Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Gentlemen (and ladies):

I have a 22 year old son who is a little lost at the moment. He was overseas for two years doing a mission for our church. He went to school for a year but has no money left. He thinks he wants to ove to Alaska and work for a year to save money for college. Is this a reasonable option? Is there good paying employment in Alaska that would allow a young person performing manual labor to sock away $15-20,000 after a year of employment? He has no skills (such as welding, electrical, etc.)

Should I be worried about his personal safety working in some cannery, or on a fishing boat or on the pipeline (if such employment is available)?

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The cost of living in AK is pretty high, so unless he has family to stay with, it is unlikely he'll be able to sock away money. Coming up with no family and no money is a very, very bad idea.

Like anywhere, if he has a good solid work ethic, he can make moeney and sock it away. But a lack of skills is going to hurt him. There are plenty of people available for unskilled or semi skilled work, and that includes foreign workers and illegal aliens.

Not to be mean, but Alaska is pretty harsh on those that aren't prepared and don't have some sort of support of family and friends. Lots of opportunities for those that have their head squarly on their shoulders with ambition and fortitude.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've had more than one person who came to Southeast Alaska with the same kinds of ideas and same lack of work skills who ended up literally unable to pay their own way back to the Lower 48.

Alaska has great support for people who work hard, if they know how to do what needs to be done and do it well. It is pretty harsh for those who do not. I would suggest he inquire about specific jobs he's interested in; find out what kind of skills are needed; get trained in them; and then apply for jobs and go north when one is offered.

Good luck, for both of you.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remote fish counter might be reasonable gig for saving a few bucks...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
USMC. After a 4-year enlistment, $80,000 to put towards college, which does not need to be paid back (GI Bill).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Army, and he could get fort rich or fort wainwright outta the deal.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks guys. 'Preciate the advise.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With no job skills or education, it's definitely gonna be tough. I doubt he'd even save much money doing fish counting for Fish & Feathers. He MIGHT try getting into forest fire fighting thru the state. That can be a pretty good seasonal job with long hours and overtime.
I did that thru BLM in 1970 when I got out of the service. Lived very cheap & saved money for college. It was exciting at times as well. The state now handles most of the forest fire fighting now so I'm not too familiar with the "ins & outs" of getting on with them.
Just an idea.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
notes4.state.ak.us/

See if this link works Rob. For firefighting he needs to meet arduous duty fitness requirements. This link is for state jobs.
BLM also hires hotshot crew members for seasonal work.
try usajobs.gov

IC B3

K
K
I would say the Air Force, best standard of living and the best training one can get. I did a 4 year enlistment now I have a great job that came from my Air Force training and still have 80000 to spend on college if I want. Plus there are 2 bases in AK he might get stationed at.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What happened to all those fish gutting jobs for the canneries down by Homer?

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
got some friends that work in Homer every summer on boats, but sounds like you gotta know somebody to get a job...They make $300+ a day, I'm goin up with them this summer, but without them I wouldn't have a job and wouldn't be going

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like he better make a trip to any military recruiter. They have lots of jobs that will get his foot in the door on a number of trades. My sister finished getting her RN after the Army where she also meet and married her husband. They are both making good money now, her RN him EMT. And they both started in the Army.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.