Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He's provided hours of amusement here at the fire with his fantastical tales of achievement but for sheer depth of BS I have to go with this soon to be classic from the "Who is ruining Remington" thread from last October.

Originally Posted by Lee24
Scorpion, I have done a bit of civil engineering, too.

I designed and built lakes and 25-foot steel bridge and 40-foot concrete bridge across the overflow weirs of the dams, before I was 14 years old. My father was not an engineer, but he let us do whatever we were capable of doing on the farms. Later, for a graduate course in civil engineering, I engineered the largest one again, including all the soil analysis and run off calculations, just to match up to our historical records.

Since then, I have engineered 6 buildings over 10 stories tall and one over 20 stories, and supervised construction on them - site, utilities, electrical, fire, HVAC, structural modifications, plumbing, all of it.

I have engineered large civil sites up to 280 acres paved, including roads, drainage, water, sewer, and electrical duct banks.

If you don't understand machine design and high speed dynamics, don't comment on my explanations.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
This should be a riot!! laugh

All of his best, gathered in one easy-to-find place!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The tow-truck operation has to be the classic topper... Regardless the claim, reality can be a bitch...

I really enjoyed the walnut elucidation as I learned so much... Not!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I dunno about you - but when I read things like that - all I can say is, that I am in total awe of such a man. I think we are very fortunate indeed to be able to enjoy the wisdom that this man so willingly and freely chooses to share with us.

I believe it is quite possible - that future generations - will scare believe - that a man such as this - posted among us! grin

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still don't get what the huge obsession with this guy is. If the guy annoys you so much, why make a thread in honor of him?

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'cause it beats hiding in the closet?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
LMAO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't know. I'm straight.

1.) I'm American

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Okay, hiding in a closet while your Girlfriend defends you from her granddad. Boy, you have absolutely NO BALLS!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Of course here's one that's sure to please. From the "New Winchester M70 quality control" thread. I know if I had one of these I'd love to have that new M70 that triggerguard is offering for a simple picture.

The plant in Columbia has always had the best CNC machines.
They turn out about $132,000,000 of M-240, M-249, M-16A1, M-4 and the FNP autopistols each year. I have a .375 M-70 Safari that was made there during the transition when FN bought control back from the French, and it is super nice, and shoots sub MOA.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here's one on range estimating from over 3 years ago - the first one that made me say WTF. I have been following his lies with interest ever since...

The second part of estimating, which I did not elaborate, is to become familiar with how your eyes have to slope to meet the Earth as you look towards the horizon. At 100 yards, you are looking down at an angle that is dependent on your height ( let's deal with flat level ground first). At 200 yards, the horizontal distance is double, but the additional ground added is only 50% to your eye. Half of that again and you are at 300 yards.

This is an instinctive thing that requires practice. You don't stop and calculate the distance when throwing a ball to someone. When I used to inspect buildings all day, our team used to make a game of guessing a wall or other distance before pulling tape. Everyone could guess within an inch in 50 feet. Good surveyors can guess within 20 yards out to a half mile. There is usually something there to help - a tree, or just a rolling hill like the one you just walked that was 200 yards across.

To which I replied:

"Hang on a minute. You're telling me (and expecting me to believe) that you could estimate distance to within .17%

You're telling me (and expecting me to believe) that your estimate of the distance to a wall that was 33 yards away would be between 32 yards 11 inches and 33 yards 1 inch.

That is FOUR times better than what Lecia claim for their Laser rangefinders.

Dude, I am NOT buying that. You are full of [bleep]..."

And of course he came back with a standard Liar24 reply

You cannot fathom that others can do what you cannot do.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Okay, hiding in a closet while your Girlfriend defends you from her granddad. Boy, you have absolutely NO BALLS!

What closet do you speak of?

1.) I'm American

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is unreal and to think I almost missed the education...

Thanks Mike for taking me to summer school! wink

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I fly over 100,000 miles a year, know a few pilots, shoot with pilots and TSA personnel, because I have TSA and TWIC clearances myself. You only "know" what you read on from Google. If you read some more, you will find that
A. Air Marshals carry handguns chambered in .357 SIG.
B. Some airlines, like USAir, do provide their pilots with the SIG and HK handguns chambered in .40 S&W.

Everyone who has an ID permitting them to carry a weapon onto the airplane is pulled aside and asked if they are armed. If the answer is yes, they are all acquainted with each other, so avoid mistakes. Again, this is from my personal experience.

I see where one of the young couch potatoes thought it was ridiculous that I, or any other Boy Scout, could walk 50 miles in a day.

President Kennedy started this and gave out a medal for it.
Tens of thousands of people did it.
I went looking for the history of it online, and found that it is still going on.
I might have to have earn another medal.

Did any of you other old timers do this in the 1960s?

http://www.jfk50mile.org/

And I wonder who this is about? I only wish had the time and energy to walk 50 miles a day, fly 100,000 miles a year and shoot 600,000 thousand rounds of ammo, all whilst working and getting a degree. He's SUPERMAN!

Originally Posted by MikeGib
You know, one of the GREAT things about these forums is the wealth of information available. Yet.... sadly, it can go away just as quickly as it arrives, or be difficult to fine.

Just as a quick example, there is a very experienced member here, whose expertise is spread across many threads. I've taken a few minutes to gather the most relevant statements up, in an effort to ensure that no information is lost. Moderators, please feel free to pin this information so it doesn't get lost, or perhaps copy it into the FAQs. I suspect this post alone, will help many 'newbies' get educated, without having to ask those embarassing basic questions.

Granted I don't have this level of expertise, so I hope no one will mind if I add a few questions / comments, along with the original text.

I don't think that this member really needs any introduction.... ya'll can probably figure it out pretty quick.

(my comments in parenthesis � MikeGib)

Unique observations in bullet behavior:

- TSX bullets blowing up � (how in the hell do you �blow up� a solid copper bullet, anyway? 5,000fps ? 6,000fps? Warp 9?)

- Some FMJ are really hollow points (which is why we call them �FMJ� as that confuses the hell out of the enemy�.)

- Some FMJs will actually mushroom and leave huge wounds. (guess the game departments are really being backward-ass by banning their use for most hunting, huh?)

- I guess if you are likely to be caught using the wrong rifle for the game and range, it is be best to use a monlithic solid or FMJ bullet as a compromise. (what if your FMJ is really a hollow-point?)

- Above 2800 fps, only the Swift A-Frame will retain more than about 75% of weight. The Barnes and Failsafe lose about 25% of weight as their petals shear off and they pass through like FMJ bullets with a narrow wound channel after the initial disruption. (really? Are they like the FMJs that mushroom? Or the hollow point FMJs?)

- Of course the TSX has a lot of penetration, just like a FMJ with a narrow and long wound channel. (which FMJ is this, again?)

- You can probably get quick kills and lots of penetration from a FMJ at 3,000 fps, for a lot less money, if you don't intend to use bullets as their manufacturers intended. (or mind violating the game laws�. LOL).

- A lead bullet at high velocity might penetrate a 5/8-inch cold rolled steel plate, while a solid copper or FMJ AP round will disintegrate. (no [bleep]? I thought that AP meant �armor piercing��. Aw, nevermind).

Photography expert:

- I just got access to a very high speed camera to try to see what is happening, one mm at a time. (apparently the camera didn�t come with any film�.)

- I have done my own with bullets I use, and I will try to find some cross-sectional images of other lab tests online to post here. (apparently he never got around to finding any pictures, being too busy educating the rest of us�.)

Wound ballistics expertise:

- After any of the bullets slow down significantly or lose their expanded front portion, the wound channels are no wider than the diameter of the bullet (whoa � that is going to be big news to anyone who has ever hunted with a hard cast bullets, and seen wound channels much bigger than the actual hard cast bullets themselves�.)

- accounts of soldiers unable to drive a bayonet into their adversary (consciencious objectors, maybe?)

- A friend of mine, a very strong, lean fellow, was once robbed and shot 6 times in the abdomen point blank with a .22LR revolver. He tightened up, and not a single bullet penetrated more than an inch of muscle. (ah, the original �abs of steel�!!!)

- The large muscles on the upper legs, shoulderns and backs of large animals like lions, bears and moose can be quite soft when relaxed, but very hard when flexed, totally changing the reaction of a bullet. (yeah it really makes the bullets mad�..like when you forget flowers for your wife on her birthday)

Any rifle other than a 7.62x51 NATO � has distinct sound in combat which can compromise the position of its user. (such as �bang?�)

Advice on rifles for the deer hunter:

A Sharps in .45-70 would make as good an "all-round rifle" for deer from 40 yards to 400 as a .300 Win Mag (quick � somebody call up Winchester � all they needed to do to save the company, was bring back the .45-70 Sharps and drop the .300 mags�..)

A .460 Weatherby might work better on those 50-yard deer, if the .300 Magnum and TSX are too marginal for you (I thought we were supposed to be using Sharps .45-70s?)

- Correction: A .300 magnum with a scope and TSX at over 3100 fps on a deer at 70 yards is a misapplication of the rifle, cartridge and bullet. (God help us if the deer ever find out about this)

An impressive resume:

- I am a consulting engineer who develops, among other things, weapons systems, from hunting rifles to attack helicopters, as well as composite armor to defeat it, from the 9mm handgun to 155mm sabot round. (which is pretty handy when you are trying to figure out which FMJ bullet can defeat the ab muscles of your deer, if it tightens up before you shoot�.)

- I am a mechanical engineer, designing robotics, but also have engineered skyscrapers (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, site drainage, etc), ponds, dams, small bridges, as well as medical devices, computers, cell phones, firearms, tools, farm machinery, military aircraft and automobile components, chemical and polymer plants, and a wide array of other retail products and manufacturing process development. I have worked in 32 states, as well as overseas. (Jeez when do you find time to hunt� wait�. think I just answered my own question)

- As for my engineering degree, I have several, as well as PhD courses in specific areas related to projects, at Georgia Tech, Clemson, USC, and JPL. Since you are a pilot, I was a consultant on composites and airframes manufacturing of most of commercial and military jets, and few helicopters back in the early to mid 1980s. Current projects include development of the next generation of lightweight personnel, vehicle and aircraft armor. (going to experiment with really tight deer shoulder muscles as an edible, environmentally-friendly armor?)

- my 45 years of hunting, competition shooting and firearms engineering. (I am personally glad you did not 'rub in' your vast hunting experience, by posting lots of pictures)

- The 600,000 rounds I have fired in competition and practice (which naturally tells a person a lot about what happens when a bullet hits a critter�.)

- I included the 45 years of hunting and 400,000 handgun rounds in there.
- I just renewed my hunting license for the 40th year. (uh � 40th???�. Did you forget to have a license for the first 5 years? LOL)

- I grew up on a cattle ranch, and had spent 1,000 nights under the stars before I was 21. (we�ll leave the sheep jokes out�.)

I have a thick skin (gosh I wonder why��??????)

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for posting that I didn't realize until now that I am a really bad surveyor.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey Pugs,
Do you have that pic of Lee24 at Caryonah? I think it says it all. I've tried to paste it here, but can't seem to make it work.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Pugs
He's provided hours of amusement here at the fire with his fantastical tales of achievement but for sheer depth of BS I have to go with this soon to be classic from the "Who is ruining Remington" thread from last October.

Scorpion, I have done a bit of civil engineering, too.

I designed and built lakes and 25-foot steel bridge and 40-foot concrete bridge across the overflow weirs of the dams, before I was 14 years old. My father was not an engineer, but he let us do whatever we were capable of doing on the farms. Later, for a graduate course in civil engineering, I engineered the largest one again, including all the soil analysis and run off calculations, just to match up to our historical records.

Since then, I have engineered 6 buildings over 10 stories tall and one over 20 stories, and supervised construction on them - site, utilities, electrical, fire, HVAC, structural modifications, plumbing, all of it.

I have engineered large civil sites up to 280 acres paved, including roads, drainage, water, sewer, and electrical duct banks.

If you don't understand machine design and high speed dynamics, don't comment on my explanations.

that one is high on the list.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Your hangout when pap pap came by on his porcelain wrecking expedition.

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Love this one too.

Originally Posted by Pugs
[quote=Lee24]I have drill tomorrow. At the armory, I will see if I can pull some photos, or take some of some older sniper rifles to show you what a Redfield Jr base looks like, etc, etc, ad finitum.

Reference for the Army fielding Remington 700/40X rifles in Vietnam?

Personal. I was shooting with the Army MTU in 1968.

Of course later he said this.

I was shooting in ROTC in 1968.

Showing Lee (if that is his name) is always fun but it serves a more practical purpose too. Rick has a great site here and it's always nice for a new member to have some warning of who is giving good advice and who isn't and if you're new here you can never go wrong throwing the BS flag at Lee.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1234, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.