Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a new Vanguard in .300 Weatherby, and it won't feed the last round in the magazine. It feeds the others just fine, but when the bolt face engages the head of the last round, the round pops up and the bolt face loses contact, so when the bolt goes forward the round is semi-sideways and doesn't feed.

I've contacted their shop and they're sending a new follower and spring. Has anybody else seen this, and is there an easy DIY fix?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a typical follower problem. Unless it's a center feed system, the job of the follower is to guide the last round into the chamber.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Or bounce and toss it along its way...

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Malm
That's a typical follower problem. Unless it's a center feed system, the job of the follower is to guide the last round into the chamber.

Any suggestions on how to adjust or fix it? It almost seems like a weaker spring would help because when the magazine is full, with more weight on it, the rounds don't pop up like they do with just one round in there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably more the follower than the spring. The fuller the mag the more pressure on the rounds as the mag spring is compressed more.That last round has the least upward pressure.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any suggestions on how to adjust or fix it?

Not without looking at it. You have to watch how and when the round emerges from the feed rails, how it is guided into and up the ramp towards the mouth of the chamber. If the Magazine box is not seated correctly that can throw the round off track as well.

You would be surprised at how many folks take their rifles down and reassemble the magazine boxes incorrectly resulting in feeding problems.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole

Any suggestions on how to adjust or fix it? It almost seems like a weaker spring would help because when the magazine is full, with more weight on it, the rounds don't pop up like they do with just one round in there.
If the new follower doesn't do it, I'd try the original follower with a stronger spring.. Many times a weaker spring will not hold the first round (bottom) tightly enough against the feed rail and allow it to jump up early..

Basically, you're seeing this in person when you note that a full mag doesn't exhibit the problem..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Malm
Not without looking at it. You have to watch how and when the round emerges from the feed rails, how it is guided into and up the ramp towards the mouth of the chamber. If the Magazine box is not seated correctly that can throw the round off track as well.

You would be surprised at how many folks take their rifles down and reassemble the magazine boxes incorrectly resulting in feeding problems.

The box and spring are seated right, I've taken it apart twice. As you know in that rifle the fit of the box is pretty tight and the spring is held in place on the bottom metal and follower pretty tightly by metal tabs so it's hard to put it all back together cock-eyed.

What happens is, with the last round on the right rail the bolt face pushes it forward and the bullet slides up the feed ramp, so far so good. Once the bullet clears the top of the ramp, the round pops up and the case head moves up and to the right--if I do it fast the round pops out the port case head first. If I do it slow just the head pops out.

Originally Posted by Redneck
If the new follower doesn't do it, I'd try the original follower with a stronger spring.. Many times a weaker spring will not hold the first round (bottom) tightly enough against the feed rail and allow it to jump up early..

Basically, you're seeing this in person when you note that a full mag doesn't exhibit the problem..

That's what I'm seeing, thanks to both of you guys.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had the same problem with a 300 WSM follower on the Vanguard. The replacement Weatherby sent worked like a charm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can remove the spring from the floorplate and use your hand to increase the spring tension to see how increased tension affects the feeding of the last round. If the increased tension keeps the head of the case from emerging too soon, allowing it to feed without any problems, then replace the spring. Avoid stretching the spring. Unless you have the replacement in hand so afterwords you can replace it. Stretched springs don't have a good track record.

SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got it, thanks for the tip.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.