Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
It was love at first sight; I had to have her.

While there is a rather sizeable (and none too cheap) laundry list of mods I could do to her, I'm limiting myself for the sake of cost.

First, I've just stripped the finish and am going to steam out the gouges, do my best to lift out the darkening oil stains, and give her 30 or so coats of good oil. Then I'm going to glass bed... the area inside the stock between the reciever and bottom metal was cracked so there is obviously stress there.

Other than that, she needs shootin'!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats!! That's a very nice looking rifle. [Linked Image]

Here's my Husqvarna Model 46 in 9.3x57:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now I just need to find the time to actually shoot it!! It's been finished for months now. crazy

A couple of photos I found on the web that you might enjoy:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a similar Mod 46, no scope or recoil pad, all original, with fancier wood. It's a fantastic shooter with the factory irons,stocks were made to be used with the iron sights, plus I like that long barrel. My idea of an ideal looking rifle would be one with a stock with rounded pistol grip like the 46 and schnabel forend like the 146. I had played with the idea of getting on in a 9.3x62 but like the 57mm length so well I'll just stick with it.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are very common here in Sweden (as you might expect!).

Make sure that you check the bedding! Many of these rifles had zero clearance at the tang and they will split there.

A quick bedding of at least the recoil lug should be considered.

Congrats on a fine rifle!

John

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
jpb,

Y'all have nice taste in rifles.

I am going to bed the whole deal, as the area inside the stock between the bottom metal and reciever is cracked. I'll make a point of relieving the tang as well.

Thanks for the compliments all,

efw

IC B2

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Bob F,

I don't get it... shouldn't these rifles cost a lot more?

The wood is great,
[Linked Image]
checkering hand-cut,
[Linked Image]
it appears to me that the rear sight base is machined as part of the barrel,
[Linked Image]
and its all build on an FN '98 action.

I have seriously considered picking up a really nice model 46 in the same caliber and having the chamber in this 146 lengthened to x62, but that'd be more money than I have right now and the whole idea was to have a sweet rifle at a really low price.

I honestly don't understand why they're so stinkin' cheap. Anybody have insight?

(btw, Bob, I really like the style of your 46's grip... ok, I LOVE the look of the WHOLE THING... the more I think about it, the closer I come to doing a complete makeover on my 146!)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Bob F,

I don't get it... shouldn't these rifles cost a lot more?

The wood is great, ...

and its all build on an FN '98 action.

I have seriously considered picking up a really nice model 46 in the same caliber and having the chamber in this lengthened to x62, but that'd be more money than I have right now and the whole idea was to have a sweet rifle at a really low price.

I honestly don't understand why they're so stinkin' cheap. Anybody have insight?

Well, IMHO, the rifles are getting old and most have some flaws such as cracked stocks, need bedding work, etc. I think most are probably priced about right (I haven't checked that many vendors' prices) with all things considered. They are quality rifles; most just need a little tender loving care.

I'm not an expert on the Husqvarna riles but the model 46 and 46a are built on the 94/96 action while the model 146, like yours, has a 98 action. The 146, IMHO, would make a better platform for conversion to a 9.3x62.

I don't think there's anyhing "wrong" with the 9.3x57, though. I haven't even shot mine yet much less started to work up handloads for it. I am looking forward to working with the ol' 9.3x57, though. I think it's an interesting cartridge.

Here's a photo I found on the web that I thought you might find of interest:

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah I suppose you're right about the shape of the rifles out there. Mine was made in the late-'30s. I guess its a great situation for someone like me who enjoys the work.

Your understanding of the models and their parent actions is mine as well. I was thinking of picking up a 46 like yours, leaving it as-is, and upping my 146 to x62 as you suggest. Not sure how such a light rifle would feel in such a slugger of a cartridge though.

Doesn't really matter though... at this point the funds aren't there, so I'll play w/ the x57 and keep this potential plan in the back of my mind for later reference.

If you're just thinking about loading the x57 here is a thread/board you might find of interest:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?645-Handloading-the-9-3x57

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even though the ol' 9.3x57 is no speedster, it actually compares quite well to some other cartridges (many of which have been commonly used for hunting in the woods or brush); especially to the .35 Remington and .358 Winchester.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the tip about the gunboards forum. I've been a member there for a couple of years now but I just don't post there very much. As you suggest, they do have some good info about handloading the 9.3x57.

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mine is a shooting SOB with 286gr Norma Alaska and a dose of RL15, I've only run it to 100yards with the open sights to date.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah I agree.

I recall reading something very recently (I'm pretty sure it was on that forum) which pointed out that the x57 as we load it today is a balistic match for the x62 back when it got its rep w/ pioneer farmers in Africa. Don't know if that is historically accurate and I don't even remember exactly where I read it... pretty sure it was on that board.

Good going back and forth; I look forward to hearing what you come up w/ when you get out w/ that rifle!

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by jkingrph
My idea of an ideal looking rifle would be one with a stock with rounded pistol grip like the 46 and schnabel forend like the 146.

As I was lustily oogling Bob's rifle I thought exactly the same thing...

You're right about the stock cut. I really like the overall look of the sights, but that rear one has one heckofa narrow notch and the brass bead just doesn't show up as well as my eyes would like. I will likely try making both contrast more... perhaps white enamel up front and matte blue in back, with a little file work... but high-vis sights all the way around would serve me well.

If that rear sight weren't so classy with the machined base I'd more strongly consider a Williams 5D...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
i have a german built 9.3x57 built on a small ring/large thread mauser. absolutely loves the 270 speer and varget. with the williams peep on the back, i can do about 3" @ 200 yds. it killer on black bear.

also, if anyone is looking for a boolit mold, there is a group buy going on the cast boolit site:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=71892

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Count me as a fan of the genre as well. Don't know exactly which models I have, but I've stuck with the 9.3x62 thus far. Bought a 98 action that I had a little custom work done on that I then dropped in a Bansner stock. Had a Winchester 70 style two position saftey added, had the stripper clip hump milled off and then added some Talley ultralights. Haven't done much with it yet, but looks like it will run about 7.5 lbs with a leupold 4x.

Then just last night snagged another off of gunbroker. Ad says it's a 96, but it appears to have either a cock on open kit added or it's actually a 98. Been wanting a easy packing open sighted rifle, and couldn't pass it up for well under $400. Probably will just shore up the stock and run it as is. Love the pictures of all the rifles, but especially BFaucett's 146. That's what a rifle should look like!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Love the pictures of all the rifles, but especially BFaucett's 146. That's what a rifle should look like!

Thanks! It's actually a Model 46 (94/96 action), though. I had some work done on it by my gunsmith:

The stock was stripped of its finish, dents were raised, oil damaged wood was repaired, and the stock received a new hand-rubbed oil finish. It was converted to cock on opening with a Dayton Traister speed lock kit which included a Mark II trigger, custom striker spring, and cocking piece. A Precise Metalsmithing (Wisner) two-position safety was installed. The action was glass bedded.

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My darling wife bought me a nice 146 in 9.3 x 57 for Christmas! Has a short side rail scope mount (with an old Bushnell 2.5x sportview post reticle). She knew just how much I love Mausers. I've got everything to start stuffing bullets into some hulls, just haven't had the time as of yet. Let me figure out how to post an image and I'll stick a few on here. It has a really nice wood as well as a sterling silver plate on the stock with the prior owners name engraved on it! As well as seven tiny brass nails on the right side below the heel of the stock! I suppose seven sucessful shots!!!!

Kaywoodie

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/07/10.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 9.3x57, under my 6.5x54K (and no, it is not a 6.5 M-S). The Husqvarna is a marvelous rifle; I only wish I had another one so I could modify it to hold a scope...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One day...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Okay, Here's my Husky 146. Can't wait to get it out in the field. I love these rifles!

[Linked Image]

I need to pull it out of the stock to check the inner stock. John, thanks for the recommendation about at least bedding the recoil lug. This has been a point of conversation around the "gunsmithing bench" at work lately!

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's some really neat old rifles here! Thanks for posting your photos everyone!

The ol' 9.3x57 may live on after all!! grin

-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by muledeer
My 9.3x57, under my 6.5x54K (and no, it is not a 6.5 M-S).

6.5x54 K Mauser! OK, now I'm officially jealous!!!

-Bob F. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.