Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
A lot of folks talk about "DRT" but I'm wondering if they're all meaning the same thing. What does "dead right there" mean to you?

I'll start. To me, "dead right there" and "dropped in its tracks" are one and the same. Not so much as a single step, if it's standing it falls, if it's moving it crumples and slides. No "death run" allowed. In practice that pretty much requires a CNS hit, though once in a while a "behind the shoulder" will tip one over.

Ok, your turn!

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Being hit by Thor's Hammer!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin grin

I'd like to see a moratorium on "DRT" and "bang-flop" here. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm with you Scott.

As long as I walk over and find the deer with minimal fuss I'm happy. To many seem disappointed-in something, I'm not sure what-if they don't have a tongue sticking out before the deer hits the ground. Guessing tongue in the air (TITA) is better than DRT.

Last edited by battue; 11/04/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give me a buck with a bloody nose and I'm happy. smile

WWP53D
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Experience usually teaches one something. wink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Animals will sometimes make a convulsive lunge but to me, this DRT or bang flop means they are dead within their length. It's not be my experience that double lung or behind the shoulder shot gives you a bang flop. A deer with a double lung shot can run a long ways. A deer with a high lung shot can run a long ways without leaving much if any blood trail as the blood is puddling inside of the deer. I'd also like to see the anatomy of the deers that the fellows shoot and get BOTH lungs AND the heart? smile

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
DRT means that the deer was dropped right there, meaning no death run or anything. I've had some DRT's that didn't come close to the CNS or shoulders. It seems that I have gotten more DRT's when shooting very soft bullets that never exited but I'm satisfied whether or not I get DRT's or not because a bullet through the heart/lungs is a dead deer either way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It means he was pole axed with Thor's hammer and bang-flopped dead in his tracks.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
A lot of folks talk about "DRT" but I'm wondering if they're all meaning the same thing. What does "dead right there" mean to you?

It means that I am reading about hunting on the internet.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It means I quit reading the rest of the thread. grin

RH

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To me it means I find the animal with reasonable effort. No way to predict an animal will drop in it's tracks nor do I try to "shoot" for it.

CLB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by himmelrr
It means I quit reading the rest of the thread. grin

RH

laugh

I generally roll with DIV. (dead in vicinity)

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sure Ron White would change it too "Drunk right there."

Now you have got to be one sick hunter to shoot a poor, defenseless-to paraphrase the antis-and drunk deer.

With that sick humor I'm going Grouse hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
On chest-hit game,to me it means the delusional fantasies and unobtainable objectives of people who simply have not shot much game,nor used a very wide variety of bullet types and cartridges...........particularly annoying are those who believe they have discovered the magical combinations of cartridges and bullet construction most likely to bring about the desired results.

The term is absolutely guaranteed to bring about gastrointestinal unrest in those forced to listen to these theories.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
It means he was pole axed with Thor's hammer and bang-flopped dead in his tracks.

...and took a dirt nap like he was narcoleptic! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BobinNH
On chest-hit game,to me it means the delusional fantasies and unobtainable objectives of people who simply have not shot much game,nor used a very wide variety of bullet types and cartridges...........particularly annoying are those who believe they have discovered the magical combinations of cartridges and bullet construction most likely to bring about the desired results.

The term is absolutely guaranteed to bring about gastrointestinal unrest in those forced to listen to these theories.

You sound more like someone with zero experience with mountain goats and such where a single step can easily result in a lost animal...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TOM: DRT means NOTHING at all to me!
In fact I GREATLY prefer that the Mule Deer, Antelope, Elk and Whitetailed Deer I shoot DO run for a short distance.
I WANT this running to occurr because once my bullets pass through the heart/lung area of said game the animal will quite nearly bleed out, and into, its chest cavity.
Thus providing better tasting meat for my families table.
Animals that are spinal tapped or shot in the head do not taste as well as game that has been bled out.
I have learned this fact over the last 50+ years of harvesting all manner of wild game.
Ever wonder why professional slaughter houses "bleed out" their animals prior to butchering?
I'll fill you in - its to provide better tasting meats!
Again DRT means poorer table fare and it means I did not do my job as an ethical an intense Hunter!
Shoot said game through the heart/lungs and enjoy them much more the rest of the year whilst you and your family are eating them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Down
Right
Tasty

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
A lot of folks talk about "DRT" but I'm wondering if they're all meaning the same thing.

Digital Receiver Technology, but I have my engineer hat on right now. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 8 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.