Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
gotloud Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
so i used to assume an arrow was an arrow. grab one and shoot it. since i have joined this forum i keep hearing about stiffness, weights, matching to your bow draw weight, etc. can someone explain to me what stiffness does, how it relates to the way your arrow shoots, how to match weight and stiffness to your bow and broadheads, and about anything else that is handy to know when choosing arrow/bow/broadhead setups? im shooting an unknown model of reflex at aprox 60# with ics bowhunter 400 and 125 grain muzzy mx-3. the arrows have the factory fletchings, i believe 4". im sighted in, shoot good groups, but wouldnt dare throw a field point in in fear of missing the target. i assume that broadheads and fieldpoints should fly the same yes? am i too heavy or to light or what? if i can get answers to my questions i will feel alot better and not feel so left out lol! oh, final question, what are some good books about archery...history, modern, arrows, just everything about it. thanx everyone!

Reflex bow, truglo sights, whisker buiskit rest, truball release, beeman carbon arrows, muzzy mx-3 broadheads
[Linked Image]
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good resource is the "Easton Arrow tuning guide" a must read for all archers. It can be found on the Easton website [I think under downloads]

And as I recall there is some info pertaining to this on bowjackson.com

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Your best Archery resource:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Ask away........

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depending how long your arrows are you should be ball park with the setup described above. Spine is the amount an arrow deflects from straight with a weight haninging in the middle at a 28" span. The spine and or deflection allows the arrow to bend upon release, absorbing the energy from the bow and transfering it to the arrow. Arrows with too weak of a spine bend more than necessary and are not as efficient as possible and do not provide the best accuracy. Arrows too stiff are better than too weak, but also do not provide the most efficient setup. Remember that an arrow is pushed by the nock until the nock releases from the string, then it is pulled through the air by the point. This is where Front of Center becomes involved.....whole 'nother can of worms. - The Easton Tuning Guide is a great resource, read it, even if you don't understand it all at first. Wait a couple weeks and read it again.......It will soak in. Till then, keep shooting and have fun.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 22magnut, 62 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,246
Posts18,525,054
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.