Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Most of you guys that have trapped or snared for awhile will already know this, so I am posting this for those who will be snaring for the first time this fall.

One of the tools that you might want to consider for your snare line is a good battery powered weed wacker. I have used the gas ones with good success in the past, but the battery powered ones that are available today look like they would be very good to use and no smell from gas either.

Most people would be surprised to learn how much predators use old dirt roads when nobody is around driving on them.

What I like to do is drive down old dirt roads that have a lot of tall grass growing next to them. But it doesn't have to be just old dirt roads. it can be anywhere there is a predator travel area, such as between two fields, or along a creek, etc.

What you want to do is weed wack a small trail into the tall grass. Maybe 10 to 15 feet depending where you are and what type of grass you are working with. At the end of that trail you need to place your lure or bait. I like a liquid type lure made out of sun rendered fish oil and other ingredients. As it gets colder I like the same stuff with a drop or two of skunk essence per pint of bait. You can put it on a piece of sheeps wool if you have some, or it you don't you can just go to the local drug store or grocery store and purchase a bag or two of cotton balls.

On the way out of the trail you just made you hang a noose about half way in. You need to stake them. I like 7 x7 cable 3/32 with a kill type lock. I like to support them with # 9 black wire. Make sure and check your regulations to see whether all of this is legal in your area. For example, where I snare there are rules about how large the snare loop can be, as well as how high off the ground it can be.

whats great about these sets is that even if it rains hard or even if it snows they will be out there working for you. they are easy to check. and they only need to be relured about once a week. Fox and coyotes will walk in on those trails you make with the weed wacker to investigate the smell. they are just like people. they will take the easiest path to where they want to go.

So give them a path where you want them to go, and leave a little something for them while they are there.

Good luck.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
good tip, also might add, set in a cross roads and double your odds.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good one!

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

A
A
Good information on making a trail in grass.

My past similar experience includes setting snares in swamps where the cattails are very thick. These locations are hidden from the public. I simply walk through the cattails and crush a trail through them...setting a snares along the way.

Whenever setting snares in bushy areas I always carry a normal stapler which allows me to staple any sagging cable out of the way. I've also stapled the snare loop into postion so it doesn't sagg or get wind blown.

I also carry a small pair of pruning pliers used by gardeners.
These are great for cutting overhead branches which I use for guide posts.

I've also incorporated S hooks into my snare loop which is designed to break away if it catches a cow, horse, deer or large none target animal. These S hooks are rated for 385 lbs.
Landowners are more prone to let me set snares with this device on the snare loops.

The S hook has also made the snare loop more relaxed and I dont have to fight with snare loops twisting on me....which is really hard to deal with when using aircraft 3/32 wire.

Hope this little bit of information helps new & old trappers who use snares.

Regards
Al from Sherwood Park, Alberta

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.