Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dcd
what would an original american indian say???? most likely hunger would be the motivation. but thats not the issue. we live in a land of opportunity and 'rights". lets all believe that we have to respect others viewpoints and needs. a compound is nomore a "bow" than the original long "stick", than is the recurve, than is an xbow. but that is also not the issue. apples to apples, the compound will outperform an xbow(physics) in the total hunting perspective (distance, draw wt, speed, shaft wt, broadhead design, expertise,) does it really matter if the hunter in the next woodlot is using "your" legal weapon of choice. not your decision only your opinion. so what if he "misses" the fun,commitment,satisfaction,challenge, of practice. so what if he just takes it off the rack and harvests aan animal it wasnt your animal and it wasnt your hunt just be thankful that a fellow sporstman involved himself (her)in our activity and contributed to the future of what we all hope to preserve. the choice to hunt or not. leave the how to the individual .its also their land of opportunty!

X2!!! Couldn't have said it better!

GB1

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
thanks not against any one organization just believe that choices and options are critical to the survival of our cherished past time and heritage. a coomon ground must be the objective of all involved otherwise 'if you are not part of the solution you ARE THE PROBLEM!" i will reiterate my strongest argument for xbows. just because others are allowed to use it legally doesnt mean you have to! pay attention! YOU HAVE A CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Separate seasons. If not just keep lowering the standards like in every other aspect of our culture. Just ask our current Prez and ask how he became president with no skill sets for leadership.

Affirmative action for deer season

Or have one deer season and allow any weapon including nets, lasers etc.

C'mon everyone is entitled to get their deer aren't they? Every kid deserves a trophy whether they win or lose the game or the letter grade of "A" when they get 50% of the answers correct on an exam?

Come to think of it I guess they should build "hunting escalators" for back country elk and mule deer hunts too. I mean it was really tough for me to hike in shoot and pack out my animal having two hip replacements last year. I want the whole hunting process to be easier!!!! You know like a video game

BTW I could easily qualify for am handicapped tag if I so choose from injuries sustained in the military and at my current job. My friend, who is in a wheel chair and missing his left arm, shoots a bow using his teeth. I help him get out to his stand but otherwise he is very independent.

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
i dont disagree its just i have trouble rationalizing the concept,requirement,necessity of a seperate season for xbow. it injects a component of competitiveness that is degrading to the sport. does it really matter if someone is using a 20ga, a 243, a 357 pistol or a 7mm, a longbow, compond or an xbow. i think we can all agree that each weapon of choice has its own merits and detractions. "you use what you use because you like it and nobodys going to keep that choice from you!" OR ARE THEY? what someone else uses to harvest THEIR animal should make no difference to anyone. its thier hunt. its their memory. as long as all is legal WTF..........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

i don't understand why such an emphasis on a seperate and distinct season. crossbow should be able to be used during regular bow imo. this would enable many people, especially the older hunters as i previously stated, to be in the woods hunting in early fall as they were always accustomed.

-ken

IC B2

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
why is the overwhelming response seems to be supportive of xbow use yet NYB with only 2-4000{?}members is "recognized" by albany to be the proclaimed representative voice of the bowhunting population. the legislators should or must demand a polling of the NYB membership to validate the claim or shut the lobbying effort of that organization down for making misleadindg statements. i say put the truth out there or go away!

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
well, i guess progress has been achieved. the future will tell!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I'm against the crossbow in the archery season. I also feel the modern muzzleloader has no place in a "primitive season". Archery and muzzleloader seasons were put in place long before the advent of the compound bow or modern muzzleloaders. It was supposed to be more difficult but technology has made everything so easy we've lost all sense of where this all started. To clarify I have no problem with the compound bow, without it we may have lost our seasons long ago.
You can knock NYB all you want but they are the ONLY voice defending bowhunting in NY. There is no other organization. Might be best if you joined and let your voice be heard and do something about it.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Suppose 50 years ago all folks started shootin crossbows and they became popular instead of compounds Where would you stand then Just a thought

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
i live in pa., but also hunt new york, so here is my 2cents. unless you are physcially handicaped, crossbows have no bussiness being in the woods durning archery season. amen....

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I don't know why Bow hunters are so worried about the Xbow.Maybe it's the purest attitude that, my way is the best way. Maybe a few more deer will be taken, Maybe someone will kill a deer a little farther out. It's high time we as hunters band togther and protect the sport of hunting reguardless of what you hunt with. I hunted the late seasons ML this year as usual but what was different this year was no other hunters Northern or southern zone. Two weeks off Hunted every day did'nt see another hunter in the woods. Hunting is dying, If we are fighting the anti's are winning. JMO

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by brucebruce
.... Maybe a few more deer will be taken, Maybe someone will kill a deer a little farther out. It's high time we as hunters band togther and protect the sport of hunting reguardless of what you hunt with. ...Two weeks off Hunted every day did'nt see another hunter in the woods. Hunting is dying, If we are fighting the anti's are winning. JMO

+1

I'm in favor for the reason above.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

rchery59 First off I don't use either version. But with the latest compound and 85% let off I don't see much difference
between the two and today I believe there are people shooting
the compound more accurately at greater ranges than most crossbow
shooters. So I really don't see a problem! Just my 2cents
worth. YMMV Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don't have a problem with crossbows being in archery season at all. My personal preference is still to use a regular compound bow. We go to Ohio every year for archery season and I still only take a regular bow. Some guys look at me like I'm nuts for not using a crossbow. Some see it the same way I do. I think it should be a choice. My neighbor is a muzzleloading purist and doesn't give me a hard time for using a modern centerfire rifle. You have to hand it to whoever in the NYB organization is pushing for not allowing crossbows though. They're persistent...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Against it. Guys can use xbow during ml or modern firearms.

Archery season was intended to be hunted with primitive weapons.

I like long archery seasons and if you allow any weapon season lengths will be reduced. Archery requires at least some practice and dedication. Can buy a cross gun and be proficient out to 80 yds in 15 minutes. Shot my friend's and deadly accurate. X bow is cocked and ready to go.Most have scopes. Big difference between xbow and compound.

I guess more of the dumbing down of America. Everyone gets a trophy, an "A" grade. If you require some( not much) work it is considered "elitism" and unfair. Keep on lowering the standards. I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and was able to come back with heavy duty rehab. I know I guy I grew up with that has one arm ( lost it in Vietnam) and shoots with his mouth. He never complains. Now have healthy young kids do not want to practice because it is too hard.

Why not just allow people to hunt archery with modern rifles then? Why have any standards? We hunters should all ban together and allow any weapon during any season

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Archery season was intended to be hunted with primitive weapons.

Just curious. When did a compound bow become a primitive weapon?

D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
respect an individuals right to choose. because legislation allows use it does not madate an individual must utilize a weapon he or she is not comfortable [read excited or challenged] using. join a club and shoot a compound,a muzzleloader,a recurve,a handgun,a longbow,throw a spear! then go to australia or england and tell of your right to posess and or handle all those weapons. then come home and thank a veteran for a privledge like most people in this world cannot comprehend! we all must protect each others right to choose. a house divided....................

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
the right to choose!! hey, i am all about it. i hunt with a bow for the challenge.i use traditional gear. i have no problems hunting with archers that do it with wheels. it just dont make sense hunting with a crossbow durning archery season. whats the challenge ?????? glad that the season is drawn out. ITS TOUGH HUNTING WITH A BOW, AS IT SHOULD BE..... i am a resident of pa. and xbows are legal here. it makes me sad it got that way. just my view.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A cross gun is not even close to a bow. But human beings are lazy by nature and take the easiset and most simple route.

If we as hunters do not want a house divided let's have a one week season in NY where you can use any weapon. Let's not divide our hunting rights

Seasons will get shorter and shorter with the advent of technology but people want to dumb down seasons so why not allow any weapon. We are heading in that direction anyway.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dcd
thanks not against any one organization just believe that choices and options are critical to the survival of our cherished past time and heritage. a coomon ground must be the objective of all involved otherwise 'if you are not part of the solution you ARE THE PROBLEM!" i will reiterate my strongest argument for xbows. just because others are allowed to use it legally doesnt mean you have to! pay attention! YOU HAVE A CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So can I sue my .257 weatherby during archery season? Afterall It is my choice and my right!!! I served in the military and I fought for my right to choose.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 160user, 222ND, 57 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,611
Posts18,511,729
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.