Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
these days I'd give a slight edge to the 2.5x8

I've both scopes and like them both, but mine are older I can't fathom why they reduced the objective end on the 1.75x6, I like my old one.

but for practical purposes not a dimes worth of difference imo

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Agreed, my .375 wears a 1.5x6x26 B&L because the ring spacing is too long for the 2.5x8. You can get the special ring/base combo to overcome this obstacle, but to my eyes anyway, the extension rings aren't as clean-looking as the regular ones.

Thus, the winner is the 1.5x6, but only by a hair.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 2.5-8 leupold fits fine on a model 70 with either Dual Dovetails or warne QD's. Spacing is just fine. Other actions used may have different issues but the Win pre64/classic is a great fit.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Been having the same dilemma with a new CZ550 FS in 9.3x62. The gun would look great with the 1.5-5 but not sure I'm willing to give up the objective size for light/F.O.V. Also don't know how much it would matter having never owned one. I've got the 2.5-8 on two pre-64's and find it to be about ideal. Anyone know how that scope would fit the CZ? I've got Talley QR's for it.

Having only been to Africa once this past June I understand that for a rifle for there the 1.5x5 is likely less of an issue in regard to light gathering ability. Reality however is that while I intend to take this rifle there "someday", in the meantime I'm relegated to toppling deer over with it in NW PA where much of my shooting is likely to occur at first or last light in dense cover. I worry that the 20mm objective may be a hindrance then. That leaves me leaning towards the 1.75x6 or 2.5x8 for the somewhat larger objective. Anyone have any real world experience with the smaller scope in low light? Or better ideas for the CZ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ckr
Anyone have any real world experience with the smaller scope in low light? Or better ideas for the CZ?

I do. I looked high and right for a good "cat" scope to hunt leopards in low/artificial light. I gave the Leupold 1.5X5X20 with an illuminated reticle and 30mm tube and it was all but useless in low light. The 2.5X8X36 is much better, but I settled on the 3.5X10X50mm ill reticle for that SPECIFIC application. I really don't care for that huge objective lens, but let me tell you it works. For a test environment, I used my friend's hog hunting outfit in the swamps of SC. Lots of opportunity there for low light on dark hogs. The Swaro 1.75X6X42 was also fantastic, but the I settled on the aforementioned Leupie. Just as you said, there is really not much need for a good light transmitting scope for jut about all African hunting, and the 1.5X5 is one of my favorite scopes, but in low light they suck. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thanks. I assumed that would be the case but with no real world experience was unsure. If everything was done in full daylight I'd love to put the little scope on the CZ but since that's not my reality if the 2.5-8 fits it'll probably get the nod. I won't be doing any after dark or situations where ill. ret. is needed and I can't see the gun with anything any bigger on it without ruining the fung shway.

J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ckr

Anyone have any real world experience with the smaller scope in low light? Or better ideas for the CZ?

I have experience. The only solution is an excellent scope.

Not needed for most hunting save leopard and lion. Rule these out and the Leupold 1.5x5x20mm is a GREAT scope for a 375H&H.

I despise large objective scopes in general, but on a 375H&H in particular, especially one you will carry a lot. I prefer straight tube scopes. To enjoy maximum low light performance from a smaller objective scope, move to a 30mm tube to get a 24mm objective lens (only 20mm with 1" straight tube scopes.) Move to Swarovski or Schmidt&Bender. I have both and prefer the S&B ~1x4x24mm, which has the clearer brighter image in all linght to my eye.

But the new Swarovski Z6 1x6x24mm with illuminated reticle might just be the perfect scope for a 375H&H! A no 4 reticle with an illuminated dot is the perfect combo for all shooting situations.

If you doubt that top quality optics will make up for large objectives from decent scopes, take a couple into the woods and swap amoungst them noting the time when you could no longer make out target images. On a moonlit night, you could stay out damn near all night with a Swaro or S&B. But you'd be getting a good nights sleep with ANY Leupold.

Of course, for the ultimate low light shooting, you would need to move to the top Euros, Swaro and S&B AND go with a larger objective lens.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 12/01/09.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the 1.5-5x20 on my .375 and it has worked out very well out to 300 yds. Works great at 20 on buff, too, and stands up extremely well to recoil.

I hunt a lot of deer in SC and they are generally nocturnal, so I use a medium bore with a 50 mm objective Leupold. I have also used the S&B's and Zeiss's in the same circumstances. On Dec 2 I was sitting in a SC deer stand waiting to be picked up and the moon was full. I could have nailed a deer in the moonlight easily with my Leupold, so that reference about this brand of scope being insufficient in low light conditions is inaccurate.

I have taken dozens of deer at dawn and twilight with the 50mm Leupold, and see no reason whatsoever to spend more money for the same effect.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since you guys are talking low power scopes, low light and long tubes..

My 1.8-5.5x38mm Zeiss Conquest is the best $300 I *ever* spent on gun stuff. Wow. And a long tube. I love the 2.5-8 Leupold; I own 5 of them. The Conquest kills them in low light.

Many's the time I've thought what a great scope it'd be for a .375! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Last time I looked, Leupold makes a VX7, 30mm scope in the 1.5-6X24 mm. Has their Extended Twilight System. Should work as well as the anything. Their largest VX7, when tested against the same size Zeiss with Zeiss's "T" coatings, tested a few tenths of 1% better. E

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I see you still haven't figured out how to focus out the soft edges in your Leupolds Jeff. E

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You can focus till your blue in the face, they aren't better than Zeiss. Of course you haven't any experience with model you were attacking but that's par for the course.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would never take a Zeiss over a Leupold, they are heavy, clumsy, and in most models you have to refocus with a change of power and thats BS...The Ziess and most European scopes belong on closet queens and if fact do..and yes, I have used them all,so I don't buy off on a lot of this stuff..It boils down in most cases to the only difference in men and boys is the price of the mens toys..If it cost more it must be better! In your dreams! smile

I also find it strange that some think a 8X scope gathers more light than a 2.5X because the optical boys tell me different..I have never had a problem shooting at night with any scope btw, and yes I have hunted Leopards and I have culled Plainsgame and buffalo at night.

My favorite scopes for a 375 H&H and larger calibers, are the fixed 3X Leupold followed by the 1x4 and 1.5x5 Leupolds. I base that on a lot of time spent actually hunting, not surmising or repeating what someone told me.

If I am going to shoot a 458 Lott or larger, the only scope I know that will handle that kind of recoil for very long is the Leupold and only then in the 2.5X compact. The rest will trash within 250 rounds and most of the time in less than a 100. Those that tell me their Lott or 500 has had a big European scope on it for years tells me its been in the gun case and used a lot for showing to friends and relitives! smile

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I run the 2.5-8 on my 375 ruger African and it served me well on my last safari in 08. Five one shot kills. All shots were under 200 yards but some were through the brush and I appreciated the 8 power setting for threading the needle. I took a 55" kudu threading one through some brush. Plus it just seems to look right on the rifle and I'll likely use it here for elk more than I'll use it in Africa

I also had a stainless 2.5-8 on my alaskan 375 ruger but I sold that rifle and put the scope on my new ss 338rcm. I love it on the rcm it fits the gun well. I carried it a lot this year in eastern Idaho elk hunting in an area with a lot of bears including some griz. I liked carrying it on 2 but knowing I could crank it to 8 to shoot further if needed. The smaller shorter rcm/leupie combo was a joy to carry and comes up and gets on target fast. But, after having said all that the other one would likely work just as well. The only fixed scopes I run anymore are a 6x42 on my whelen, and a 2.5 Lyman Alaskan on an old custom 03A3 30-06 with a fiddleback myrtlewood stock that's juust on it cause I like the classic look.

Bb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mr. Atkinson, the Conquest I mentioned is not expensive. I paid $299.

Emericus, my scopes are focused for optimum performance in low light. Seems like that's where it matters, and besides when I focus in low light everything is fine in "more" light. Anyway the 1.8-5.5 Conquest does kill my Vari and VX-III 2.5-8's. YMMV, of course.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wow! I guess I'm surprised. I own Leupold and Zeiss. I have used a Zeiss COnquest 3.5X10X44 hard for a couple of years and I prefer it to any Leupold (I own 12) I own and I know I've not had to refocus it once properly focused. In fact, I'd always bought Leupold exclusively up until now. I've never had a problem with the Zeiss and its mounted on the farthest thing from a safe queen. I will tell you that I only own the one, so I suppose my experience is very limited (although a friend owns the same scope and his experiences are similar). But, it is the clearest scope I own and that includes the VXIII I bought when Leupold changed everything over this past year ( this is a wonderful scope too and near the equal of the Zeiss in my opinion). It's tracking is also better than any Leupold I own too.

Scopes seem to be a fairly subjective matter. I gave up on Burris about 10 years ago because every one I owned had to be returned to the factory within a year of purchase. Other folks' had far better experiences.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by atkinson
I would never take a Zeiss over a Leupold, they are heavy, clumsy, and in most models you have to refocus with a change of power and thats BS...The Ziess and most European scopes belong on closet queens and if fact do..and yes, I have used them all,so I don't buy off on a lot of this stuff..It boils down in most cases to the only difference in men and boys is the price of the mens toys..If it cost more it must be better! In your dreams! smile

I find the above a very odd read, can't imagine needing to refocus a scope after I adjusted the power, not on my scopes does this happen. I'm sorry you seem so closed minded toward other options, I also like Leupolds but also can see the merits of other manufacturers - optically Zeiss, Swaro & S&B are heads and tails above Leupold. But to each his own.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
cfran: While I agree with you in principle, the "light years" ahead is a stretch and that's not just me saying it but factual. Sure the scopes you mentioned have an edge on the Leupolds when it comes to light transmission, but at what price? For African hunting (except for cats over bait in low light) the Leupolds give you everything you need. I own them all (except S&B) and I can say Leupolds are the best value scope out there and for a Big Bore, I'll take the 1.5X5X20 Leupie for durability anytime. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
you all have better eyes than mine I run a Leupold 1.5-6x42 LPS scope and have a nice view of the barrel at 1.5x and have a hard time shooting paper at 300 yards with only 6x. Havent been to Africa and here in Wisconsin I leave it dialed at 6x for hunting because if you cant see it you cant hit it.

Zeiss makes an excellent fixed 4x28 Conquest but given what i know of scopes (a leupold M8 12x, vari XIII 4.5-14x, and above mentioned 1.5-6x42) am looking at a Zeiss or Leupold 3-9x for my 375 Holland and Holland and will leave it dialed at 3x for the non dangerous big stuff when I get there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a CZ 550 in 9.3X62, my choice was a Burris Signature Safari in 1.75X6X32 with the 3P #4 reticle. Fits the rifle perfect and seems to be a very good match. Wide field of view and more than enough magnification for the hunting situations I've been in. Also have used the Leupold 2.5X8 compact. Either should work very well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 18,090 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,842
Posts18,537,256
Members74,047
Most Online19,878

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.