Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Outside of the occasional incidental catch in a coon trap. I haven't caught a coyote or really targeted them with traps. For the most part I have called them in and shot them or shot them when I've seen them by chance. Now I'm really tired of them getting dibs on deer, rabbits, game birds etc. and want to target them by trapping as well as hunting them. So who nows the best sets or a book that can give me this information. Thanks for any and all info. Looking forward to using it soon.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A simple dirt hole, flat/blind set and trail sets are pretty much it..every trapper has variations and tricks applied to these sets.

A dirt hole is very fast, and effective.. I cant recommend books, I learned from an old mentor, then the hard way after that!

F
F
One way to learn is to join the MI trappers Association they will be glad to teach you. A good web site to check out is trapperman.com . They have more condensed knowledge available than any other place I know. Good Luck, furtaker

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cable restraints if they are legal over there....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
do you have a dvd player. If so I will borrow you a dvd that you can watch a couple of times that will tell you everything you need to know.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 22WRF
do you have a dvd player. If so I will borrow you a dvd that you can watch a couple of times that will tell you everything you need to know.

Sure do, I could probably down load it and burn the down load to get it back to ya real quick..

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
well, send me your name and address by PM and I will send it to you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ove snares if they can be used in your area. Dirt hole sets for leg holds. the main key for trapping coyotes is trap prep and handling If you dont go the extra mile they will dig your traps up. we had a old very smart dog one year every morning there would be a trap dug up bad thing is he would put a insult on it and craped on it after he dug it up. The in the morning Im sure it was him we would check the line and there would be a coyote barking up on the hill. Well we set a couple snares and caught a big old coyote no more barking and no more traps dug and craped on. they are smart animals. It was kind of funny the first time after the second or third time kind of pissed a guy off. and we all ways prep the traps and wore gloves with knee blankets but some how we got a little human sent on something and he knew it.

WANT TO BUY 22-250 AI BRASS PM ME WITH WHAT YA GOT AND HOW MUCH THANKS.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The dirt hole set is kind of like a 30-06 or Mora knife. It is common to the point of boring but incredibly effective on many species. Learn how to locate a set and then how to make an effective dirt hole set and you ARE a trapper.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What old trapper said about the dirt hole set being like the 30-06 are no truer words spoken. Reliable to the hilt.
If your just starting out this website will get you going. I can't speak for the other folks who contributed to it, but Bob Henderson was the authority. His trap lay out starts on pg 64-70 (this is a long article on 'yotes).
http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/ca_c51.pdf
If your state allows an attractor (feather, egg shells or faux fur) with fox pee on a little stick or patch of grass will suck those yotes into your set. Fox urine makes coyotes madder then three hells, but you can use yote urine as a calling card well.
Sounds simple, but you're the one laying the 'landmines', you just have to convince the 'enemy' to step into the lay. Nothing hard about the dirt hole, that is as basic as it gets, but it works dang good.
lnf

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Using anything other than than the dirt hole, flat set, blind set, or a scent post, is just wasting time. 99% of my sets are dirt holes or flats, no sense in trying to get fancy. Dip your traps and let them air for 3-4 weeks and then practice making sets around home until you can do it well. Don't worry about a setting cloth just wear clean boots and don't kneel down. Put your sets were you find sign and regular travel occurs and you'll catch coyotes. Trapping is twice as easy as most guys make it out to be, it's putting up the hides that really isn't much fun. There are whole books out there on the subject, buy a few and come up with a method that works for you in your terrain. Good Luck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1941USMC, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,380
Posts18,506,679
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.