Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atkinson
I would be enlightened if anyone could name me those "quite a few" Alaskan Brown Bear guides that pack a 45-70 for backup?

I have made my statement to the extent that I find the fantasy surrounding the 45-70 to be false and without merit, at least based on my experience with the cartridge, and its too late for me to transgress, I do however wish that I had never bothered to comment on it..I so tire of having to keep a get away horse tied out behind the house! smile

Actually, Ray, I think I "presumed" that since Stevenson used the 45-70 and it's in a handy package for those AK'ans who must make a rifle a fifth appendage, there would be more. It's always dangerous to presume, so no, I don't know of others specifically by name.

I really think there isn't as much disagreement as some here think or it appears here. All admit the 45-70 would do the job; few would say it's ideal or the best choice including me.

Ray, you really don't need that horse tied up behind the house grin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atkinson
I would be enlightened if anyone could name me those "quite a few" Alaskan Brown Bear guides that pack a 45-70 for backup?

Ed Stevenson and his son come immediatley to mind.Phil Shoemaker also carries an 1886 Browning carbine quite a bit-enough to wear every last bit of blue off the gun.

Ray,you say the person you saw shooting the elk with the 45/70 was shooting Nosler bullets.This means he was more than likely shooting 300 grain JHPs (I seriously doubt he was shoot 500 grain Partitions out of it),and if they were loaded hot,they were more than likely doing over 2200 FPS.That's about the last load in the world to pick for elk out of a 45/70,and I'm not suprised he had problems.That bullet is designed to expand rapidly on whitetail deer when pushed at around 1800 FPS.

This would be like me saying a 300 Weatherby is no good for elk,because I saw someone shoot one once with a 110 grain HP and it turned into a disaster.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Howdy Ray

Phil Shoemaker wrote:

I have settled on the Buffalo Bore 430 hard cast bullets in both mine and my wife's 45-70 bear defense rifles. If a bear gets to you when you use these it won't be because of bullet failure.

Jayco grin

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Seems none of you African guys can agree on anything but the 45-70 is a POS. grin

"I selected nine different varieties of 45-70 factory ammunition to review (with the new Marlin 1895SBL), ranging from Winchester�s lightweight and fast 300-gr Supreme Partition Gold to Garrett�s rhino busting 540-gr +P SuperHardCast Hammerhead. I was particularly impressed by the accuracy and consistently low standard deviation (8-fps) of the heavyweight Garrett load; those figures are remarkable for a 540-gr flatnose lead slug and would be a real confidence builder if you were facing a Cape buffalo.�
- Dick Metcalf; Shooting Times, March 2009

"Randy Garrett's heavy loads with his SuperHardCast bullets are legendary for penetration."
- Craig Boddington, Guns & Ammo, February 2009

His goal is to "not overwhelm the strength of the bullet."
"My bullet box is a wooden affair with compartments: a half inch plywood entry panel followed by a water-filled balloon, then clay, ending with phone books or wet newspaper. In one demonstration, a 540-gr Garrett Hammerhead drove through 56-inches of wet newspaper. I had just fired a 458 Winchester 500-gr roundnose solid bullet into the same media. It made an impressive penetration channel. But the 458 bullet did not compromise the integrity of the test box. Meanwhile, a 540-gr Garrett Hammerhead exited the box, blowing out the sides."
- Sam Fadala, Guns & Ammo January 2008

"Garrett's really heavy-duty Hammerhead is a 540-grain SuperHardCast load delivering 1550-fps. This load has been used successfully to take Africa's Big Six." "For large, nasty, dangerous critters at close range, it would be most difficult to find anything more comforting than a Marlin 1895 or Winchester 1886 loaded with 45-70 Hammerheads from Garrett."
- John Taffin, GUNS magazine, December 2006

"If you're pursuing big or dangerous game with a 45-70, you can't do any better than using one of Randy Garrett's superior loads. Two, new +P loadings for modern 45-70 rifles are a 500-grain Speer AGS tungsten core solid at 1,530-fps and a 500-grain Woodleigh Weld-Core at 1600-fps. Either one is capable of penetrating a Cape buffalo from stem-to-stern."
- Holt Bodinson, GUN DIGEST, 2006

I'll stop for now.

Jayco laugh

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
BrentD,
Like so many you reach out to make a point by suggesting that I killed elk at 3000 yds. with a 25-35, a feeble attempt at humor but funny all the same and I got a good laugh out of it..but the fact is I have killed a number of elk with the 25-35 carbine, but alas they were never shot at over 100 yards and only a few past 75 yards and all were broadside. True, a 45-70 would work under the same conditions...but neither IMO are elk rifles for the once a year hunter in todays hard elk hunting conditions that will certainly get worse with the advent of the wolf infestation...

All I am saying is if you want to be successful with any degree of regularity in today elk country where you will see perhaps one or two good bulls in a season of hunting then use a caliber that will handle any conditions, thus my choice of a 300 H&H or a 338 Win. I consider the 30-06 with 200 or 220 gr. Nosler my choice of minimum today...

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ray, you are repeating yourself. Definitely not a good sign frown

I've always had good success in elk country with a .45 if you know how to shoot. You stick with your modern whatevers, I'll stick with my old .45s. They do just fine for me out to 300 easily.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Brent,
At my age one often repeats himself, not a good sign is right, but it is what it is! smile

Logcutter,
Those are gun writers, not bear guides, what do they know? they have killed more game with a typewriter than a rifle! just joking for the most part, Craig and Holt have seen the elephant..they also are pimps for ammo manufacturers. smile smile

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ray

True, a 45-70 would work under the same conditions...but neither IMO are elk rifles for the once a year hunter in todays hard elk hunting conditions that will certainly get worse with the advent of the wolf infestation...

All I am saying is if you want to be successful with any degree of regularity in today elk country where you will see perhaps one or two good bulls in a season of hunting then use a caliber that will handle any conditions, thus my choice of a 300 H&H or a 338 Win. I consider the 30-06 with 200 or 220 gr. Nosler my choice of minimum today...

I live in the same State as you do since birth.I live just minutes from Elk City and am aware of the Wolf and what it has done.My rifle selection has not changed at all.I used my 45-70 in thick timber in the Selway until my son showed up that wanted the Guide Gun.I then went from the new '06 to the 300 Win Mag and never felt under gunned with any of them.

The 45-70 drops 'em on the spot(300 grain Barnes XFN) as does the .300 with 200 Noslers or the 180's are close..You keep bringing up Idaho and Elk hunting..Been doing it here for over 50 years and your 45-70 experiences are far different than mine.

If I were you,I could say the worst one is the 7mm Rem Mag I saw in person take 5 shots on one Elk and 4 on another or the 30-40 Krag took 5 hits on one Bull or in the same braeth,I could say the 22-250 dropped a nice bull as did the 243.

Come on...We know different just like the 45-70..My forum is full of Elk kills from the 45-70.

www.levergunlovers.com

Jayco

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logcutter
jeorge1

I don't have a clue where that post directed at me came from.I

Clueless being the operative word. Just for your edification, if yours is the last post on the thread and somebody answers on the empty block below, the post above appears as the recipient. I wasn't directing the post at you or anybody else for that matter. If I adress an inidvidual (as I am you presently) I either post a quote or preface my post with the individual to whom I'm addressing. There, now you're clued in...j-o-r-g-e

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logcutter
Seems none of you African guys can agree on anything but the 45-70 is a POS. grin

"I selected nine different varieties of 45-70 factory ammunition to review (with the new Marlin 1895SBL), ranging from Winchester�s lightweight and fast 300-gr Supreme Partition Gold to Garrett�s rhino busting 540-gr +P SuperHardCast Hammerhead. I was particularly impressed by the accuracy and consistently low standard deviation (8-fps) of the heavyweight Garrett load; those figures are remarkable for a 540-gr flatnose lead slug and would be a real confidence builder if you were facing a Cape buffalo.�
- Dick Metcalf; Shooting Times, March 2009

"Randy Garrett's heavy loads with his SuperHardCast bullets are legendary for penetration."
- Craig Boddington, Guns & Ammo, February 2009

His goal is to "not overwhelm the strength of the bullet."
"My bullet box is a wooden affair with compartments: a half inch plywood entry panel followed by a water-filled balloon, then clay, ending with phone books or wet newspaper. In one demonstration, a 540-gr Garrett Hammerhead drove through 56-inches of wet newspaper. I had just fired a 458 Winchester 500-gr roundnose solid bullet into the same media. It made an impressive penetration channel. But the 458 bullet did not compromise the integrity of the test box. Meanwhile, a 540-gr Garrett Hammerhead exited the box, blowing out the sides."
- Sam Fadala, Guns & Ammo January 2008

"Garrett's really heavy-duty Hammerhead is a 540-grain SuperHardCast load delivering 1550-fps. This load has been used successfully to take Africa's Big Six." "For large, nasty, dangerous critters at close range, it would be most difficult to find anything more comforting than a Marlin 1895 or Winchester 1886 loaded with 45-70 Hammerheads from Garrett."
- John Taffin, GUNS magazine, December 2006

"If you're pursuing big or dangerous game with a 45-70, you can't do any better than using one of Randy Garrett's superior loads. Two, new +P loadings for modern 45-70 rifles are a 500-grain Speer AGS tungsten core solid at 1,530-fps and a 500-grain Woodleigh Weld-Core at 1600-fps. Either one is capable of penetrating a Cape buffalo from stem-to-stern."
- Holt Bodinson, GUN DIGEST, 2006

I'll stop for now.

Jayco laugh

Number of Professional Hunters who use the 45/70 as their personal rifle or for back up: ZERO
Number of times Craig Bodddington has hunted Africa ~97
Number of times Craig Boddington has used the 45/70 in Africa for DG; ZERO
Number of times Dick Metcalf has used a 45/70 on Cape Buffalo: unknown
Number of times I've said the 45/70 will not kill a buffalo: Zero

I'll stop for now...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well jeorge,If you look back you will see there is another post after mine before yours to me.So jeorge,please understand I had know idea, nor did you it appears, the other post would be in between making me think it was directed at me..Owe well heck,who cares...

Now that you have so kindly pointed out your posting habits,I should not make that mistake again,should I?

Now your clued in..J-a-y-c-o

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Now that everyone's solidly entrenched in his foxhole and nobody has changed his mind, the slightly wounded appear to have only flesh wounds and will do well. I believe a truce is not only possible but imminent.

Have a good rest of the weekend, a good week, and again, a Happy New Year. grin

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
jorge

I just now realized I have been spelling your name wrong..My apologies as it was not intentional.I have been corrected here before for my spelling and thought I was getting better..Owe well..Sorry jorge..Nothing personal..

I will leave you with these 45-70 kills,though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll stop now. grin

Jayco laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's one taken with a bow...
[Linked Image]

And your point is? But feel free to respond to my prior posts about PH's Boddington, etc.

45/70's a lovely cartridge. In fct, Sharpsguy's helping me put an order in to Shiloh-Sharps for one here soon. Totally concur you shold stop now....jorge

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
grin grin grin

jorge...It was JJ Hack that started this crap,not me or the 45-70 guys..He started 2 threads with now like 15 pages to those not signed in in hiding the 458 Win Mag thread where you fellers were not agreeing..His way of starting crap,not mine.I am only here to stick up for the 45-70 to the ones that only put it down..There is common sense then ignorance.

One shot through both shoulders and an exit from the 45-70.

[Linked Image]

You guys might recognize this guy but it was at 275 yards with a cast bullet with a muzzle velocity of 1650 fps.

[Linked Image]

2000 pounds and again,one shot through both shoulders put him down and out.

[Linked Image]

Jayco grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So, just to redirect this discussion slightly, whatever happened to that gal on AR that ran the scam raffle to draw a ticket to go to Zim and hunt a buffalo with a .45-70. She ran the drawing, drew her own number and went to Zim on the raffle proceeds and then got sick and never hunted buffalo.

I believe she said she was going to go back, but did she? Whatever came of that?

I think her name as Ann something and, like Ray, she was a travel agent.

Brent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
She ran the drawing,drew her own number and went to Zim on the raffle proceeds and then got sick and never hunted buffalo.

Wow.......I thought SOP was that the person running the raffle never gets to participate,for that very reason.

Even if it wasn't a scam,that looks all sorts of bad.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah, it looks bad, but may have been on the up and up given the way the winning number was drawn. However, the deal was you had to actually hunt and shoot a cape buffalo with a .45-70 (someone even gave her the bloody rifle), and she never did so far as I know. At that point, she unequivocally breached the rules of the game. It was an interesting raffle and one where I even lost my own Ben Franklin. That it appears that she never followed through is the part that really bugs me.

Brent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Working in a trauma hospital ER I saw a guy DOA from a GSW inflicted by a .22lr Beretta semi-auto with a short barrel. I also so a guy who was shot in the head with a full-sized 45APC 1911 that lived with no major damage other than to his looks (assuming chicks don't really dig scars).

That little anecdote, like the original post, says absolutely nothing about the merits of either caliber or platform. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Just say'n.....

Last edited by goalie; 12/26/09.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
There was ZERO menttionof the 45/70. Zip, Nada. Lastly, I'm proud to say that I count Craig as a friend and we've spoken at length about the 45/70. If you read my post above, his views are almost identical. Take that for what it's worth, he only been on ninety-seven safaris at last count...jorge

jorge:

Question: would a .458", 500gr Hornady at 2000 to 2100 fps be regarded as ample for Cape buff in your view? Or, perhaps Boddington's?

Such a load is possible from a Ruger No.1 in .45-70, without any modification, at safe pressure, if 60,000 to 63,500 psi is regarded safe in that rifle. I know, I've done it hundreds of times, and it's been tested for me at a U.S. powder facility.

Does Boddington know everything about everything, because he's been to Africa 97 times and is your friend? Has he tested a .45-70 at that level? So he's never used one in Africa... and that tells you something that the rest of us .45-70 lovers need to know? Maybe it simply tells us that he's NOT the expert on the .45-70 that you may THINK he is! Is that a possibility?

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I've read his stuff also... sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't. He has admitted in print that he has his biases and prejudices, and they may change with time and experience. He wrote something of that nature recently in regard to a favorite Big Bore that didn't penetrate as well on ele as some smaller stuff.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,200
Posts18,485,185
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.