Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I am wanting to rebarrel a Mdl 7 SS. I want to rebarrel it to a 20" 7mm-08. I have read where several members have raved about the 3-groove barrel. While looking at their site, they have listed $300.00 to rebarrel and true the action. This seems like a great deal. I know the gunsmith I used last time charged me way more than that. Has anyone used Pac-Nor? If so, what were the results?

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Alot of people on here has and I will too in the near future.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can only vouch for the barrels and chambering but very pleased with the service and quality. Would definitely recommend them.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Brother and I have had many barrels chambered by Pac Nor, and yes the three groove barrels have proven to be extremely accurate and fast in velocity, with easy clean up.

In addition to what you read on their site, an additional bonus is that they will chamber the barrel with the seating dept that you supply dummy rounds you supply at no additional charge.

The 257 Weatheryby and 7 STW's that we have got from Pac Nor shot three shot groups with the bullets touching, opening up a single bullet hole within 30 shots of load development. These barrels are so fast that I won't dare mention velocities.

We usually get the Select Match, Sendero taper, fluted with a Vias muzzle break installed(supplied by us) or a #6 taper fluted.

Pac Nor steel has proved to give very long life on Over bore cartridges and with wild cats that we have shot on P. dog towns where hot barrels and extended shooting is the norm.

Greenbrier, I would suggest that you go with the slowest twist available to stabalize the bullet that you want to shoot.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have had Pac Nor build me...along with some friends many heavy varmint/target tubes....I screw them into Savage s/shot actions myself...never had a bad one...very accurate..easy to clean....all 3 groove..except my 358 Win which is a 5 groove..my last order in December was a 6.5 x 284 8 twist/3 groove...cost ? They build them to your specs...same price for a 20" as a 28"...a prefit Savage ready to set up is $425 shipped...SS SM/no flutes....you can add about $125 if they set it up on your action..so $550 is a close estimate...and an 8-9 week wait...getting ready to order a 6XC for a buddy...heavy/no taper large shank Savage prefit...give Penny a call @ Pac Nor...tell her tikkanut suggested Pac Nor... laugh

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Greenbrier
I am wanting to rebarrel a Mdl 7 SS. I want to rebarrel it to a 20" 7mm-08. I have read where several members have raved about the 3-groove barrel. While looking at their site, they have listed $300.00 to rebarrel and true the action. This seems like a great deal. I know the gunsmith I used last time charged me way more than that. Has anyone used Pac-Nor? If so, what were the results?

PN did my 223AI and I am very pleased with it.

It's a 3groove as well(8-twist). I sent them a dummy round stuffed with the 75A-Max and they did a fine job. I had them do the flutes as well (yes, they were timed perfectly without my having to mention it). I haven't shot mine a whole lot and run moly on my bullets so I don't know about how easy/fast it will clean up.

The $300 price tag is in addition to the cost of the barrel you decide to go with. I'm assuming you knew that but wanted to be sure. It used to be cheaper than that. A little over a year ago the price for the same work was $250ish I believe.

Pic of said rifle
[Linked Image]

Target: 3 shots in center hole after final scope adjustment
[Linked Image]

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
This is really the kind of info what I was looking for. I am going to have them duplicate the bbl conture on the Mod 7. I want to shoot 120 gr TTSX's, but if the barrel does not like them will shoot 140 gr AB or similar. I guess they will tell me what twist I need.
I dont understand why go w/ the slowest twist? Will you explain this to me?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They trued my VZ-24 and installed a 22" #3 SS Select Match or whatever the top grade is. Very satisfied so far.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm on my third rifle with a Pac Nor barrel. The first was fitted by a nationally known gunsmith. Pac Nor rebarreled a CZ 527 American from .221 Fireball to .17 Fireball including fitting the barrel and truing the action. It shoots very very well, as good as the first barrel done by the 'smith. They are right now, converting a CZ 527 American from .22 Hornet to a .17 Ackley Hornet with a 1-9" twist 3 groove Super Match Grade SS with 11 degree target crowned bead blasted barrel. I am the sure the result will be excellent. Deal without fear. They are very good at what they do, and they're just as good as fitting their barrels and truing the action as they are at making barrels. Their customer service (Penny) is excellent too.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Greenbrier, why get a twist to stabilize a 175g bullet if all you are ever going to shoot is a 140 or lighter? Slower twist equals less pressure for one thing.

Ever wonder why benchrest shooters get the proper twist for the bullet they are shooting? Answer: Super accuracy.

Pac Nor will tell you the proper twist for the bullet length that you will be shooting.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
They have done 2 for me. Very happy with the work.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 257 mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,326
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.