a competition champion. Never mind that at that time, I knew more about the cartridge than anybody else on the planet.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by garryc
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't paid much attention to wetherby over the years.

The Mark 5 and the Vanguard are two differant actions? The Vanguard is actually a Howa action?

They have that Vanguard for $400, one in 30-06 and another in 223 looks good to me. Opinions?

I do mot believe the Howa action par of this statement. I do believe the actions beginning was the Vorie action for the Vangard action. If that causes some head scratching, it should. You would have to reach back to th early 1960's.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheShootist

If I wrote that you were thirteen foot tall:

No one has either televised or photographed you.
No one has yet produced details to confirm the event.
No Campfire folk have seen your height.
Scopes and Google can't confirm your height.
Therefore, You must be 13 feet tall.

Originally Posted by Ken Howell

My birth was neither televised nor photographed.
No one has yet produced details to confirm the event.
No Campfire folk have seen me born.
Scopes and Google can't confirm my birth.
Therefore, I wasn't born, was I?

Note the distinction between an event and an allegation �

You'll never hit a target that's north of you by shooting west.

(Au contraire, mon Frere, I have been televised and photographed ad nauseam. And several Campfire folks have seen me � one has hugged me, and another has kissed me. I ain't sayin' who, so eat your heart out and conjecture and opine to your heart's content!)

"You didn't actually see my client bite the plaintiff's ear off, did you?"

"Naw, suh � but I seen 'im spit it out."

grin

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got word of yet another catastrophic failure of a Mk V action with same maker's factory ammo.

In one case, the bolt blew out the back. In this case, the guts of the bolt blew out the back. BAD!

Shooter is crippled for life but lucky to be alive.

Do you know of any other such failure? I'd appreciate details.

I did not say (or intend to imply) that I knew that this report was factual.

I did not certify or confirm that the report was factual.

In passing along what I've been told, I'm in the dark, too.

Mr. Howell, is there a way the original post should be read other than it appears?

As I read the post, it appears that your are presenting events you know to be facts.

Did you intend to post a rumor, instead? FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Prezactely

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In plain English, "Just got word" means that I'd just gotten word of an alleged event.

Not that I'd seen it happen.

Not that I knew it to be so.

Not that I'd confirmed it.

"Do you know of any other such failure?" was a question.

"I'd appreciate details" meant that I needed more information.

Ought to be clear enough.

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Do you know any OTHER old gun writers that are azzhats?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Raise your hand if you ever have done the following
-been a working/paid firearms designer for a mainstream manufacturer?
-written a technical manual on designing wildcat cartridges?
-been able to call Elmer Keith, Jack O'connor, P.O. Ackley, colleagues, friends?
-written at any length professionally on in depth balllistics of numerous cartridges?
-professionally consulted for major ammunition manufacturers?

To my knowledge there is only one poster who can raise his hand to all of these? Dr. Ken Howell
Perhaps some who would question a persons knowledge should first know the source a tad better.

Its is better to be silent and thought the fool, then open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got word from not one but several people, some of whom I know and consider to be credible.

Y'all got the same word from me.

So?

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hence the reason folks would take on 'face value' that he actually had INSIDE info on what happened and that it did in fact happen.

But of course he has no knowledge of that and now enjoys lambasting folks that apparently didn't attend the same grammar classes.

Red herring comes to mind.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wonder what Weatherby is doing to combat (1) the alledged problem, and (2) assure potential buyers that all is OK?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What he said he had INSIDE information on was that a certain contractor who loaded ammo had concerns over the levels of some loads that were spec'd to them.
He said he was told this in confidence and doesn't want to betray what a trusted person asked to keep private.
However I would wager if Ken were to find out the unsafe conditons DID exist, or that there perhaps was an occurance of injury, he would likely be prompted to do something about it.
Hence perhaps the fishing question at the begining of the thread asking if anyone else had any information?

How else would like him to have handled something?

Monday morning quaterbacking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder what Weatherby is doing to combat (1) the alledged problem, and (2) assure potential buyers that all is OK?

I would wager perhaps thats why Ken decided to bring this thread into existence.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Sir, what went through your mind the first time you fired your Mark V?"

"The bolt".

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
"Sir, what went through your mind the first time you fired your Mark V?"

"The bolt".

grin grin

I wouldn't expect the first round out of the rifle to do it. The vast majority of reports that I've gotten attest that the Weatherby Mark V handles very hot ammo very well, usually for a very long time (very many rounds).

One report that I got said that the first round that was fired that day, from a new box of ammo, blew the guts out of the bolt into the shooter's face. I would NOT assume from that report that the rifle had never been fired before.

If the reports of failure are indeed creditable, the problem seems to comprise two discrete parts coming together in tragic combination � (a) action flaw and (b) terribly excessive pressures.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would any firearms manufacturer or ammo manufacturer or ammo retailer or wholesaler want ammo loaded past SAAMI specs given that the folks who buy factory ammo ain't the sort to chronograph loads ? The customer would never know he was getting " high performance " stuff .

The nine locking lugs are similar in design to " Acme " threads encountered on stuff designed to handle really high tension loads exactly like the load a rifle bolt experiences . The threads on drill pipe tool joints come to mind as well as " buttress " threads on other pipe designed to be run downhole .

As far as the thread from the wby website where the guy experiencing tight bolt lift says he and his Dad have " fired over 800 rounds of factory ammo in preperation for their upcoming hunt " ---------- that's 2000 bucks worth of ammo .

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I did not say (or intend to imply) that I knew that this report was factual.

I did not certify or confirm that the report was factual.

In passing along what I've been told, I'm in the dark, too.

I got word from not one but several people, some of whom I know and consider to be credible.

Y'all got the same word from me.

So?

So?

Are you, then, in the dark and ignorant of the facts, as you claim, or are you presenting facts, as you claim?

We've gone from light to dark back and now back to enlightened. Please forgive me, but English IS my second language, and I find it impossible to discern from your writing WHAT the value of the information is you are presenting us with.

Is this a rifle problem? Is this an ammo problem? Are non WBY brand rifles chambered in WBY cartridges blowing up with WBY ammo? Are WBY rifles chambered in NON-wby cartridges blowing up? What are we to take to heart from your post? FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 160user, 66 invisible), 16,061 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,152
Posts18,542,722
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.