-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is your definition of traditional? No wheels? No high tech gadgets? How about fast flight strings, modern laminations, machined risers. I was just looking at the latest Hoyt catalog and noticed their recurves. Not exactly a bent willow and a sinew string. At what point do you draw the line? It appears to me that anything without letoff qualifies. But even to that extent a recurve stores more energy than a longbow. What about adding a sight, most will admit that helps accuracy, but now it's not traditional. What say you?

Last edited by centershot; 10/16/09.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm no purist as I do use a laminated recurve (two of them) but with aluminum arrows, not cedar. I do not use fast flight strings but do use reusaable, resharpened Zwickeys or Magnus two-bladed heads and feather fletching. While I consider myself traditional some might think me not for the arrows. There's quite a continuum from "primitive" to "traditional". In my mind once you hang wheels on a bow you've left the world of the traditional archer.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I tend to agree with good news. I use Schafer Silvertip recurves, 1 w/FF 1 w/o. I also use Gold Tip carbons with weight added and 160 Snuffers. I use the recurve for 2 reasons: 1. I bow hunted with my granddad and he always used a Bear recurve. 2. for me the recurve is the better hunting bow, it's simple without stuff to break, fall off or get out of whack. I can shoot it and hit with it from several positions from sitting flat on my butt to contorted in a tree. I have nothing against compounds and some of my friends use them and in the future if I can't handle a stick bow in hunting weight I'll switch to a wheel bow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One can go back in time as far or as little as on wants, and call it what one wants. I know a guy (RIP) that hunted with an atlatl, which predates the longbow by a long time. The IBO requires archers competing in the longbow class to use wooden arrows, shot off the shelf (no rest). Personally, I consider any hand-held bow without wheels, drawn by hand without a release aid, to be "traditional." I will admit that man-made arrow shafts can produce more consistent results than wood, but they won't make a good archer of a bad archer or a non-archer. There are no shortcuts there. Using a fast-flite string doesn't change much of anything, except cast arrows an insignificant amount quicker, and subject your wooden bow to more wear and tear.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't hunt traditional because it's "traditional." I hunt it because it's simple. The bow is light as a feather. It's simple. It's effective. I can walk through the woods like a soft breeze. If I pick a set up and something changes, I don't need to pack up a bunch of stuff and move. I just start to sneak off to another spot. Stick and string.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 270wsmnutt, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,817 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,597
Posts18,532,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.