NIKON PROSTAFF - 480 CLICKS OF CAN-DO!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#9517942 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: saddlering]
21 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: georgia
This sure is an old thread, but since it has returned.........Get past the glitz-----and comparatively speaking in relation to other commemoratives it's not much, it is a factory heavy barreled non-tang safety Savage 99 in the most accurate caliber ever put in this particular rifle that shoots lights out---at least mine does.

RV 728 BP
#9518310 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: 21]
wyo1895 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Wyoming
I'm with 21. If I found one for $350 I'd snap it up and got hunting with it.

#9518356 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: 21]
1899guy Offline
Campfire Regular

I purchased a 75th Anniversary Commemorative 99 in .308 a few years ago. Right off the bat I thought it was too gaudy. Just too much bling for me. Second, I did not like the gold lever. Third, I felt that the stock, much like many of the 99's manufactured toward the end of their era was far too clunky. Kind of like they were in a hurry and did little hand-fitting. Keep in mind that I wanted mine to hunt with. I bought it new-in-box, but like some of you, I am not going to let my wonderful 99's collect dust just so somebody who inherits them after I am gone can sell them for top dollar. I want to use mine. I sent my stock off to Dennis Pritchard, the best stock guy for 99's that I have ever met. He fine-tuned my clunky stock, into something that Arthur Savage would have appreciated. Will post a photo in a bit as I think it turned out nicely. For the caliber, I agree. It should have at least been a .300 Savage even if the era for such a gun was wrong given the 1895 v/s .300 did not exist at same time. That said, like I mentioned I shoot mine and even with factory ammo, it is a tack driver but .308 is a very accurate caliber in just about any gun. Going forward I plan to have the gold colored (plated I think) lever buffed off and take it to Doug Turnbull to be case colored. When done, it won't be original but will be a shooter that will make a pretty sweet elk-stick. Thoughts?

#9518421 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: 1899guy]
wyo1895 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Wyoming
I like it but would have set aside the original stock and had a new stock and forearm made for it but then I'm a collector as well as a user. I'll bet an earlier lever safety lever could be fitted easily also.

#9518740 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: wyo1895]
1899guy Offline
Campfire Regular

[/URL]

[/URL]

I never seem to be able to do this right but hopefully this time it took. You will see the clunky, unrefined forearm has been slimmed down to what was the norm in the time of the 99 in its prime, where time was spent on details and proper fitting, unlike the latter years. Also excess weight was taken off in the wrist. This is now one of my favorite hunting guns. Oh, and the reason I am removing the plating from this lever and having it properly case colored, v/s just purchasing a different lever and saving the original, is that I don't want any of my decendants who might inherit this gun, to look like a Pimp. Just too gaudy with that brass lever. Compare this with the 75th Anniversary units out of the box, and I think this one looks a lot better. As far as the oft-mentioned quality of the latter 99's, this one works just great.

Edited by 1899guy (01/16/15)

#9518845 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: 1899guy]
sayak Online   content

Loc: Soldotna, Alaska
Originally Posted By: 1899guy
[/URL]

[/URL]

I never seem to be able to do this right but hopefully this time it took. You will see the clunky, unrefined forearm has been slimmed down to what was the norm in the time of the 99 in its prime, where time was spent on details and proper fitting, unlike the latter years. Also excess weight was taken off in the wrist. This is now one of my favorite hunting guns. Oh, and the reason I am removing the plating from this lever and having it properly case colored, v/s just purchasing a different lever and saving the original, is that I don't want any of my decendants who might inherit this gun, to look like a Pimp. Just too gaudy with that brass lever. Compare this with the 75th Anniversary units out of the box, and I think this one looks a lot better. As far as the oft-mentioned quality of the latter 99's, this one works just great.

She's more perty now! How does that crescent butt plate feel behind the .308's recoil?

#9519024 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: sayak]
1899guy Offline
Campfire Regular

Its fine when hunting but at the shooting bench, if its warm and you are wearing a t-shirt and it is just right, it will pinch the crap out of your arm-pit, against the shooting bench. All in all though, I do like it. I don't think you will find a more accurate version of a 99.

#9519267 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: 99guy]
BIG_JOE Offline

Loc: sne
Looks like something a pimp might buy.

#9519313 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: BIG_JOE]
sayak Online   content

Loc: Soldotna, Alaska
Pimps don't buy rifles.
If they did they would be pink or purple with way more bling, and probably not a lever action.

#9519356 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: sayak]
johno Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Victoria, Australia
I think that has come up nice, as you have already modified it why not not have the barrel set back and chambered for 300 savage, if its not at 22" get it cut and re crowned. Might as well get it checkered like on the Ks. That would look sweet

johno

#9519365 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: johno]
Calhoun Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Eastern Nebraska
Don't look bad at all, any idea how much weight was removed with the wood? Pretty sure I wouldn't go to that much effort for a 75th Anniversary, but if I ever find one of those octagon barreled 99C's it'd be nice to restock or refinish and hunt it. But I can understand you wanting to.

#9519549 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: Calhoun]
1899guy Offline
Campfire Regular

Thanks for your input "Big Joe". On a more serious note, johno, where would I get something like that done, in regard to rechambering?? Since I already have it in .308 and it shoot so well, I would not change this one, but I have a few others that I might change. Your input is appreciated. Calhoun, no idea on the wood but the guy who does this sends me photo's sometimes and watching what he does to the stocks, in regard to removing wood, makes me weak in the knee's. Glad I am not there to see him do it but once done, the 99's that start out "clunky" and unrefined sure do look sweet. I know to the purists this is not a good thing to do but I have owned a few 99's made in the 70's and 80's, and always hated the lack of refinement on the stocks. Am pleased so far with this one. I think it will look pretty good with a case colored lever. Any thoughts on the fugly front sight? Never been a fan but that was the style back in the early days, right? Or is the material wrong?

#9519622 - 01/16/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: 1899guy]
johno Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Any competent gunsmith with a 300 savage reamer can do that, all your doing is shortening the over all length of your chamber so you can crib the 300 reamer a bit deeper to get past the 308 dimensions. You loose maybe 1/2" of of threads and the somith simply re threads it deeper. I don't explain things very well mate but i'm sure oldgunsmith or gunplumber, one of the boys here can do a much better job.

John

#9520112 - 01/17/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: johno]
Calhoun Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Eastern Nebraska
Shorten the barrel and the forearm stud is in the wrong place to mate with the hole.

Probably easier to buy another postmil in 300 and swap barrels.

Edited by Calhoun (01/17/15)

#9520335 - 01/17/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: Calhoun]
johno Online   content
Campfire Ranger

Just have to do a little pruning on the forend then Rory, thats what chain saws are for. You have to do that if correct head space issues that way also

Johno

#9521627 - 01/17/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: BIG_JOE]
CowboyTim Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: BIG_JOE
Looks like something a pimp might buy.

My dad is a former USMC Scout/Sniper, he bought one 2-3 months ago and thinks its pretty nice...doesn't hurt that it shoots damn good(of course he thinks the .308 is a pretty fair cartridge too).

Don't think ANYBODY would ever call him a "pimp".

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Only turdlike on most days that end with "y".

#9521650 - 01/17/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: CowboyTim]
1899guy Offline
Campfire Regular

So, we have two people (1 is me) that has shot this gun and demonstrated that it is damn accurate, especially for a lever gun. Refine the wood so it cosmetically is better looking. Then what makes this gun not superior in function to the pre-war guns? In fact, if it is inferior as so many say, what makes this gun inferior? Surely the latter 99's were made of the most up-to-date metals.

#9521705 - 01/17/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: 1899guy]
Longbeardking Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Lyndeborough New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: 1899guy
So, we have two people (1 is me) that has shot this gun and demonstrated that it is damn accurate, especially for a lever gun. Refine the wood so it cosmetically is better looking. Then what makes this gun not superior in function to the pre-war guns? In fact, if it is inferior as so many say, what makes this gun inferior? Surely the latter 99's were made of the most up-to-date metals.

It all boils down to personal preference. If you like your gun, that's just cool beans. Guns (not ONLY Savages) that were made in the period of MAJOR competition had to cut corners wherever they could. Quality suffered. You've got stamped parts where they were once machined. You have wood either without any embellishments OR ugly fugly pressed checkering. Almost NO hand fitting (inletting) of wood to metal. You just can NOT compare the quality of ANYTHING from yesteryear where pride in craftsmanship mattered. You are talking for the most part to a group that enjoys the finer things in life and prefer NOT to own an ugly anything.

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

#9521717 - 01/17/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: Longbeardking]
Lightfoot Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: So. Kaleefornya
The biggest strike against the so-called Anniversary gun is that it came out in a Winchester cartridge. Going all the way back to the .303 probably wouldn't have been popular either but going to .300 Savage would have been a much better choice. Who wants a Savage anniversary gun with a Winchester cartridge??

#9521833 - 01/17/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: Lightfoot]
Longbeardking Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Lyndeborough New Hampshire
They sold 'em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin wink

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

#9521859 - 01/17/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: Lightfoot]
21 Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: georgia
The problem Savage had in 1970 was the Savage cartridges were deader than they are now. The .308 and .243 saw to that. They made 9999 or 10,000 of them, depending on what you read, and they wouldn't have sold 500 of 'em in .300 or .250. Those of us who appreciate them now probably would not have bought one in those calibers back then either, or at least we would have been one of the 500 that might. Time has a way of making us reflect back on what we should have done (which is why almost none of us has a closet full of NIB Savage 99s' we could have bought back then), but the worst thing Savage could have done is call it an "authentic reproduction". That, it wasn't.

#9521946 - 01/17/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: 21]
Fireball2 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Oregon
Hate is such a strong word.

#9522643 - 01/18/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: Fireball2]
99guy Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: SE, PA
The 75th is a pig in lipstick and high heels.

Comparing it to anything Savage made before 1960 and especially anything made in Utica is like comparing a Yugo to Lamborghini.

It's an embarrassing black eye the in Savage 99 history

If somebody wants to kill deer with it and punch holes in paper, I ain't going to try and stop them, but don't ask why Savage guys don't like it and then get all defensive when we tell you why.

If somebody has one and loves it, WTF would they need our blessing to own it?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~

#9522982 - 01/18/15 Re: Why does everyone hate the 75th Anniversary Savage 99? [Re: 99guy]
1899guy Offline
Campfire Regular

So, you are saying that you are technically unable to answer the question, and feel compelled to cover up your inability to reply to an honest question, with insults and sarcasm? Ok, if you don't know, just say so. Geeez. In the end your opinion may well be correct. I was just wondering why, technically. Specifically. If all you can do is insult and not help some of us newbies to understand, you might just want to listen to what Thumpers Father told him. And it seems that 1,000 "Savage Guys" did like the thing. I like mine. Am I not enough of a "Savage Guy"??? And I don't need your approval nor anyone elses to do anything. I was just asking some questions, much like the original poster of this issue did. Since when does sitting behind a keyboard give license to rudeness? Isn't this site designed to share information with each other and learn, or is it now a place to hold court and pounce on new people not in the right click?

Edited by 1899guy (01/18/15)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Rick99, RickBin, SYSOP 
RV 180 2
CLICK HERE for HUGE SUMMER DAYS SAVINGS on ZEISS OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
RV 160 1 2
RV 160 2 2
Who's Online
185 registered (7mmbuster, 280shooter, 3dtestify, 4th_point, 257heaven, 25 invisible), 750 Guests and 425 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RV 160 3 2
Forum Stats
53,446 Registered Members
72 Forums
691,983 Topics
9,998,495 Posts

Most users ever online: 4,830 @ 12/02/14

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.