-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I, personally, would spec a faster twist just because I like to run high-BC heavier bullets at longer ranges these days... but not everyone does that.

Hell, barrel life on that fire-breather will be so short, the original poster can try it this way, then try it the other way soon enough if he so desires! smile

Enjoy your cool new toy, BMD, and thanks for sharing.

Carry on gents.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks nice and there is nothing wrong with a 1/14 twist if thats what you wanted. I would get one if I wanted to shoot 52gr speer HPs in bulk or dog town bullets. Sure they would work with a 12 or 10 twist to but I would say they have a hard time sticking together with a 1/9 and under at swift speeds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WGM and MM, no argument on those points, but to say a Swift in 14" is a bad set up, I don't buy it. Not all of us need to shoot 500-1000 yds on a regular basis.

I have, do, and will shoot plenty more 70TNTs in all twist 6BR, they are flat enough and defy wind enough when launched at 3400.

Pale white, you sir would not be so inclined to be so disrespectful in person.

I am not ignorant of all the gack here, but sometimes discussions get carried beyond what is practical for the intended purpose. I am sure I have done so myself.

I owned a 221 FB builty by Speedy G at SGY, ONLY shot 40s in it as at 3600+ with Lil gun, I saw that as an advantage vs. 50s or heavier much slower. It was flat, accurate, and did what I needed it to do.

Lighter bullets simply DO have a place and work well, so long as the user does their part.

The Swift above was built with a purpose in mind, and for the owners purpose, I have no doubt it will do just fine. Whenever that tube is worn out, he may want to try something else, who knows, but I have yet to see an argument to tell me why his 40-53gr pills launched from a 14" twisted Swift will be ineffective when he connects, and I am sure he will connect just fine.

When he needs more gun for bigger game, I am sure the OP has other tools for the task at hand.

NO question a fast twist has some flexibility as to bullet options, but that's not my point. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall BMD saying he was shooting a minimum of 500 yds, and shots on varmints were to 1,000. His 300 will take care of those needs I am sure wink

You guys enjoy the day, no harm meant to others, your points are not invalid, but it is more or less relevant depending on the chosen application.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice rifle!

Last edited by slg888; 10/26/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SWEET rig Scott, that ought to GIT-ER-DONE.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR

I owned a 221 FB built by Speedy G at SGY, ONLY shot 40s in it as at 3600+ with Lil gun, I saw that as an advantage vs. 50s or heavier much slower. It was flat, accurate, and did what I needed it to do.

Lighter bullets simply DO have a place and work well, so long as the user does their part.

The Swift above was built with a purpose in mind, and for the owners purpose, I have no doubt it will do just fine. Whenever that tube is worn out, he may want to try something else, who knows, but I have yet to see an argument to tell me why his 40-53gr pills launched from a 14" twisted Swift will be ineffective when he connects, and I am sure he will connect just fine.

When he needs more gun for bigger game, I am sure the OP has other tools for the task at hand.

NO question a fast twist has some flexibility as to bullet options, but that's not my point. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall BMD saying he was shooting a minimum of 500 yds, and shots on varmints were to 1,000. His 300 will take care of those needs I am sure wink

You, sir, obviously know nothing about dealing with gunsmiths, twists and mathematics. You have the nads to build a rifle designed to shoot lightweight boolits? How dare you do such a thing? Next time please check in with us before deciding what to do. Oh and BMD, you do the same. After all, unless approved prior to building, you will need to explain yourself and beg for forgiveness. Be afraid, be very afraid. whistle

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Karnis,

Might you be familiar with the relative case capacity differences betwixt the Fireball and the Swift and then extrapolate in kind,that the larger motor will push higher BC bullets to speeds well surpassing the aforementioned 3600fps/40grainer Fireball threshold?

Use a lifeline and phone a friend,then get back to me and I'll illuminate more for you.

This is gonna be fun and at your expense...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen me in person and would be happy to slap some sense into you and give you a shooting lesson.

Mainly because my gracious nature is boundless.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can't zook a 52HP at nearly 400fps via a 1-7.7" 22-0250AI and rest assured,that isn't a guess...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker
Karnis,

Might you be familiar with the relative case capacity differences betwixt the Fireball and the Swift and then extrapolate in kind,that the larger motor will push higher BC bullets to speeds well surpassing the aforementioned 3600fps/40grainer Fireball threshold?

Use a lifeline and phone a friend,then get back to me and I'll illuminate more for you.

This is gonna be fun and at your expense...................

Oh most assuredly not. At my expense? Really? Oh, my. Please by all means, illuminate, illuminate.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We've your stupidity rolling nicely now and in most circles that isn't lauded...though I'll break that trend.

Congratulations?....................

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

....you might be shocked that I built my 6BR with 8 twist to add flexibility, not to ONLY shoot the highest BC bullet possible....

Substitute 6BR with 220 Swift, and you are making ther same point I am. There's a reason you didn't twist your 6BR exclusively for 55s.

A hit is 95-99% of the equation if it's placed, and the OVERWHELMING factor is the shooter.

Beating the wind goes a long way toward making that hit. There's a reason 223 competitors shoot 75-90gr bullets at 1000 yards. The 55gr stuff just don't cut it. Bring those same heavies up to 220 Swift velocities and you have a real serious 1000+ yard rifle. Hobble it with 1/14 twist and you just castrated it.

There's a lot of room for choices on actions, stocks, barrels, mounts, etc. Lots of good quality choices out there and the differences can be subjective. Twist rate on the other hand is a very real and hard choice. A 1/14 Swift will be hobbled regardless of receiver, stock, barrel, glass, etc. A 1/8 or 1/9 will shine at Swift velocities.

There is a hell of a lot of BS on this thread (pun intended), but Shane's and Dave's (and some others) comments are actually very good contributions. Fast twist does indeed allow shooting bullets with better BCs, and when you shoot a lot in the wind high BCs are an excellent idea.

However, BC is only one component of shooting good groups at long range. When I was shooting 1K BR, there always seemed to be an argument about which was better. The guys back East liked the 187 Bib out of 300 mags. They correctly pointed out how the Bib shot better groups. However, guys out West preferred 210 and 220 grain bullets in 300 mags because of the wind. A .52 BC bullet gives up a lot to a .63 BC bullet in the wind at 1000 yds. In short, you were more likely to shoot record setting groups in good conditions with a Bib, but more likely to win matches in windy conditions with a 210 JLK or 220 SMK.

Part of the reason the 187 Bib shoots better groups is because it will remain stable when shot out of a slower twist barrel. Given no bullet has it's longitudinal axis perfectly centered with it's longitudinal center of gravity, the faster it spins the more chance it has of wobbling and dispersing. That is why little BR guys, shooting at 100 and 200 yds, like short, low BC bullets at higher velocities and slow twist barrels--that is the combination shoots the best groups at 100 and 200 yds.

BTW, I'm sure you need to be on a bench to see this fast vs slow twist accuracy thing play out. As stable as I found prone with a military sling to be (the couple of times I tried it), if I could keep my shots within a 10" circle at 600 yds I'd shoot a good score. However, if I wasn't shooting at least 5" groups at 1K off the bench, I wasn't going to do well at all.

So for the ultimate in accuracy, you want as slow of a twist that will still allow the selected bullet to be stable at the target. The BC you choose will depend on the conditions and distance you shoot in. If i was shooting at 600 yards with a 300 WSM, I'd probably use the Bib. Also, there is a difference between shooting good groups at a known distance and making first shot hits at unknown ranges.

Finally, shooting big game animals is different than target shooting. On a big game animal, the bullet still needs to do work after it hits the target. If a bullet is barely spinning fast enough to remain stable when it hits a medium to large animal, then it may well become unstable inside the animal which is not normally desireable. In this case, a faster twist is often a better choice.

I guess I said all that to say there are good reasons to run a Swift with a 1x14 twist for shots inside of 500 yds.

Oh yeah, and it's bullschit to criticize's a man's new custom rifle. I suppose on this thread Larry's comment may have really been meant innocently enough, but given all the ill will he's created here (and I gather everywhere else on the Internet), did anyone really expect a different reaction?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blaine,feel free to drop some pics and particulars on any/all your Swifts.

Will frost that glaring obvious,with another,in that none of the 30cal tubes you cited...were twisted to slow to allow a choice in BC.

That'd be the crux,your hurt feelers aside..............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let's put sprinkles on the frosting.

Be sure to hang pics of your Critter Conquests,so as to cement your "experience" there too.

Laffin'................

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I can understand the Bib advantage if a guy is hoping for conditions that will give him a shot at setting a record for group size in sanctioned competition.

For a field precision rifle, I'm quick to favor a drift advantage of 6 MOA at 1K, over a mechanical accuracy advantage that is barely measureable.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL!!! It is sooo easy to bait a wanna be underachiever with low intelligence. Everytime you come back, you get dumber and dumber...........

Thanks for giving me an excuse to post this again. Here are my credentials for for speaking of twist rates and BCs at long range:

Five screamer groups at 1K, two club agg records, twice tied a world record, too many small group of the match to remember, and a bunch of trophies for winning matches. Below are pictures of the FIRST time I broke the club agg record. That was with a 1x11 twist barreled 300 WSM shooting 220 grain Matchkings. Even Sierra wasn't sure a 1x11 would stabilize 220s.

The average for three consecutive 5-shot groups was 4.91" in these pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here are my latest critters, shot last season and the season before. I expect to have another picture in a couple more weeks. Hunting in a place that has about 1/3 the success rate of where you hunt. All shots were offhand at 70-90 yds, and both bucks were moving rather quickly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now go back to rubbing your vagina, which is what you are best at, and quit wasting everyone's time with your poorly written, meaningless drivel.

And just in case that is too cerebral for you to understand, let me say it this way. Go [bleep] yourself you worthless piece of schitt!!

Lesson over.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
it chaps my a$$ that the factories are so slow to see the light.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I can understand the Bib advantage if a guy is hoping for conditions that will give him a shot at setting a record for group size in sanctioned competition.

For a field precision rifle, I'm quick to favor a drift advantage of 6 MOA at 1K, over a mechanical accuracy advantage that is barely measureable.

No disagreement from me, but enough guys shoot so well using the other approach that I have accept their choice as the best for what they do. I imagine my match winning Western rifle would have been spanked repeatedly in the conditions they shoot in back East. Just as I imagine an Eastern rig would be uncompetitive on a windy day in the West.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Karnis,

Actually that SGY was bought second hand, when you can get into said rifle at the price of an LVSF, well......I'd trust a trued Speedy built rifle with his bbl of choice over a stock 700, I think a Krieger is what he said he used when I gave him the Serial #, though I was not the original owner, I would never order a 221 w/any other twist, as it does a nice job for a quiet midget round pushing forties......and it would be very hard to heat it up enough to scorch a throat.

There is a place and utility for MANY various kinds of guns, scopes, and loads, barrels as well. Not necessarily meaning any are bad or wrong, just various needs and expectations by different shooters/hunters who have different jobs at hand.

Despite my posts earlier, the fact is I only order 8 twist 6 and 6.5mms when building a rifle, and I live where there is not the wind as in Oklahoma, west Tx, and many other places.....so a fast twist is not as beneficial for me on wind drift, because I simply rarely have alot to contend with.....now I do like knowing I can surpass 243 downrange energy with a 105 amax, at say 400 yds in a 6BR, less recoil, much longer bbl life, and one hole accuracy, but again, I use 70s also. 55s will work also if I cared to go prairie dogging and wanting minimal recoil and ricochet, but I don't have any PDs here either. I have made some hits/kills in my state upward of 400-500 yds, with a 70 TNT and never felt disadvantaged not using 105s. IF, and again, I hardly ever do......had strong gusty winds to contend with, then I might be more inclined to utilize 105s for more in the 6BR.

My knowledge, logic and thinking is not as greatly different as some of you guys may perceive, but do consider the adage, 'Beware of the man with one gun' as High BCs/fast twist only give the potential for improvement, whether it is or not depends on the baseline shooter and how well they do, vs. another shooter.

Haven't 6 PPCs dominated BR matches, often out to 300 yds IIRC, and don't they use 14 twist and light 65-68s? Hmmmmm, ALOT of shooting inc. in the field gets done under 300 to my knowledge, but others may opt for qualifying for the various 'clubs' w/Varmint Hutners Assocation, and that's fine if nailing prairie dogs at 500-1000 yds your sport.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rifle, but you can add me to the list of guys who would never consider a 1-14 twisted Swifter. It totally defeats any purpose I would have for building one in the first place.......

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,781
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.