Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have a Canon S-400 and have been getting mixed results with my pics - probably as a result of not understading the affects of my current settings. I realize that there's give and take with each setting so here's what I'd like to do:

Everyday stuff -

Take fast shots of still (scenery/guns) or moving objects (kids/deer/dogs playing) that will be photo quality at a minimum of 4x6.

Special shots -

Take reasonably fast shots (if possible) of still objects (family pictures/special occasions/trophy pics) that will look great even if blown up to 5x7 or 8x10.

Is this possible? I'd like to find a "Do everything setting" but don't mind adjusting settings if I have to. What are the important settings and how do you have them set? After playing with them again tonight (hopefully with better results) my current settings are:

External (round dial)

Camera M (not sure what that means without the book).

Internal settings:

Exp - 0
AWB - Auto
ISO - Auto
Quality - Fine
Size - 1600x1200 or 1024x768
What's the optimal size for 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10?

AiAF? - On
Continuous Shooting - On/High?
AF-assist Beam - On
Digital Zoom - Off
Long Shutter - Off

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I do not yet own a digital camera, although I use one in my part-time job on a "push & pray" basis. I am doing my best to learn as much as I can about this new and developing technology before I spend any money of my own. First, read the owner's manual with camera in hand, and step by step, manipulate the various controls and use the various modes and functions. Then I suggest that you peruse at least these four web sites, photo.net, dpreview.com, stevesdigicams.com and luminous-landscape.com. "luminous-landscape.com" has a set of tutorials and essays that are most informative. The average salesperson who tries to sell you a digital camera doesn't know much more than you do, but he or she has to be pretty good at getting you to spend money. Take your time and do the basic reading and fiddling; all the information to which I've referred is well within the grasp of a high school graduate who will read it carefully and think about what he or she has read and done. If you already have some expertise with conventional film photography, that helps. But it's not necessary. Remember it's your money, not the store's.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Here is a pretty good site with a lot of info on digital cameras
http://www.dpreview.com/

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
US Army 1954-1956

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 1,764 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.