-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't know the first thing about gunsmithing. Having said that, I have a M70 in 338 with a crack in the stock, and a gunsmith telling me that I need a new trigger. He wants to charge me $165.00 for a timney(sp?) trigger, plus 125.00 to install it. He told me he could get me a stock for $150.00, and was going to charge me 50.oo to "fit it." I found the trigger at E-gunparts.com for 63.00, and an original M70 stock for 93.00. The guy at e-gunparts said the stock is completely finished and shouldn't need any work. He also "claimed" that I could install the trigger with little or any effort and I should just have a gunsmith check the work after I was done. Any suggestions, or opinions on the subject would be appreciated. Is the gunsmith taking me for a ride or just asking for what the work is worth?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd knock him out! When he woke up,I'd tell him what he did wrong!(grin). That guy,is trying a World Cl*** hose job. I can get you a McMillan Winlite Factory replacement stock,for $80. 100% new,and ready to drop-in. Bed it,and you are on your way. You will be able to install the Timney,in your sleep. Several friends,have purchased the stocks,and are delighted.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I will be the first to say that he is trying to rob you blind. A Timney trigger for a M70 is under $100.00. The $125.00 for insalling it is a bit high as well. Sometimes you can get by with just dropping the trigger in Sometimes they require fiting of the safety because the striker release is a not in the same exact spot.<BR>I would charge $35.00 for that. And I am not cheap.<BR>The stock is high too. Especially if you found one for $93.00. Fitting is not required, but, I would opt to have it Gl*** pillar bedded anyways. A used wood factory stock will be wore in a bit to the previous barreled action, plus factory bedding is crap anyways. If he was going to bed it for $50.00 that is cheap and I would be suspect of maybe not so good of work. I would charge Twice that for an A-1 pillar bed job.<BR>Hope this helped you some.........Celt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with big stick and celt. this guy is trying to rob you. If you want a gunsmith to do the work get it back from him and find another.<P> My .02<P> Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whoa!<BR>Fix the stock with accragl*** and refinish it yourself,then take the rifle to a good 'smith or send it to me,Celt,John Ricks,or any good 'smith for trigger evaluation and correction if needed.<BR>Holy dog doo batman!!!!!!<BR>I was already to defend some guy when I saw the topic but this guy needs a Kiwi enema!<BR>No wonder I ain't makin' any money plumbin' guns!!<BR>Hey Celt! ever heard of a M70 trigger going bad and cracking a stock?<BR>For the life of me I think your 'smith in question didn't wish to be bothered with your repair...or is an idot.<BR>Cheers!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
new2Alaska, I would whole heartedly recommend E4E (Pat) to do work on your rifle. He has been the best experience I have ever had working with a gunsmith. He is easy to reach, answers phone calls and emails. That smith I used before Pat kept my gun for almost two years when he told me that it would be a few weeks. He lied to me about part availability, and did shotty work to boot.<P>Greg Yonkers

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
&^%#$ Maybe I should start charging prices like the guy, and I could retire 5 years ago!!! Celt is correct, not only is the guy a Con artist, but he dosen't understand bedding. A good bedding job is time intensive, and in my shop, time is money. And I want to know how a trigger splits the stock. Maybe the guy thinks the pull is too heavy, and your grip around the stock is so tight that the stock splits!!!! I am still falling out of the chair laughing. Send it to E4E, this is his area of expertise.

From Real Sasquatch Country: I Seen 'em!
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for all the info. After calling around here in town, which I should have done in the first place, I found out that the guy was "the biggest con going" here. I just got my rifle back and needless to say he won't be getting anymore gunsmith business from me.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Forgot to clear something up. The trigger didn't make the stock crack. 2 seperate things. Sorry for the mix-up. Regardless, rifle work goes to someone else from now on.<BR>thanks again,<BR>jim

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Guy has a problem with his plumbing. Calls for help and a craftsman arrives, taps the drain pipe twice and says all is good. ''And that will be $250, sir.'' Homeowner replies,''Geez, I'm a doctor and I don't charge that much for so little.'' Plumber: ''Yeah, I know, I used to be be a doctor,too'' Your gunsmith went to the same school.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,486 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.