Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Put a light fast bullet into the lungs and you will get a quick kill and no wasted meat unless the leg is in the way when you shoot.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
So far my short hunting career has allowed me to bag 9 deer. I know most of yall have killed more in one season but I have enjoyed reading your posts and wanted to comment as well.

I have yet to track a deer. Not one. The longest run one has taken after shot was at the most 10 yards. I find it interesting and sometimes confusing when I read threads about guys tracking them 50,100, even 300 yards plus. I am just not getting the same results but believe me I am not complaining. Maybe its just luck on my part but honestly 8 of the 9 deer have been bang flops. I find them where they stood when I pulled the trigger. I also took a moose in Vermont three years ago with a shotgun slug of all things. He was a bang flop also.

I have practiced alot on bullet placement on usually have hit the same general place on all the deer, high shoulder shot and just behind it. Usually all that is lost is a fist size portion of backstrap and less than half that of shoulder meat. I gladly will give that up as bloodshot in trade for finding the deer and not losing the whole thing. Ballistic tips, Hornady sst's, and core lokts in 308, 7mm-08, and 7mm rem mag are what I have shot them with. I dont think the deer are dying that rapidly from blood loss but instead an interruption to their CNS followed/ coupled with bloodloss while down. For me that has been the most effective bullet placement point if you will and will stick with it until that stops working.....

Thanks

Scott

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
An old guide in Colorado always claimed he used a 45-70 and "you could eat right up to the hole"

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scotts308
So far my short hunting career has allowed me to bag 9 deer. I know most of yall have killed more in one season but I have enjoyed reading your posts and wanted to comment as well.

I have yet to track a deer. Not one. The longest run one has taken after shot was at the most 10 yards. I find it interesting and sometimes confusing when I read threads about guys tracking them 50,100, even 300 yards plus. I am just not getting the same results but believe me I am not complaining. Maybe its just luck on my part but honestly 8 of the 9 deer have been bang flops. I find them where they stood when I pulled the trigger. I also took a moose in Vermont three years ago with a shotgun slug of all things. He was a bang flop also.

I have practiced alot on bullet placement on usually have hit the same general place on all the deer, high shoulder shot and just behind it. Usually all that is lost is a fist size portion of backstrap and less than half that of shoulder meat. I gladly will give that up as bloodshot in trade for finding the deer and not losing the whole thing. Ballistic tips, Hornady sst's, and core lokts in 308, 7mm-08, and 7mm rem mag are what I have shot them with. I dont think the deer are dying that rapidly from blood loss but instead an interruption to their CNS followed/ coupled with bloodloss while down. For me that has been the most effective bullet placement point if you will and will stick with it until that stops working.....

Thanks

Scott

Your right, bullet placement and using a good bullet is key to what happens. The shot you described is highly recommended by the 'Best in the West' tv show (I think that's the one). Unfortunately, everyone doesnt have that same shot, everytime. Others choose not to mess-up shoulders and backstraps. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, it's just what a person wants to do.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by selmer
Oh, and Scott not only put out a public reconciliation, I also got a kind PM from him as well. I was afraid we had another troll on our hand, but it appears not to be the case.
Same here- think he will fit it just fine.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 79 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,724
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.