Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm planning to order a 16" upper, and I am curious is there is any difference between the RRA Mid-Length and CAR versions. Is it just a personal preference, concerning the size of the hand guards, or is there a reliability/cycling issue with the different placements of the gas block & lengths of the gas tube?

I'm guessing there is no reliability/cycling difference between the two, but I figured I'd ask.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If built correctly there isn't a difference in reliability, all should be sized correct as to tubes vs gas ports, buffers, springs etc.... just depending on the setup.

I"d personally take the midlength though, it feels better even if its fugly to me. And it gives a longer cycle for the gas at that point, which means gas port size would be less critical.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well yes and no...

Given the location where gas is tapped is lower on a mid length, you have less to contend with. Even more so with the rifle length system. Both are easier on parts than the carbine system to start with.

That said the carbine system has been tweaked to the fullest and with the right parts can be just as reliable as any other.

Comparing the midlength and carbine systems set up correctly, shooting the same ammo, the midlength will be easier to shoot but the difference is not great. The greatest comparison is to shoot a rifle then a carbine, the rifle is smoother.

While I have only carbine systems now if I were starting over I'd be going midlength but Colt and LMT don't offer them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sabre Defense and Bravo Company do though grin

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks, guys. I was trying to decide between RAA's Coyote Carbine upper or customizing an A4 mid-length upper. I was leaning toward the mid-length, because I could get it with a stainless barrel/Wylde chamber, as the Coyote Carbine only comes with a CM barrel/5.56 NATO chamber.

I think I'll go with the stainless mid-length.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Depending on your intended uses, I would contact White Oak Armament to see what they could do for you in the form of an upper. They have a 16" barrel with the Wylde and 1/7 twist rate that would be my choice with a midlength gas system for a highly accurate hunting type build.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ditto on WOA!

I do realize the shorties have been perfected too TWR, but given everything you have the same length OAL, and a bit less stress, I'd take the less stress every time. Though they are FUGLY to my eye, of course I don't care about looks either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another option might be the Armalite M15T upper which is SS and a mid length 20", comes in either Black or Green. I have had very good luck with their products over the years.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=U15A4TB&Category=bce7fa68-373e-4afc-b00e-63fe2c75d131

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya Jeff, the midlength's with regular handguards are FUGLY but of course we'd put a rail or a tube on them and no one would know the difference....

I actualy have a 16" carbine that has a 9" rail on it and if I ever find the right midlength barrel, I might swap it out. I did like the Kreiger midlength barrel I had but let a thing like money (or lack of) cloud my mind.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I went the Mid length to get the extra length in the handguard. I built my own piston system rifles and like them very much, and as a added bonus get a slightly longer sight radius. If I were to go the CAR route I would want the short barrel, and standard flash hider, but that puts me into the NAF realm and I don't want to go there.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.