Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Gee, that wouldn't be from SLICE OF THE WILD by Eileen Clarke, one of the few game cookbooks with photos from field to table?

I think I've heard of that (and have a copy) is it the one that you can order from this link where it will be delivered in time for Christmas? wink

http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/ind...ry&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=6

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just finished nothing to it

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Best thing you can do to cut up your venison, after it is quartered, is use a 6" filet knife. Keep it sharp and it will save you lots of time trimming off the silver skin etc...

Long

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I took 2 this morning, a nice bodied 4pt and a doe. Cut out the backstraps, tenderloins and deboned the meat on the rear and forelegs (on the big deer) on the doe I just took the back leg meat, front legs were too small to be worth the trouble. I used a filet knife to cut the meat once I had cut the hide loose with my main knife. Worked quite well. It's not as pretty as the above pic but it will still eat the same way smile

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CraigCollier
on the doe I just took the back leg meat, front legs were too small to be worth the trouble.

Don't know where you are, but in MT that would be waste of game if you disposed of the front quarters.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"front legs were too small to be worth the trouble"??? sounds like wanton waste

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why is it waste? If the deer was small, the front legs were too small to do much with considering I don't have a grinder.

If deer were a thinning species I could understand the need to get every usable part...but they're not, they're quite plentiful here, in KY, and leaving a couple of front legs isn't considered waste.

They definitely weren't worth the time to skin and debone for what, 2 lbs of meat maybe 3?

If disposing of 2 small front legs is a waste, wouldn't disposing of rib meat and neck meat also be a waste as well?

Last edited by CraigCollier; 11/26/09.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If disposing of 2 small front legs is a waste, wouldn't disposing of rib meat and neck meat also be a waste as well?

I get a reasonable amount off the neck for grinding but if someone can come up with a way too cook deer ribs that doesn't leave my lips stuck together with nasty fat I'd be happy to hear it. I've tried a bunch and now just leave them.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
A gal at our bank told us their favorite part of the deer is the ribs. She said they slow cook it in the oven until the fat is cooked off and the meat gets alittle on the crunchy side. They use seasoning salt for the spice. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This depends on the size of the deer guys. Down here they are smallish and have nothing but bone for ribs. You might get 1/2 cup of trim meat off of the entire ribcage. We are allowed to leave the ribs in the field.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a deer is to small to get meat off front quarters it must be Bambi's 2 day old sibling

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why is it waste? If the deer was small, the front legs were too small to do much with considering I don't have a grinder.

If deer were a thinning species I could understand the need to get every usable part...but they're not, they're quite plentiful here, in KY, and leaving a couple of front legs isn't considered waste.

They definitely weren't worth the time to skin and debone for what, 2 lbs of meat maybe 3?

Do you have the foggiest idea whether or not KY has a wanton waste law? If so, what does it say?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm fairly certain they do not considering you don't even have to take deer to check stations anymore. It's all tele-check now done over the phone. Legally, you could shoot a deer, cut off the antlers and throw the carcass in a ditch.

I searched the current game guide for 2009 as well as across the internet and the answer was no wanton waste law.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can buy a hand grinder at a local farm store usually for $30. A processor will often grind boned out meat for a minimal cost. There should be enough meat on the front shoulders/legs to mess with.

You're right, there is no wanton waste laws in Kentucky that I could find, other than for migratory birds.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
yup, birds is all I could find too.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grandpa taught me how to butcher out a deer when I was 12. Been doing it myself ever since.

We used to take the trim in to have it ground, and then when my wife's family was cleaning out her late grandfather's house, we found an old kitchen-aid stand mixer with a grinder attachment on the front. Everyone agreed it should go to me and the wife, since we were the only active hunters out of the family at the time. So now we do all of it ourselves, and couldn't be happier (although that decades-old mixer and grinder are getting a bit tired, so we'll likely be investing in one of the smaller-size ones from bass pro soon enough).

We usually keep the upper leg muscle whole, boning out as one giant muscle at first. Lower leg muscle, neck, brisket all become trim for the grinder. Hindquarters are boned out much the same as the forelegs, with the rump roasts set aside for the crock pot. Tenderloins and backstraps are kept whole. All fat and silverskin get trimmed before the foodsaver bags are filled and vacuum sealed.

It's always delicious...and i'm thinking a backstrap wrapped in bacon sounds like a great way to start out the week tomorrow. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildswalker
One can also partition off a back corner of a garage into a walk in "cooler", or build a 4'X 4' X 8' tall free standing "building".

Insulate walls/roof with blue foam board, and stick an old air conditioner in the wall set on max cool.......

Wilds, about 15 yrs ago a friend and his dad built one of those 4x4x8 "bldgs" w/ the blue foam board on the inside walls and a little window AC unit built in the side. At first, I thought 'no way, that's crazy crackhead' stuff, but dang it worked great. For as simple as it is, you can get a really good age on that meat, expecially if it is a warm December.

Last edited by LNF150; 11/29/09.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by armedferret
Grandpa taught me how to butcher out a deer when I was 12. Been doing it myself ever since.

We used to take the trim in to have it ground, and then when my wife's family was cleaning out her late grandfather's house, we found an old kitchen-aid stand mixer with a grinder attachment on the front. Everyone agreed it should go to me and the wife, since we were the only active hunters out of the family at the time. So now we do all of it ourselves, and couldn't be happier (although that decades-old mixer and grinder are getting a bit tired, so we'll likely be investing in one of the smaller-size ones from bass pro soon enough).

We usually keep the upper leg muscle whole, boning out as one giant muscle at first. Lower leg muscle, neck, brisket all become trim for the grinder. Hindquarters are boned out much the same as the forelegs, with the rump roasts set aside for the crock pot. Tenderloins and backstraps are kept whole. All fat and silverskin get trimmed before the foodsaver bags are filled and vacuum sealed.

It's always delicious...and i'm thinking a backstrap wrapped in bacon sounds like a great way to start out the week tomorrow. laugh

The lower leg muscles seemed to be wrought with what looked like long stringy tendons (is that right?)...are those parts of the leg only good for grinding?

I tried a piece of the backstrap day before yesterday. Thinly sliced it and dredged it in flour mixed with season salt, ground pepper, and a Jack Daniels BBQ season I got down in TN. Lightly fried it in bacon grease.

My god....I have never, EVER, had deer so fresh tasting as this. Every deer I have ever taken to the processor always came back with a very gamey taste...very strong. No matter if it was a youngin' or an older deer.

This backstrap tasted unlike anything I've ever had. It was quite intoxicating...and I wish I had cooked more!

Even when cutting up the meat I took home, it smelled totally different than meat back from the processor. Hell, when I was cutting the meat off the deer in the field, it was all I could do not to carve off a small piece and eat it right there, raw, in the field smile

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The lower leg muscles seemed to be wrought with what looked like long stringy tendons (is that right?)...are those parts of the leg only good for grinding?

Tendons, blood vessels, and connective tissue, yes. I'm sure the meat could be used for other stuff too like stews and such, but we just toss it in the grinder and make sausage.

Apparently it's working out okay, cause now anytime the smoker fires up, my neighbors are poking their heads out to see what they can come pilfer. laugh

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
There is an EXCELLENT new book called "Gut it, Cut It, Cook It". It is one of the best books I have ever read on deer processing. I would highly recommend it. I have seen it at both Border's and Barnes & Noble, but you can also get it on line.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (300_savage, 308xray, 7mm_Loco, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, 9 invisible), 17,083 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,165
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.