Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Heading to Iowa and don't feel like pulling my trailer all the way out there. Any advice on a set of atv ramps that would work on your average half ton 4x4 pickup bed?

We're hunting an area with a lot of unimproved(non gravel base) roads and if it turns wet we won't be getting around in a truck.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
actually i picked up a folding aluminum ramp from Cabela's. Works great. just make sure you get one that can handle the weight. i load my ATV on my truck bed all the time with it. Then you can fold it up and stick it right under the ATV for unloading later. It was $80. Gander has them, so does F&F.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the aluminum bi-fold model when I want to carry my ATV in the bed. Like semi says, you can slide them up under the machine for transport. I loop a couple of bungees over the ATV rear axle and hook them to the ramp so it won't slide out. One thing I cannot stress enough is being careful with the ramps. After I set mine up and unstrap the ATV, I run the ratchet straps down to the ramp and snug them up to prevent the ramp from slipping off the tailgate.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using something similar to this for the past 6 years and it works great and is cheap to build. I put some spare roof shingles I had laying around on the ramp itself to keep me from sliding off when it gets wet. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...dex&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good advice on these. Had a buddy who had to be life flighted out of the mountains after an accident loading his on a truck with a ramp. Need to get moving on it in next couple of days.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I also use homemade ramps made with those ends and 2x10's. I like a little extra width even though they weigh a bit more. Mine are 6' long. For tall trucks, 7' might work better but obviously they won't fit in a 6' bed. I used 6" non-slip tape on mine with added staples all around. It's held up for several years so far. If you have snow, it doesn't help much, though.

No bungee cords for me. I want ties that won't stretch at all. Bungees are way too weak if you spin a tire. Chain is best. Years ago, I came within an inch of one kicking out on me. I've never loaded without ties since. That's a good way to permanently screw yourself up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Also it helps to have the quad in 4X while loading. Less chance of the rear wheels kicking the ramps off the tail gate or truck box.

Dave
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of the aluminum variety here locally from Bass Pro. The key is to be sure to use the straps that come with them to secure the ramp to the truck to prevent the ramp from slipping. It works great on/with my truck.

You are welcome to borrow mine for your trip if you'd like to try it out first before buying one. Let me know.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I use the aluminum bi-folds mentioned by others. However, I got them on-line from an outfit somehwere up in MN or WI. They were the same price as Cabelas and Bass Pro, but are a little more heavy duty. They are longer than the bed on my truck, but I just use the safety straps to secure them to the bed and have never had a problem going down the road with the tailgate down.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I often load my atv in my partner's truck with a 6' bed. We can't leave the tailgate down because we take a camp trailer. We need them either 6' or folding.

― George Orwell

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Rock Chuck, here's an idea to contemplate when you need to shut your tailgate hauling a quad & pulling a trailer. Not hard to build as you do welding. It raises the front wheels of the quad up so the tailgate can close. Also gives a lot more storage room under the quad for gear.

http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...CROSS-TRAX-ATV-RISERS-W0QQAdIdZ157117573

Dave
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The quad isn't the problem. It fits in. I was responding to the comment about ramps over 6'.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a tri-fold aluminum ramp w/ the safety cabels to load and use the device pictured to secure the ATV to the truck.

It's called a Louisana Guard Dog. Works great and holds the quad rock solid w/out any tie downs, straps, or chains. Added benefit is you can lock it @ the tounge and the hitch.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't think I'd trust that hitch with a 20' camper hanging on it.

― George Orwell

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I like the tri or bi-folds. I don't have a set though, I've got a set of home made suicide ramps.

I'm your perfect example of accident waiting to happen, especially since my wheeler fits best in my truck if loaded backwards shocked

I dumped it this summer loading it backwards.

This old cat aint quite as quick as he used to be but I was still able to get out of the way as me & the wheeler dumped off sideways as I was trying to load in reverse up a set of loose ramps. My tailgate sits about 3 1/2' off the ground.

Definately go for the big one piece type of ramp & make sure you have a decent set of chains or something to secure each side so the ramps cant kick out or slide sideways on you.

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a set of the 6' Harbor freight steel ramps. I always unload by pushing the atv out in neutral on its own. It never rolls more than 10 ft or so on its own. For loading, I ALWAYS look for a ditch or depression to back the truck into to lessen the slope of the ramps. I just don't feel comfortable riding up at full slope when the truck is on flat ground.

I have seen plenty of trucks on the wildlife refuges here that have the truck parked on top of the bifold ramps used to unload the atv. Never leave the ramp on the tailgate. You come back and you have no ramp!

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a lot of that this summer and folks think that they are safe by doing it that way. Thing is, there is nothing to stop someone from jacking up the truck and stealing them that way.

Were it me, I would put them inside the truck so they are locked up. I leave my el cheapo ramps in the back of my truck and nobody has ever touched them.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I like the tri or bi-folds. I don't have a set though, I've got a set of home made suicide ramps.

I'm your perfect example of accident waiting to happen, especially since my wheeler fits best in my truck if loaded backwards shocked

I dumped it this summer loading it backwards.

This old cat aint quite as quick as he used to be but I was still able to get out of the way as me & the wheeler dumped off sideways as I was trying to load in reverse up a set of loose ramps. My tailgate sits about 3 1/2' off the ground.

Definately go for the big one piece type of ramp & make sure you have a decent set of chains or something to secure each side so the ramps cant kick out or slide sideways on you.

I have busted 2 back glasses out of my pickup trying to load backwards. Be carful!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I leave my el cheapo ramps in the back of my truck and nobody has ever touched them.

Same with my $40 Harbor Freight specials....

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
With my old boards and homemade tailgate hooks, I'm always expecting to come back to find a $20 stuck to them with a note to buy something worth stealing.

― George Orwell

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
As already mentioned:

Bifolds.
Securely attached to PU.
Find a ditch/depression to lessen the angle.
4WD engaged.

Then lock them up so some a**hole doesn't steal them while you are out riding.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ran out of time and towed the dang thing all the way to Iowa. Had a nice buck come in on second day and stuck around for 2 days with the guys. Drove all the way home and never pulled it off the truck. It did rain for 3 straight days so it would have been handy if I hadn't scored early.

I will say that the ramps which lock on to the tailgate are the only way I would do it. My buddy wasn't as fast as Northern Dave and had most of his nose torn off and had blood coming out of his ears on his helicopter ride. He recovered but doesn't recommend it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 78 invisible), 2,827 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,953
Posts18,499,082
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.