-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
223 and either a 270/308/7mm Rem Mag. I'd buy a medium weight rifle in ....

Regards,

Tom
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since big bears are out of the picture...

I'd go with a 243 and a 7mm-08/308/270. Easy recoil, easy to find ammo and will work up to moose with the right bullets.

RH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am going to go a little off the usual philosophy here and say:

1894 Marlin in 44 Mag/44 Spcl.
Great woods gun, great short range woods rifle. Will kill game efficiently from bunnies to big bucks with the right bullet.

Quick shots, great with a peep, two different cartridges in one gun, you can get a wide variety of bullets, and hella fun to shoot at the range.

7mm Remington Magnum in a Remington 700 XCR
Bolt action, stainless steel, full bed synthetic stock.

80 bullets to chose from for reloading from 100 gr to 180 gr flying really fast without punishing recoil. Great ballistic coefficients and sectional densities. Wide variety of factory loadings (over 60 different loads available through one online retailer).

Effective for anything from Coyotes to Moose with 300+ yard effective range and retained energies that make a 30-06 look pretty tired.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
338 Winchester Magnum in a Bolliger Signature Rifle
500 NE in a William Evans Double Rifle with an extra set of shotgun barrels.

That is all you would ever need for your whole life and you could shoot everything from a rabbit to an elephant and be completely happy.

Sincerely,
Thomas

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
30-06 and a 220 Swift..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2 - 308's or maybe a 223 and 30-06?

anyone disagree?

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
223 rem and

3006 or
7mm Rem Mag of some sort or
300 Mag of some sort or
338 mag etc

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7remmag
270 win 375 h&h covers it all!!!

World wide
+1
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll say a 7mm-08 and a 300 WSM since varmints don't matter much to the OP (and .22 RF's are cheap anyway).... That's a nice big-game pairing for a non-reloader...

Substitute a 30-06 for the WSM and ammo is even easier, and recoil is a bit less. It's really hard to argue against a bolt 30-06 as an all-arounder up to elk. Great, great cartridge. It's what I bought my brother for his "one rifle"... It's what I bought first for myself...

Whether to aim for making your rifle pair similar, or different, is an interesting question. A case could be made for either. Similar would nice in terms of as a backup or loaner or commonality of training between them. Different would be nice because you could specialize a bit, or have one gun be more "fun", like a lever or semi-auto or featherweight or whatever...

My first two big game rifles were a 30-06 and a 7mm-08, but more to the point the 7-08 is a Model 7- a short barreled, compact bolt gun. I use the M7 in thicker timber and such; it's wonderful for that. A 44 mag or 30-30 lever gun might really turn your crank. Or an AR. Depends on lots of things I suppose.

But the one, single Thing That Is True is that ONE of the pair should be a good solid bolt gun in a major, common caliber.

I've mostly hunted a .358 model 7 and a .325 WSM Kimber the last two seasons. One is optimized for great handling in tight quarters, and short to medium range; the other has some "reach". The calibers are oddballs, don't go there; I'm just saying a compact bolt rifle and a more "normal" one is a good pairing, almost regardless of caliber.

(Short answer: buy a 30-06. No-brainer. Shoot it a bunch, use what you learn to decide what gun #2 should be) smile

Last edited by Jeff_O; 01/06/10.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I just got on thread so I really am not going to read 5 pages.
IMHO. I would go with a 6.5 caliber for varmits up to deer at 500 yards.
Then I would go 300wsm for deer 350 to 800 and elk size up to 600
I have hunted all over world and the 300wsm is what I use 95% of time.
There is no such thing as to dead.

Last edited by TMAC; 01/06/10.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Dan_Reed
WOW, thank you all for the thoughtful input. This really seems to be a great forum...after reading all your posts, I should answer some of the questions/assumptions for clarification, please feel free to refine your input based on the following:

1. Big Brown Bears (big money guided trophy hunts)are out for this decade. I am only hunting for meat, excercise, and face time with God's ceation for now.

2. Reloading: not yet, hopefully someday. Ammo cost is a factor, now thatyou mention it...I am not a total cheapskate (like my brother :), but to be practical, cheaper ammo means more shooting, right?

3. RE: Smaller rifle- maybe I should lean more toward the larger calibers (.243, .25-06, etc.)of your recommemdations since I care more having an extra deer rifle for family to share than zapping prairie dogs for example...sure I will enjoy the shooting practice on ground hogs to help a farmer maintain his fields, or coyotes.

4. RE: recoil, it only SOMEWHAT of a concern...while I am not afraid to shoot bigger gun, I have been told that shooting better is more important than massive power...

hopefully, this info allows all of your collective years of wisdom to be applied more precisely...

I'd be solidly in the camp of those recommending .223 and .30-'06 (or .308).

But...

If bears are off the menu for now, you could well step down from the .30 cals to the light 7's (7x57, 7mm-08), the .270, or the .260. Any of those are still elk-capable cartridges, and would have a tad more versatility toward the varmint end of things. From an ammo supply/cost standpoint, you're probably better off with the .270. My reasoning is that they would be a bit lighter on the shoulder. Then again, your particular shoulder may not feel any difference whatsoever between shooting a .270 and a .30-'06, so it would all be academic.

I'd still stick with the .223 on the lower end. You get low ammo cost, excellent shootability, and it's still deer-capable with non-varmint bullets and a practiced and confident shooter pressing the trigger.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by sambo3006
How 'bout a .243 and the 7mm mag mentioned in the original post. TSX's have apparently made the .24 cals kill all out of proportion to caliber and the 55 gr BT would be death on vermin at 3800 fps.
The 7mm Rem Mag doesn't recoil bad at all, no worse than a 30-06 in my experience. Shoots flat and will handle anything up to moose with the proper bullet.

I think I am going to agree with Sambo on this one. I have spent most of my adult years shooting cartridges just a tick off the beaten path, but in the last few months, I have been thinking quite a bit about owning rifles chambered for readily available cartridges. ANY two bit sporting goods store, and half the mom and pop gas stations between here and Tyler, Texas, will have .243 and 7mm Rem Mag behind the counter. You can afford to buy a box of Remington Corelokts for either cartridge, and not have to sell a kidney, and neither round will kick the fillings out of your teeth.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.223 and either a .308 or .30-06 would be my choice.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
.243 and .308 in the same model rifle makes sense to me. I shoot a pair of Sako L579 Foresters.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
WOW, thank you all for the thoughtful input. This really seems to be a great forum...after reading all your posts, I should answer some of the questions/assumptions for clarification, please feel free to refine your input based on the following:

1. Big Brown Bears (big money guided trophy hunts)are out for this decade. I am only hunting for meat, excercise, and face time with God's ceation for now.

2. Reloading: not yet, hopefully someday. Ammo cost is a factor, now thatyou mention it...I am not a total cheapskate (like my brother :), but to be practical, cheaper ammo means more shooting, right?

3. RE: Smaller rifle- maybe I should lean more toward the larger calibers (.243, .25-06, etc.)of your recommemdations since I care more having an extra deer rifle for family to share than zapping prairie dogs for example...sure I will enjoy the shooting practice on ground hogs to help a farmer maintain his fields, or coyotes.

4. RE: recoil, it only SOMEWHAT of a concern...while I am not afraid to shoot bigger gun, I have been told that shooting better is more important than massive power...

hopefully, this info allows all of your collective years of wisdom to be applied more precisely...

With this clarified criteria it's got .243 and .308/30-06 written all over it. For what you describe I don't know what would be more available and cost effective and cover your needs better.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For many years I owned just two rifles. (Both were tang safety Rugers.)

The 220 Swift took care of all the varmints and the 270 took care of every thing larger than coyotes.

I figured that if I ever could afford to hunt something which required more killing than the 270 could do, I'd also be able to afford to buy another rifle in 338 Win Mag.

That was a long time ago. Now I have five prairie dog / varmint rifles and six deer rifles. As of yet, I've had no need for that 338 Win Mag. Maybe some day...

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
358win 30-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a new rifle hunter, If you were planning to buy TWO rifles only, what would they be chambered in?....I have read enough to realize that most people would not agree on any ONE caliber as a "do everything well" caliber. Since we all like to hunt and shoot, why would we WANT to only have one rifle anyway?
Hopefully they would have some overlap in their capabilities (both should handle deer so I have an extra to loan) the bigger one for Elk, Deer, Bear, possibly a Moose someday? The smaller for Deer sized game and smaller with some varmints and paper too.
My recent hunting background includes 11 Ohio Whitetails (so far ;)) in two seasons, mostly archery up close and personal, a few with 12ga slugs and muzzle loader....planning to hunt all over where rifles are used, especially in Oregon where I was raised and need to get started with an Elk rifle...
If I were to ask you to pick only one it would prob be the .30-06? but if two, I was thinking the .30-06 might be end up between two better choices?...

my opinions from lessons learned:
1. Archery taught me that getting close is DOABLE and FUN. also that shot placement is more important than raw power!

2. Shooting 1.25 OZ.Magnum Slugs taught me that MASSIVE recoil just plain sucks at the range! I never felt a thing when dropping a buck in his tracks, but lower recoil is prefered...

my guess is: 7mm Rem Mag and .25-06 ?

Thx in advance for your valued input!

Dan

"Are these 12ga. sabot slugs good for deer? Heck No, it will kill 'em!" ahahahahaha

You nailed it.The 25-06 and 7 maggie are both very sensible choices for what you plan to do.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
22-250AI and 300 Jarrett

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
223 and 35 Whelen.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 2ndwind, 4214chip, 36 invisible), 2,974 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,623
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.