Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My dad passed away 5 years ago. Hunting seasons are especially hard. Here are a couple of pictures of one of his first hunts.
His name was Frank Lindquist and he lived in Salem Oregon. His 6X4 mulie was his 1st buck ever. Take in Ea. Ore. He took it to the taxidermist but shortly after got drafted into the army. When he got home the shop had closed and his head was gone. The second picture is of his buck, his brothers buck, and a 15X13 winterkill they found(which later burned up in garage fire). I believe the year was 1940 or 41. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the pics....good stuff!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad died in 1982 and let me tell you, it doesn't get any easier. My brother died in 1996 and then my father in law in 2001. My wonderful son, a licensed guide, has moved far enough away that we only hunt together on occasion. I have a brother in law that THINKS he is a hunter but in reality, PURE yuppie!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOST cause. I make sure that on EVERY hunt I go on, whether it is bird hunting or deer huning that I carry something that belonged to each of them. Now, very luckily, my wife has turned into my best hunting partner. She braves whatever the conditions or temperatures. Always there, and always ready to squeeze the trigger. I only hope that those that have left me are watching. confused confused confused

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've written here many times about my dad. I'm pushing 50 now, and he died when I was 21. It doesn't get any easier. I still miss his guidance and woods savvy at deer camp. He was a great mentor, and every fall is a tough time for me. Thanks for posting the pics. I'm sure your dad was a strong influence and great hunter too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wonderful post lazy.......... Thanks

Pop died in 1991. He was my guide, my mentor, my friend. He was with me at 7 years old, when I took my first deer.
Pop never talked down, talked loud or was too busy for me.

Not a day goes by that I don't spend time thinking of him.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I've written here many times about my dad. I'm pushing 50 now, and he died when I was 21. It doesn't get any easier.

I'm 57 and my dad has been gone thirty years now....it doesn't get any easier...

The man that kinda stepped in and was known to all as my "Surrogate Father" has now been gone 7 years....

For an aging man myself, sometimes I still feel like a lost little boy...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here's to your dad...

I still have mine, and don't know what I'd do without him.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mine's been gone for 26 years now. My brother Tom died a year ago next week. Miss both of them.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm 61. My father who was the most gifted wing shot I have ever seen and so good with a rifle I never saw him shoot more than once in all our years together has been gone some twelve years now. This year, for the first time I will pick up his knife and carry it with me hunting. I still remember him letting me shoot his rifle the first time when I wasn't even big enough to hold it myself. I am glad that he got to see me turn into a decent wing shot, and long before he died after I had just shot a monster buck on the last hour of the last day of the season when neither of us had so much as gotten a shot he came up to me and said I was pretty sure that if we we going to eat venison this year either you or I was going to have to shoot it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My dad is still with us. My wife's dad died three years ago this month and she still has her moments although she is not one to talk about it much. I became a father for the first time this summer and being one makes me appreciate mine more. He's not perfect but whose dad is? Saturday morning is residents only day in Maine for whitetail. Along with some family we'll journey to the same old country church we've been going to for years and enjoy the hunter's breakfast before heading out.

Here's to all of your dads who've passed on already and to the dads still with us!

Cheers!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's to mine ! Thanks for the tribute.

Rolly
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pics and story, Lazydrifter!

My poppa passed on before he saw 36, I was only ten... it left a hole in my heart so big you could have drove a truck through. I envy all of you who had a father during the formative years.

Here's to my uncle/ mentor who took me under his wing and taught me to hunt and fish! A knifemaker...

[Linked Image]

And here's to the sons we are blessed to mentor! smile

Last edited by olgrouser; 10/28/09.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Great pics and story, Lazydrifter!

My poppa passed on before he saw 36, I was only ten... it left a hole in my heart you could have drove a truck through. I envy all of you who had a father during the formative years.

Here's to my uncle/ mentor who took me under his wing and taught me to hunt and fish! A knifemaker...

[Linked Image]

And here's to the sons we are blessed to mentor! smile

Here, here. I'll drink to that. This IS a FANTASTIC thread.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It has been a while now since Dad passed into an eternity with the Lord. When I leave the house and hear the crunch of fresh snow under foot, I am transported back to the mid to late sixties and our walking, during hunting. I can still smell the "diesel and dust" odour of his parka in the truck when we first got in. We hunted, talked, warmed sandwhiches over a fire, and he showed me how a man can respect and love another man, without tarnish or impropriety. He raised a couple of honest, good hearted, respectful boys, who both still love to hunt together.

Randy

Last edited by medicman; 10/28/09. Reason: correct diesel

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It has to hurt not having your mentor around. Montanaborn and myself are SOOO.... lucky dad is still kicking and able to go to camp to dispense his 91 years of knowledge to anybody who figures it worth hearing and watching. Here he is in his favorite Pendleton dispensing knowledge to yours truly.

[Linked Image]

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lucky Man!

Enjoy it to the fullest...I know I did...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad bought me a 12ga JC Higgins pump when I was 12 and we hunted quail. We did our first 400mi pheasant hunt when I was 16. We only missed one season pheasant hunting in 22 yrs. My grandmother was sick. We hunted deer in later years and he died peacefully at 86. Youse guys make me cry. Life is good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread guys, makes me feel very fortunate to still have my dad. He doesnt hunt any more as he is to busy for it. But even as I near my 33rd birthday he takes the time to hear "How I did?" every evening when he gets home.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ingwe

For an aging man myself, sometimes I still feel like a lost little boy...

Ingwe

And i thought it was just me.

At 41 I'm 10 years past my father's passing.

Still hard.

What's to do but pray that I can be half the father to my children as he was to me?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad will be gone now 4 years December 10th. I was 18 when he died, and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of him in some way. He and I shared a lot of great times together, and my last memory of he and I together was a day we spent deer hunting together. I don't think we even saw a deer that day, but it was beautiful out, with a couple inches of snow, and we hunted sun up til sun down. Easily my favorite hunting memory of all, by a long shot.

It sucks big time that he is gone but, he died doing what he loved. He spent his last day alive hunting with two of his best friends, and I can't really imagine him wanting much of anything different. I've got a lot of cool old photos on slides that I need to get scanned in someday, but haven't had the time to get a scanner.

His passing caused me to take a greater love and appreciation of the outdoors, and has consequently got me to hunt and fish as much as I possibly can. Being in the woods we used to hunt, or on his favorite trout stream makes me feel "closer" to him, as if he's kinda looking over my shoulder. For those of you that still have your dads, you're very lucky, and I'd say cherish the moments you have to the fullest while you still can.

Here's a picture of a picture, of I believe the last turkey he killed.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 14 invisible), 1,027 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,927
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.