Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by triggerguard1
I run anything from 1- 1 3/4lbs. on all my hunting rifles and they are far from dangerous. Those with limited feelings in their fingers suffer from something I can't relate to.

Perhaps the feeling in my trigger finger is not as sensitive as yours. Certainly its not when its freezing!

In any case a one pound trigger is more likely to get bumped off if the rifle is dropped or falls.

A broad statement of a 1 lb trigger not being safe in the field is an ignorant statement at best.

I say a one pound trigger is not safe in the field under the conditions I mentioned. Thats all.

My varmint rifles I've ran at 8oz with never a AD. Pull on that trigger for a while and 1 lb feels like 5.

If you're gonna shoot light rifles, it's more than just the gun that must be light.

HR IC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what riflescope? I think the Conquests are set at 100, but the Leup's at 150?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
a 2 pound pull on a 6 pound rifle...??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My mention of my 1lb trigger preference was under the obvious assumption that the individual in question was not handicapped,cross-eyed or stupid. Though that is 3 heavy strikes against you...if only for starters.

It is a slippery slope,when you are using yourself as a barometer of evaluation..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 6x42 is forgiving there,as well..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems like a high percentage of the rifle weight however we don't release a trigger by lifting the rifle by its trigger!

Read Jack O'Connor's book "The Hunting Rifle"

He has a chapter on "Triggers and trigger control" thats eight pages long. JOC says:
"On a bolt-action rifle I like a clean, crisp pull that lets off at 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds. Pulls much lighter than 3 to 3 1/2 pounds are too light to be entirely safe and also in my opinion too light to give the rifleman complete control."

To each his own.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JOC was/is a tool.

I needn't read addled prose by the clueless,when I can simply gun my own wares that run the gamut and extrapolate in kind.

Which squarely applies to the incredible depths of things unknown to you,regarding the rifle................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Savage_99
It seems like a high percentage of the rifle weight however we don't release a trigger by lifting the rifle by its trigger!

Read Jack O'Connor's book "The Hunting Rifle"

He has a chapter on "Triggers and trigger control" thats eight pages long. JOC says:
"On a bolt-action rifle I like a clean, crisp pull that lets off at 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds. Pulls much lighter than 3 to 3 1/2 pounds are too light to be entirely safe and also in my opinion too light to give the rifleman complete control."

To each his own.

JO was handicapped with 70s...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like 2.5lbs on a light hunting rifle. I agree with those about switching from a varmint or paper punching rig to a heavier trigger, sure makes them feel awful heavy.

I personally feel free recoil is the best method regardless of the rifle weight(rest under lug, light on the grip, and the free hand for working the rabbit ears). I also like my right elbow to be rested on a small sand bag so I'm totally relaxed upon firing.

When switching from the LW triggers to hunting triggers, a few dry fires are your best practice IMO. You should be able to dry fire a rig w/o the xhairs moving. That's a real pain when they are over 2.5-3lbs, but quite easy from there on down.

Recoil anticipation, poor rests, crappy triggers, and bad form are the killers to most shooter's accuracy IMO. Forget recoil and try some dry fires until you get in a rythm with proper form that allows the xhairs to remain steady and keep that rythm while shooting. Too many folks tense up before they squeeze.

Many may not agree, but I find it quite useful to fire off a few target rounds from a heavy varmint rig in between shooting something with more recoil. It definitely helps stay in a relaxed form.

Good Luck

loder

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spent primers are the supreme Tutorial and beware the best Indian,with the best arrows.

A guy makes his own "luck"...............

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In "The Book Of The Rifle" by Jim Carmichel he writes:

"I think the best weight of pull for an all around hunting rifle is between three and four pounds."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In any case a one pound trigger is more likely to get bumped off if the rifle is dropped or falls.

What you're describing is an unsafe trigger, not one that is adjusted low on the poundage.

Not a single solitary trigger that I've ever owned, used, or worked over would fire under the conditions you're talking about and all of them will go under 2lbs with ease.

I can get a 6lb trigger to fire with a bump of a stock or a slap of a rawhide mallet, but knowing how to adjust a trigger properly is always key.

How many ADs do you think you get at the benchrest competitions with 2 and 4 oz triggers, all sporting the Jewell name?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
In "The Book Of The Rifle" by Jim Carmichael he writes:

"I think the best weight of pull for an all around hunting rifle is between three and four pounds."

Don't have a problem with JO's, your's, or Jim's opinion, but don't start dictating it out like its fact.

I'm more than willing to fix up a trigger on any 700, 70, or Kimber you like that you can put through the acid test and toss it off a cliff. When she don't fire, I'll glady accept an 84 Montana in 223, just so we can call it even.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Triggerguard,

I don't agree with you. The inertia of the parts in a trigger contribute to it firing if it falls. The greater weight of pull will help hold its sear together.

In any case to each his own. In cold weather or when nervous a very light trigger is dangerous.

I offered Jack O'Connor and Carmichel as references. Who do you offer? Who??

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I offer me, since I've built a few and put together hundreds of them, trying to get them to fire to no avail.

What little I read of Jack impressed me none.........

So, are you willing to place a Kimber Montana on the line?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some people are their own reference with respect to some pursuits.

For example, I need not cite a reference to discuss solving quadratic equations with a student.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She is simply a victim of her own "experience" and few would wish that sorta fate on anyone.

Watch her reiterate same,here very shortly................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps we should talk to each other on the phone or meet some day? I get no joy from proving somebody 'wrong' or dictating this or that.

To each his own however I suggest all go back to my post earlier on how to control a rifle while it lets off. Also read O'Connor on that.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[Linked Image]

1 lb trigger under 6lb rifle...........

Truly, I don't make this stuff up, nor would you be proving me wrong in person or by telegram.

I've got exactly one book from O'Connor that was given to me from a yardsale find. Kept it in the bathroom for quite a spell, just in case...........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only person you can prove wrong,is yourself and with uncanny ability to boot.

Congratulations?................

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 49 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,373
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.