-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guys, I have to tell you about my deer spot. This place is semi-urban a few houses within 1/2 mile, mixed with brush, grass, and scrubby russian olive trees. It takes about 10 minutes to get there, so it's a great after work spot. Oh, and it's full of deer. I went out again last night, set up my pop up blind next to a big wild rose bush and under one of the russian olive trees. Petty soon, thump, thump - 4 deer (all does) came running by, one stops at about 7 yards looks around then heads off with the others. About 15 minutes before dark here they come, wow deer all around. Somewhere in the 15 to 20 range....on all sides from 10 yards to 100. There was only 1 spike and 1 two point, the rest were does, but what a hoot watching them. There was no less than 10 easy broadside shots at 20 yards or less. I've hunted this spot over a dozen time and almost always have deer within easy range but man I just never get tired of having them that close. At one point there was 8 does and fawns within 15 yards staring at my blind, trying to figure out what it was. What a hoot.......and with the rut just getting started hopefully a big boy will show soon, before my itchy trigger finger gets the most of me!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds like a blast, I love hunts when you get to watch alot of deer.

loder

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like you need to thin out a few does (yummy)! I have had areas like that. No bucks to speak of, but dozens and dozens of does. A bad winter fixed them in a hurry, along with an explosion of cougars. The spots never came back.

I had a couple of elk spots like that about 6 years ago. Herds of 40-100 cows and calves would come in to feed and water....no bulls. Our illustrious fish and game department issued 3,000 cow tags for a small area. Now I am lucky if I see 6 elk a day. Friggen retarded wildlife management. Enjoy it while you can, because it can change in a single season. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hear you Flinch, this area will no doubt be developed some day. Right now we are in a bit of a downturn so it may last a few more years. I'm currently hitting it about 2 times a week and each time out is just amazing how many deer and how close the encounters are. I'm going to hold out for a nice buck through the rut, then I'll take one of the big does if not. The season goes until mid December. Here in Idaho we only get 1 deer tag, so I have to make the most of it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (akpls, 300_savage, 2500HD, 79S, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 673, 14 invisible), 1,392 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,920
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.