Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 858
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 858
Barnes bullets don't always kill on the first shot.

LAWRENCE ROOT of Pinedale, WY
Date posted: 5/1/2005
Opening morning 2004 my buddy from PA borrowed my 1958 721 300 H&H loaded with 168 3x BTs at 3100 fps that put 3 in 3/4" @100. A 14" buck trotted by his rock blind at 225 yards. First shot a bit low broke right shoulder, buck stopped and quartered toward him. Second shot (He's an old bolt action match shooter!) hit high lungs, broke spine and dropped the Lope dead at about 200 yds. No recovered bullets (Never are with Xs). Accurate, deadly, always 2 holes and work in everything from my 25-06 to 12 bore (sabots). Why are there other bullets at all?

Barnes TSX Midway Review

Your point? Assuming you have one

Shot placement is still more important than the type of bullet. Just ask Lawrence Root.

No need to ask anyone, I thought that was given. It is just that the better bullet always more angles inorder to place the bullet into the kill

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just wondering how you loose nice trophys and blame the bullet. There isn't one bullet out there that is impervious to failure, I shoot the TSXs and older Xs and the XLCs all with 100% confidence. If you loose a trophy you better start looking at yourself the shooter as I haven't seen anything bullet proof but I have seen people that claim to be shooters who can't hit a bull in the ass. My 10yr old daughter shoot lights out with a 22-250 and the 45gr TSXs and deer are dead, so bullets don't loose trophys HUNTERS DO!!. HAPPY HUNTING

Originally Posted by Tonk
Perhaps Barnes and a few other bullet makers are getting the formula correct on copper bullets nowdays! However, I been a victom of the marketing readeric since 1995 and have tried several rifles in various calibers, using the BARNES X bullet, Blue XLC bullet and it is always the same old song and dance routine. Bullets do not shoot accurately in rifles, nor do they open or mushroom out as they should.

I have lost a couple of nice trophy's along the way down the yellow brick road with Barnes bullets. I myself have run them through my media tests and water tank tests. My results still proved that Barnes never got it right in comparison to what a Nosler Partiton does in dependability of being accurate and the bullet mushrooming out on big game animals.

I am still a skeptic on copper bullets! If they don't open up on your animal, chances are they will never be recovered for comparison sake. My water tank test is the best I have seen so far and I am not holding my breath on anybody's pure copper bullets outdoing a lead jacketed bullet.

However, I hope for the sake of the hunter who purchases their bullets, they can finally get things 100% correct for a change. I won't be holding my breath or discarding my TBBC, Swift A Frames, Woodleighs or Nosler Partition bullets any time soon, gentlemen of the pure copper bullet!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
THATS the bottom line right there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Those banana bullets are funny...they HAD to be wobbleing pretty good to do that & regardless of the make or composition of the bullet, if it is wobbleing either from lack of sufficient twist or deflection due to brush, it is gonna do the same thing be-it a partition, corelokt, whatever...You guys that are posting those pics are only reinforcing my opinion that you really do not have a clue...

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't bet a whole lot on that.................

Clueless in Tennessee.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by ruger243223
Just wondering how you loose nice trophys and blame the bullet. There isn't one bullet out there that is impervious to failure, I shoot the TSXs and older Xs and the XLCs all with 100% confidence. If you loose a trophy you better start looking at yourself the shooter as I haven't seen anything bullet proof but I have seen people that claim to be shooters who can't hit a bull in the ass. My 10yr old daughter shoot lights out with a 22-250 and the 45gr TSXs and deer are dead, so bullets don't loose trophys HUNTERS DO!!. HAPPY HUNTING

Sometimes yes, but your statement is not an absolute. Bullets can lose animals. Even with perfect placed shots. I have seen it.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Iraklion
Originally Posted by ruger243223

Sometimes yes, but your statement is not an absolute. Bullets can lose animals. Even with perfect placed shots. I have seen it.

If the animal was lost, how did you determine the shot was placed perfectly?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Powerguy,

If the animal was lost, how did you determine the shot was placed perfectly?

It's not nice to bring a logical question into an emotional argument. Logic is for reasonable people. but then, you already knew that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I said I have seen it. Hence it is not an emotional argument sir. I saw a bull elk smacked in the shoulder with a 160 gr Sierra Gameking from a 7mm rem mag. I was the spotter, I saw it hit. Never found the elk.

Am I the only one who has seen a bullet fail? Gotta be kidding right?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bullets can lose animals. Even with perfect placed shots. I have seen it.

Your comments really are a few fries short of a Happy Meal.
You haven't seen anything and btw your pants are on fire.

I have seen it.

You remind me of the poster here who said he saw a mountain lion
dragging a domestic bull up into a tree. "I have seen it".
LOL!

For what it's worth, I believe the major problem with the X/TSX design is the hollow point.

Nothing wrong with the hp.

The real problem is the owner of Barnes Bullets who cannot buy good copper consistently for making bullets. Randy's own admission.

When they work they are great but they are obviously inconsistent.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Interesting how you know my life's experiences better than me.
How can I possibly argue with that ?

And by the way. Someone seen a bullet fail is he same as a mountain lion dragging a bull?
Is this the only way you can respond to a post? Calling people you do not know ignorant and untruthful? Why so much anger my boy? Get some pro help man. Be happy not angry.
Now turn that frown upside down and see a therapist.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've seen a perfectly placed bullet that would have lost a critter if I didn't plant one in him.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wonder if those pink TSX's were soaked in hydrogen peroxide?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Iraklion
I said I have seen it. Hence it is not an emotional argument sir. I saw a bull elk smacked in the shoulder with a 160 gr Sierra Gameking from a 7mm rem mag. I was the spotter, I saw it hit. Never found the elk.

Am I the only one who has seen a bullet fail? Gotta be kidding right?

I am with you Iraklion. I have seen it too. However I also think the shooter plays an equal part in both shooting ability and choosing a wrong bullet/round combo. I have skinned more than one bull with bullets lodged in the shoulder and scared over from seasons past. They have mostly been 24 and 25 cals (I suspect from deer hunters happening upon elk) but I have found 27 and 30 cal lead core bullets as well. Whether these "failed" bullets were fired from a 30-30 or a 30-378 is impossible to determine but regardless it lowers my confidence with cup and core bullets on elk. This is why I don't recommend shoulder shots on elk with "deer" rifles and cup and core bullets.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My experience with TSXs is limited but successful. However many people I know who've hunted the world, from Marco Polo sheep to many species of African game and the big bears ALL swear buy them. I HAVE to take their opinion seriously. Having said that, I think TSXs (and not so much TTSXs) like velocity and since I am convinced speed kills, it's a perfect recipe for me. At 3250 out ofmy 300 Weatherby or even 3000 out of my H&H, they FLATTEN game, always exit and leave nothing but jelly inside. For my 06, I'll stick with Partitions or Hornady Interlocks. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My experience with TSXs is limited but successful. However many people I know who've hunted the world, from Marco Polo sheep to many species of African game and the big bears ALL swear buy them. I HAVE to take their opinion seriously. Having said that, I think TSXs (and not so much TTSXs) like velocity and since I am convinced speed kills, it's a perfect recipe for me. At 3250 out ofmy 300 Weatherby or even 3000 out of my H&H, they FLATTEN game, always exit and leave nothing but jelly inside. For my 06, I'll stick with Partitions or Hornady Interlocks. jorge

They do seem to have quite a reputation. The main reason I avoid all copper is that I refuse to give in to the "save the condors and eagles" frame of mind (and thus have no experience with the TSX).

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Load up a TSX and flame a condor with it....

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Dog...First of all Semper Fi!

I agree also. Shot placement and bullet selection are in fact pertinent and paramount.

All I m saying is that sometimes bullets fail too.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Oldma42: Why on earth would you aim your Rifle at the "anus" of a Big Game Animal then pull the trigger?
Is it your intention to RUIN all the meat possible on said game animals with each shot you take?
Start actually HUNTING and quit "shooting" Game Animals would be my first suggestion to YOU!
Sheesh man!
HOld into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldman1942
[Linked Image]

These bullets at 225, 260, and 285 yards shot out of the smaller cased Whelen may explain why this:

[Linked Image]

happened at 540 yards with the larger cased 340.

I'm not convinced that a meaningful improvement has been made in the TSX in terms of terminal performance.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
On needs to know how to much the right bullets to the right cartridge.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 34 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.