Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"Why ask a cartridge to do something it wasn't designed to do, when you have another cartridge which will do a better job?"

If you "design" it right, its plenty capable.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
True. Most of the rounds we use are versatile, especially with the bullets we have now.
The Swift is over on the end of the spectrum. It's a specialty cartridge. I love it, have had one for 40+ years, but it has limitations which take a lot of work to overcome. These guys have found a way to make it work.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
so, what was the 5.56 Nato designed for? let's see, 150-250# thin skinned animals. grin

but the modern bullets make the diff, like you say

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BMD,

I'm not forced to guess,like you are. Hell,you don't even know how your brainfart is throated and don't think that ain't hilarious.

Keep dreamin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Norma is soft.

R/P rules.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How much deader than dead,can you kill something? I shoot a little of everything(understatement). Good bullets,in good places,do great things and the hilarious part is,all you Do-nothin's are yacking about things you've yet to see or do,though you are steadfast in your copious stupidity.

6mm's? I love 'em and you'll have to try hard to find one twisted slower than 9" currently. 25's? I love 'em and you'll have to try hard to find one twisted slower than 10". 7mm's? I love 'em you'll have to try hard to find one twisted slower than 9".

A 14" Swift is a glaring brainfart of grand magnitude,the depths of which preclude it from using ANY of the bullets in it's bore size,which allow it to shine(and brightly).

I can roll you a buncha kill footage sequences and you'd not be able to discern the .224's from the .243's or the 7mm's or the 30's.

Now define "a long shot in wind" and cite what you are currently gunning in either 6mm or 257...though you are blowing smoke at your azz,when you muse familiarity there......................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don,

The ONLY stunt here,is you talking out your azz,under the illusion that you've a clue of what you are talking about.

You do not and I reckon that's why you wear a helmet..............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me, a long shot in the wind is 400+ at a woodchuck in rolling Va farmland in the summer. I have ZERO experience with 6mm and 25 cal. I go from .22 to .30 in most everything I do. I do carry a 6.5 x 55 when it rains though.
In the 50's the .22s died along with the 25s because of the 6mm.
Do you think Warren Page was a know nothing...It was his idea.
I got a swift because it was cheap, and did what I wanted to do, which was pop woodchucks. Not a bad way to spend the day.
Guys were trading in .22s for 6mm just like the short magnum craze now.

You appear to hunt more than I. You certainly spend more time at the keyboard than I, but I'm retired and can spend more time here than when I had responsibilities.
Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a thought, 300 gr .30 cal.? Why not?
Bill

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I KNOW you have zero experience with the fast twisted .22's,let alone the 6mm's or 25's,which is why I said that very thing.

What is your current Death Ray for those 400yd+ windy pokes?

Do I think Page or anyone else,back in the day when a 14" Swift made perfect sense,due to the length of the bullets of their time...could see the marked developments in projectile technology,that would turn everything they knew on it's ear?

Nope....................

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
300gr 30's? Why not? Because there are none.

For starters..................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make your own.
Bill

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm rather contented with the .625BC 162A-Max in .284"...though I do slum a herd of rather spectacular 30's...................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You think you're smarter than Warren Page? I'm sure he considered the merits of what you champion, and decided it didn't make sense. Those heavy bullets were home made long before you could buy them in a store.
Bill

Last edited by wahoo; 10/30/09.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You dream some spectacular dreams. Rest assured that Warren wasn't cranking J4 jacketed secant ogive VLD's in .224,wearing a polymer tip to further enhance BC's.

Keep yacking,you are a funny bastard.................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This has been an interesting thread.

Here in Montana, if one got every tag out there you probably would not be able to harvest more than about 6 animals in any given species. In the eastern part of the state with special tags you might be able to rack up another dozen animals at best. That's it for big game animals and than one puts away the big cannon for another year. Not much shooting experience.

With a .224 set up the way PWC says one can practice all spring, summer and early fall on live targets. Plenty of shooting experience and dead eye in the fall on big game. Plus you still have a shoulder left at the end of hunting season. Try that with a big cannon!

You would be amazed at the number of hunters I hear say they needed 5 or 6 shots to kill big game animal with big booming cannon. They probably could have kill big game animal with the first shot if they shot more often.

Finally, I worked on a political campaign with a retired damage control hunter for the Feds who hunted everything in the lower 48 states with a .220 Swift including bears. He said the bears DRT. Of course, he was a professional hunter who shot a lot.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Watching trace/impact through the glass,do not hurt the learning curve.

Folks who think killing is hard,simply ain't killed much...............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is this where it gets purty quiet,on your end?

Thought so................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good point. In the east we are spoiled. Did your damage control hunter use a standard Swift? The Rangers here use .223 for this task. Mr Cracker holds the standard Swift in low regard, probably why it wasn't very popular.
When you say boomer, you may misunderstand; I mean 30-06.
The magnums are not fun to shoot for sure. If you used an inferior round like the standard Swift, could you learn more?
Maybe even a .223?
Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just thinking... You really do remind me of my brother in law. Thats not good.
Bill

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.