Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Does anyone know whether barrels for Savage 219/220 models will interchange with Stevens 94s? It appears that the designs are similar, but are the dimensions close enough to allow interchange? If possible, I would like to obtain a 219 barrel and fit it onto a M94 frame and have a nice single shot rifle. Any informed opinions would be welcomed.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Due to at least two distinctly different extractor designs, I think if one had the correct barrel it would likely work. I have been told that the buttstocks will interchange. HTH...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't have any now, but I seem to remember some had ejectors and others had extractors. The two I tried did interchange. The shotgun frame may have a large firing pin tip. The rifle ones were small.

Bruce

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the replies.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think all have ejectors, but you need guns from aprox. the same model and year to get interchangeability, and that is pretty much a "try-and-fit" operation. It is however, worth a try if you have a 220 or a 219 and need a barrel. They are gettin' very hard to find.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a 219, in 30-30. It was my first rifle and the one I killed my first bunch of deer with. I lost it to a nephew for about 25 years and finally got it back. Problem is, I just can't get it to group worth a damn. I recrowned it, cleaned it, scoped it, tried various load combinations, but just can't get steady 2" groups at 100. Is there a fix for this rifle or is it the way they are?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Luke,
I would suggest that you glass bed the forearm and run a bead of glass around the mortises of the butt stock..It has worked for me in the past but no guarentee...you may have a bad barrel and 2 inches at 100 yards is acceptable hunting accuracy anyways within the 30-30 range limits..I have seen many of them that shot very well and many that shot about like you describe. They is what they is, a short range good deer killer.

Wish I could find one in a 25-20!! I would buy it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just for sh--s and giggles I put an o ring around the barrel and then installed the forearm. I tried it in different locations, but it didn't help. Are you saying fill the forend with glass so it makes full contact with the barrel? If I could get 2" groups at 100 I would be happy, but so far not even close. This rifle is old, but has never been used for target practice or any extended shooting. This rifle just went hunting.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Atkinson, I looked for a .25-20 for years and didn't find one, then finally found one with a ringed bore in a "rusty barrel of rusty barrels" in a backwoods shop in Maine. Had it reblued and relined to like-new; one of my favorites. You could have any abused 219 barrel relined to .25-20, even a .30-30, if you were willing to pay the price or do it yourself.

I know a guy in Moscow, ID that has shot a boatload of meat elk and mulies with a 219A .30-30 that he had rechambered to .30-40. He has shot a meat animal either deer or elk almost every year for over 20 years with that gun, and used up less than 30 rounds of the original two boxes of Rem 180 gr. Core-lokt he bought when he got it rechambered (he would have left it in .30-30, but the chamber had been galled by the previous owner removing a stuck case with a hardened screwdriver....).

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mike,

Thanks for that post.... I never thought of having one relined... blush I have a .30-30 Ack Imp. and a .22 Hornet, and an extra bbl in .30-30. The extra bbl has been cut to 20". I think I'll have it relined. Who did yours? Can you recommend anyone? Thanks,

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
IIRC they were made in 22 Hornet also. I'm sure an old logger friend of mine had one.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hopper, the guy that did my 219 isn't in business any more, but I have had EXCELLENT results from Mark Beinke of Klamath Falls, OR. If he's still working, you should be able to find him on the internet yellow pages. He pronounces his name the German way: BEN-kah. When he lines a barrel, the only way you can tell is that the bore is NEW.

There's also a guy named Sonny France in Michigan who has done good jobs for me on single shots, but he is less likely to be findable; a part-timer I think. I'm sure if you search around the ASSRA site, you can also find people who do this work.

Consider a .25-35, also. Makes a sweet little carbine. Mine's a Martini, but it would work well on your .30-30 barrel (no ejector change needed, either).

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mike,

It's funny that you mention Sonny France. I know him personally. smile He only lives just across town from me. I've been to his home several times. I never thought about him. I've know some folks who didn't like his work, and yet I know others who brag on him. I'll have to talk to him about it. I was thinking of having him do my Martini action in .25-20. But I'm not sure about what to do for the stock.

GH

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sonny did a Lowall Winchester for me a while back. Did a great job quick and cheap!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.