Print Thread
Hop To
A
aimhard Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have a '77 model 99E in .308. When I scoped it and took it to the range I discovered a feeding problem. Sometimes the cartridge falls to the left side of the carrier and drops down, and will not chamber. Two trips to a local smith and $150.00 later I am told it is the nature of that gun in this caliber and can't be fixed. I am then given a "free" lesson in how to load the carrier and hope it feeds correctly. Anyone have any ideas?

GB1

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Something must be a rye I have owned several 99 all fed well however one needed a little adjustment on the rotor spring. Can you post a pict of the misfeed? Might be better to add the pict both here and the savage forum.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, the spring might be weakly set, and/or some crud down there that's impeding it's free movement.. Those rifles normally feed very well..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
aimhard Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
The first time I had it to the smith he rewound the spring. Now its much tighter than my .300 and it didnt help at all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a cartridge guide that is pinned to the left side. If this is damaged, missing or loose, that will cause the misfeed you describe.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aimhard
I have a '77 model 99E in .308. When I scoped it and took it to the range I discovered a feeding problem. Sometimes the cartridge falls to the left side of the carrier and drops down, and will not chamber. Two trips to a local smith and $150.00 later I am told it is the nature of that gun in this caliber and can't be fixed. I am then given a "free" lesson in how to load the carrier and hope it feeds correctly. Anyone have any ideas?

It's an easy fix. Your gunsmith is,,,,,,,,,,,,,well, you can't fix STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Longbeardking:

Rotor (carrier spindel) spring adjustment. If you have problems with the magazine not accepting enough rounds (or not feeding all of the rounds) you might have a rotor that is wound too tight (or not enough).

"If you look just above the cartdidge counter window, you'll see a small screw. If you remove the forend and look at the end of the receiver you'll see a ring that is slotted. You'll need a flat bladed screwdriver with a slot cut through it so it fits well into the slots on the ring. Now being careful. loosen that screw above the window. It only has about 6 or 8 threads on it IIRC and then it's a straight shank beyond that. DO NOT FULLY REMOVE THIS SCREW YET!!! While you are loosining that screw, you want to have the slotted screwdriver in place holding the rotor from turning. On the rotor, there are a series of slots around the diameter for that screw above the window to engage. If you rotate the rotor ever so slightly you can feel the slot on that screw. Holding the rotor in place, gently remove the screw. Once that screw is fully removed you should feel resistance on the slotted screwdriver. This is where you have to be careful. 2 people really help, although I did it alone. Rotate the rotor only slightly (clockwise if too tight and counter-clockwise if too loose)and place the screw you removed back into the hole you took it out of. You'll feel it contact the rotor. Carefully rotate the rotor until the screw engages the next slot in the rotor. Replace the screw once it's in a slot and thread it in. You want to go no more than one slots adjustment and I think you should be OK. I hope I haven't confused you any more than you already might be."

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

A
aimhard Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks for the ideas.

A
aimhard Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thanks LBK, fixed it myself with your info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aimhard
Thanks LBK, fixed it myself with your info.

You are entirely welcome. I seriously would print out this thread info, as well as the info off the Savage Collectors thread, go back to the smith and ask for a refund. At least make him understand he shouldn't be calling himself "gunsmith".

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm with LBK, go back to the smith you brought it to ..
he should at least do something for you.. he just didn't know anything aabout 99's... some guys just don't like to admit when they'er in the dark..

plab

Gotta love them 303's
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.