-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done outside sales for the last 22 years and would only go honda or toyota. I found a 2001 Camry XLE with 50,000 miles the other day for $8,000. If the objective is low cost, long distance driving that would have been perfect.

GB1

J
Jamison Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys for all the recommendations. I have been in outside sales for three years, and have put about 25K miles per year on my Scion. I am taking a better job in Medical sales(not Pharma) and want/need a vehicle better suited to the type of work I will be doing. The Scion was a mandated thing at my past company, and it was OK for driving around the city, but the out of town trips weren't fun.
I am not buying new, however, I want something that is still in factory warranty and has a clean history/one owner. The Accord I am looking at has 16K miles and has all the stuff on it that I want. Its a little more than I want to pay, but still is $6K less than new.
safariman and 1akhunter-- Thanks for the tips, I am still green and could use any help offered. I pretty well got used to no's at my last job, but its always nice to talk to other road warriors, as it can seem lke you are the only one out there sometimes.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
For a car, the new Taurus gets pretty good reviews, and you're supporting an American company that isn't owned by Obama.

+1 about Customers paying attention to the car you drive. If they are tied to a car company, you'd best show up in one of those cars. One company I worked for, who sold direct to the Big Three, always made sure their salesmen drove a car from their prime customer.

If again I had a road warrior job, I'd look at the small SUV's, too. Ford does have a Hybrid Escape, which has good economy, albeit at a higher price. They aren't a rock crawler, but you would still find them useful for outdoors stuff.

True enough here. We test drove a 2010 Taurus SHO last month...she lives up to the hype. It's fast, fast enough to make the salesman nervous when he rides with you. wink

Camp is where you make it.
J
Jamison Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2008 Honda Accord EX-L, Silver, Grey Leather, all options except Navigation...I'm happy with it...Thoughts?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice looking car, hope that it treats you well. Don't forget the Mobil 1 oil changes every 6K miles and do the timing belt when the time comes!

Drive safely!

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just more Jap Crap. YAwwwwnnnnnn.....

Gonna feel mighty small on long road rides.

They, meaning the Jap car companies and industry and country are not our economic or otherwise friends.

Good luck in the new job, when you make some money get yourself a Cadillac or a Buick.

As for road warrior stuff, PM sent.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You can't go wrong with a Caddy...no kidding.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AWD CTS or STS would totally rock for this application. BTDT as well.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Like it, nice ride! Since my last 2 GM cars lost engines at 54,000 and 112,000 miles (And yes I changed the oil and did maint) never again for me. I'll bet that "Japanese" was car built in Ohio like mine! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With parts from Japan and the profits going back to the Mother country. The 'assembled in the USA' crap does not fool me, too bad it does some who might otherwise be red blooded patriots.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I will leave it alone except for what I have already said including - most important- congratualations and give me a ring for travel tips when in the road sales world. Plus get a Caddy when you can.

Blessings and genuine wishes for great success,

MARK

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I suppose GM doesn't use any imported parts either. Profits now going to the UAW and obama.

Good luck Jamison, I hope you have safe travels!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've owned Toyota, Honda, and VW Jetta TDI. I ran the Toyota Corolla wagon 345,000 miles. It was still running perfect, no smoke when I sold it. The Jetta TDI wagon was by far the most ergonomic, well made, and safe. Zero maintenance problems, 10,000 mile oil changes- what a Japanese car wishes it was.
Due to size considerations, the TDI was sold and I replaced it with a Honda Odyssey. It has been flawless so far, but in no way would I consider it to be close to the VW TDI in quality. I have always considered the Hondas to be a slight step above Toyota in ergonomics and design. Engines are a tossup.
If I were out selling, I'd buy an American car. Forget your new requirement. We've had two Bonnevilles (new body style post Y2K). The 3.8 in these (and the geezer Buicks) will run 300,000 easy on oil changes only. They're huge inside, and the Bonnevilles handle very well. Leather, heated seats, moonroof, premium sound, huge trunk, very sporty looks for a four-door (the only four-door the wife will drive.) No longer made, but finding a like-new '05 will run you a helluva lot less than that Honda, will impress your customers at lunch, and still run you down the road at 31 mpg 75mph.
Don't buy new when starting out on a new sales job- it's not the time to lose money. Start out small, and as suggested, get the Caddie when you earn and deserve it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Jamison
[Linked Image]

2008 Honda Accord EX-L, Silver, Grey Leather, all options except Navigation...I'm happy with it...Thoughts?

My thought...that's a good looking car. If you're happy with it, that's all that counts.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by safariman
AWD CTS or STS would totally rock for this application. BTDT as well.

The problem with those are....they're GM vehicles. Good luck with your government run vehicles. The man bought what HE wanted with HIS money. Not yours.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Jamison

My thoughts are I could be happy with that.

- Tom

J
Jamison Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have no doubt that most of the American cars will run 2-300K miles now, but I am still seeing poor quality in the rest of the car. I have a Suburban that is 9 years old and its been thru several window motors. The interior trim is not comparable to the '95 Camry I had, in quality or durability. I put 200K on the Camry and still got $2k for it in trade when it was 11 years old. I have nearly 200K on the Suburban, and have no plans to get rid of it, but it doesn't have any competetion in the foreign market(or domestic, either). My grandmother still has a '93 Grand Marquis, and its had nothing but trouble with the transmission since it was new. I can't even list all the problems a pard has had with the two Buicks he has. Some really goofy electrical issues steered me away from Buick.

Like tzone said, I bought what I wanted, I got a good deal and am satisfied. There was a CTS sitting next to it on the lot, and even though its a caddy, it didn't rate comparison to the Accord.

I guess everybody has their preferences, that's why we don't all drive the same car...

J
Jamison Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Gonna feel mighty small on long road rides.

Thats funny, considering that the Accord is longer, taller AND wider than the Cadillac CTS...go figure.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you did real good. Honda's have a well deserved reputation of going way out there in mileage with little more than tires,oil and filter changes, and 100,000 mile spark plug changes.
I was going to suggest you try a test ride in a brand new high end Civic. I was looking at newer, low mileage Accords and made the mistake of taking an Civic for a test drive.
If you are financing a hefty amount the with lower financing usually available on new vehicles can mean you can spend quite a few thousand more than used while paying less.

J
Jamison Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I could have gotten a new 4 cyl Loaded Civic for the same price I paid for this used loaded accord with the V6. I also looked at the Corolla S with the 2.4 L, alloy wheels and all the other bells and whistles. It was a little less money and alot less car...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Jamison:

I don't think you should feel at all embarrassed about buying Japanese.

The American auto industry abused my loyalty for 30 years. It'll take that long for it to win me back.

- Tom

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.