CLICK HERE for $200 INSTANT SAVING - ANSWER THE CHALLENGE!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3587772 - 12/19/09 07:39 AM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: RickyD]
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
I met with the new owner of Serengeti/Kilimanjaro a couple of months ago. Actually I have known hm for a couple of years. He's a lawyer from Hawaii named Erik Eike, and I met and hunted with him on a couple of African safaris that Serengeti put together.

He's a VERY avid hunter and shooter, and a good guy. He also has the money to make the company go, and the original partners who got it from Mel Smart didn't. Erik is doing some smart things, including retaining Gene (as chief stockmaker and gunsmith) and keeping the shop in Kalispell. Only the business office will be in Hawaii.

Erik is also doing a lot more promotion, and the right kinds of promotion, something that didn't happen very often with the former Serengeti people.

I have been around the company since Mel's days and it has been interesting to see the changes in the stocks, plus the company in general. The stocks always did work the way Mel designed them to, providing a MUCH better looking laminated stock. But the stuff they are doing these days is really top-notch. It will be interesting to see how much of a market there is in today's economy.

The ultimate concern of a rifle loony is rifle trivia. And why not? What else is as distracting from the really important concerns of everyday life?

HR 468
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on TAMRON LENSES at CAMERA LAND!
#3590517 - 12/20/09 12:56 AM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: Mule Deer]
DanAdair Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NW Montucky
Indeed it will...

I've known Gene since I was about 14 or so. He used to work with my dad... The gunsmith thing is Gene's latest "thing" You can add that to the list of Ex soldier, working cowboy, musician, saddlemaker/leahterworker (used to work for the Hook brothers) Freetrapper, preacher, and beer drinker laugh Gene was one of 3 people that really took the time and teach me to shoot... Kind of funny he wound up in the gun biz

Charlie Cooter still around?

Is the new guy going to try and patch up the relationship with MRC?

Of course I know how to patch drywall

#3590671 - 12/20/09 05:38 AM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: DanAdair]
WranglerJohn Offline
Campfire Ranger

My Accurate Innovations stock purchased back when they first came out was a problem. I was told they made one for a magnum Mauser action, waited six months to receive one for a standard length action. Took awhile to mill out the aluminum chassis to fit the longer magazine box. It arrived dented from inadequate packaging as an extra feature. I hope the new owner does better, it's a good concept.

Originally I was going to order one of Mel Smart's AccuBond laminate semi-finished stocks, but chose the A. I. stock instead. Received an email that Mr. Smart was in the hospital shortly afterward, unfortunately he never recovered. There was no going back.

Kilimanjaro doesn't offer semi-finished stocks, so I'll not likely do business with them. Indeed I have little use for custom rifle makers since advent of the Savage action. I can sit here and order everything I need for a complete rifle, assemble and finish it myself. Icing on the cake is that the home cobbled rifle shoots as well or better than expensive custom builds. Unfortunately I'm better served by working rifles, although the few I have with exhibition grade wood are a joy to view and handle.

Edited by WranglerJohn (12/20/09 05:45 AM)

#3591027 - 12/20/09 07:42 AM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: WranglerJohn]
Oregon45 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Oregon
Just my opinion, but the price point on these rifles is a bit stunning.

For $10,000 I can commission a custom rifle from Duane Weibe; I truly doubt that a MRC action in a laminated stock can compare.

I have no doubt that the Kilimanjaro rifles are good, and at $4,000 I'd prefer them over say, an Ed Brown Serengeti or a McMillan hunting rifle because of the stable, walnut stock. But at $10,000 I expect master class hand work if we're talking bolt rifles.

#3592780 - 12/20/09 05:56 PM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: Oregon45]
RickyD Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Iowa
Quote:

Just my opinion, but the price point on these rifles is a bit stunning.
That's a very nice way of putting it. grin

Had mine not cost me $1,200.00 shipped with everything mentioned, it would likely not be in my safe. Well, maybe $1,250..... grin

#3592801 - 12/20/09 06:00 PM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: Oregon45]
Mule Deer Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Banana Belt, Montana
Apparently they are not going to be using Montana actions anymore. They are planning a new custom action of their own. I believe they will also still make a rifle on any action you want to provide.

I am as interested as everybody else as to how this will play out.

The ultimate concern of a rifle loony is rifle trivia. And why not? What else is as distracting from the really important concerns of everyday life?

#3592899 - 12/20/09 06:23 PM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: Mule Deer]
Huntr Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: New Mexico
Originally Posted By: Mule Deer
Apparently they are not going to be using Montana actions anymore. They are planning a new custom action of their own. I believe they will also still make a rifle on any action you want to provide.

I am as interested as everybody else as to how this will play out.

JB, proprietary action?? Any info? CRF? Just a curious rifle loony...

#3592908 - 12/20/09 06:26 PM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: Mule Deer]
DanAdair Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NW Montucky
laugh

The Brian Sipes' drama never ends laugh

I did see a custom Kimber 84 they did that landed at another local smiths shop.

Very sweet idea, maybe the 84L action?? Barry, from you know where, made a slight hint that way.

But I have to agree... Lee's at 3500 for a stock, and I know two smiths that can do up an absolutely gorgeous M98, blued for another 3K. I'd much rather go that way.. I hate to say it, but the Hawiian may have priced himself right out of a job... They're an upstart again, with fresh blood. 10K is a bit out of line, I think.

Of course I know how to patch drywall

#3593022 - 12/20/09 06:57 PM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: DanAdair]
highridge1 Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NW Montana
Their local and I don't hear anyone talk about them,except on here. I was going to take a very nice MRC 1999 300 wsm on trade but I would only be selling it,probably won't because nobody is interested... Remington,winchester,weatherby,tikka for me I don't need any of the headaches these small companies have to offer..

Edited by highridge1 (12/20/09 07:01 PM)

#3598396 - 12/22/09 10:37 AM Re: Serengeti Rifles now Kilimanjaro Rifles [Re: highridge1]
WranglerJohn Offline
Campfire Ranger

If you want a "custom" factory rifle how about one of Nosler's offerings? They run from about $1,800 to $4,000 and can be expected to be in business for awhile. I ordered a few firearms from companies that went belly up shortly afterward, leaving no parts available. In one case they went bankrupt before shipping mine. After the court released them they assembled what parts they had and I got my gun. It's a safe queen now, no parts available, a monument to buying from micro-manufacturers.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
113 registered (308ld, 280Ackleyrized, 10generation, 270winchester, 30Gibbs, 257Deland, 15 invisible), 869 Guests and 279 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
CLICK HERE for AWESOME BIG GAME HUNTING ADVENTURES in CANADA!
Forum Stats
50233 Members
72 Forums
628902 Topics
9015913 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.