24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

My only complaint is their web site lists a 450 Nitro Express: as I have said before here at the campfire - which one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.450_Nitro_Express this site expresses it well, ".450 Nitro Express is a name given to several cartridges designed for the purpose of hunting large game such as elephant, not just one specific cartridge."

A minor issue, but heck this is a campfire discussion.

Thanks for the kudos, siskiyous6.

Mods, if you feel this post violates board rules in any way, please feel free to remove.

We've come a long way since the 1st conversion(s) ... but still learning about the intricacies of all of the "big game" calibers. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be going to educate myself about the .450 NE differences since you've pointed this out.

Unlike some of the other folks out there, you all seem to understand that these are custom made and regulated barrels attached to the CZ factory monoblock. [Linked Image]

Renee

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Renee,

How much does a 30-40 weigh? Is it made on the 20 gauge or 28 gauge frame? Are any made on the 28? Could you make a 30-40 or 30-30 on the 28? Thanks.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It is no Searcy & Co. And surely not an American made gun. One thing I would not skimp on if buying and really needing and planning to use would be a dangerous game rifle.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have owned and used Clark Custom Guns for over forty years. Jimbo was a young man when I started doing business with his daddy, Mr. Jim Clark. Jimbo grew into a fine man, shooter, gunsmith and businessman. He has continued to surrond himself with fine people that only know how to build excellent firearms. Renee is a long time employee, extremely competitive shooter, not to mention a nice person to do business with, anytime.

I am too old for one of these but I will go by the shop to handle one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 303British would be very cool in one of those. Nice rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not my cup of tea, but break a leg guys.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you see the Sabatti 9.3 X 74R at the East Hartford Cabelas?

The wood is spectacular in its figure. Almost too good?

The metal fit seems good and its only $2900 or so.

The wood looks something like this one.

Wood on Sabatti double rifle

True the pad is weak and "opto wood" is carved into the pistol grip.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Especially fond of doubles be they shotguns or rifles. Offered as constructive criticism: A fine bit of work at what appears to be bargain prices, but the sights need to be refined. Boxy, chunky, presenting as afterthoughts on an otherwise esthetically pleasing gun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I have to agree with Dan. The front sight bases and the quarter ribs seem very unattractive to me.

Also, I'd have another look at IMG_8557 on the web pages. It's probably the photographer's fault, but on my monitor the lock work appears rough and unfinished.

Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Renee,

How much does a 30-40 weigh? Is it made on the 20 gauge or 28 gauge frame? Are any made on the 28? Could you make a 30-40 or 30-30 on the 28? Thanks.

Sorry, don't know - haven't built one in that caliber yet. Jim said he'd build it on a 28 Gauge.

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
It is no Searcy & Co. And surely not an American made gun. One thing I would not skimp on if buying and really needing and planning to use would be a dangerous game rifle.

Absolutely nobody has a better regulation that us and the owner's personal .405 has at least 400 rounds of 400 grain @2100 fps through it.

Originally Posted by SuperCub

We'll do it. Jim says anything with a Rim

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Especially fond of doubles be they shotguns or rifles. Offered as constructive criticism: A fine bit of work at what appears to be bargain prices, but the sights need to be refined. Boxy, chunky, presenting as afterthoughts on an otherwise esthetically pleasing gun.

Thanks for the constructive criticism... Tell us what sights you want and we'll put them on it.

Originally Posted by tjm10025

I have to agree with Dan. The front sight bases and the quarter ribs seem very unattractive to me.

No quarter rib... Ours is all ONE piece!

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CCGInc

[quote=MontanaCreekHunter]It is no Searcy & Co. And surely not an American made gun. One thing I would not skimp on if buying and really needing and planning to use would be a dangerous game rifle.

Absolutely nobody has a better regulation that us and the owner's personal .405 has at least 400 rounds of 400 grain @2100 fps through it.

Those are some big words and I would have to raise the BS flag to that and might want to put on my chest waders. Nobody?????? Really????? So you are saying that a modified CZ is better then a B. Searcy & Co., Holland & Holland, and all the other British best?????? I am not buying that nor the rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Renee,

Sorry, don't know - haven't built one in that caliber yet. Jim said he'd build it on a 28 Gauge.

Originally Posted by SuperCub

We'll do it. Jim says anything with a Rim

Thanks for the constructive criticism... Tell us what sights you want and we'll put them on it.

Originally Posted by tjm10025

No quarter rib... Ours is all ONE piece!

All one piece or not it can be moved and reshaped. A point made early on in the thread mentioned the position of the rear sight. Occurs to me that I'd prefer it further forward. The thing that makes British doubles so delightful is their handling and geometry in my opinion. High sights tend to raise the cheek off the comb all else being equal and does not lend to natural pointing, again in my opinion. Lots of circumstances where this is irrelevant, but sometimes it is VERY relevant.

Not asking you to duplicate this, just take a look at this one...thinking it illustrates my point. The image can be zoomed and moved.

http://www.purdey.com/guns/double-rifles/

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply, Renee. The reason I asked about the 28 gauge frame is because it is significantly lighter in weight than even the 20, and would make into a sweet little stalking rifle. Also, the 28 gauge does not have the cross-bolt lock found on the 20 and 12 gauge guns. The 28 latches only in the lumps/monoblock, whereas the 20 and 12 latch there PLUS the cross-bolt. I assume the 20 and 12 are stronger because of this, hence more desireable for larger calibers.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are some big words and I would have to raise the BS flag to that and might want to put on my chest waders. Nobody?????? Really????? So you are saying that a modified CZ is better then a B. Searcy & Co., Holland & Holland, and all the other British best?????? I am not buying that nor the rifle.

MCH,

On what do you base your cynicism? Do you own any rifles by Searcy or Holland and Holland? CCGInc did not start this thread, not wanting to violate 24HCF policy, but graciously submitted to pointed questioning and responded with class. They are obviously proud of their products and accomplishments, as well they should be. They did not claim their rifle is "better" than any other.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Renee,

Are your barrels permanently connected? Or are they adjustable so the regulation can be changed "easily?"

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have used two Searcy's, have shot a few Holland & Hollands, and used 1 Westley Richards. Not that it matters any, the human eye can clearly see that said gun isn't in the same ballpark as any others I mentioned. As I said before if and when a hunter really needs a double it is something that isn't worth skimping on. Hunters really don't need a double it is more a desire of times gone by. The person that needs the double is the PH, when you can show me a PH using that I will think about concidering it adaquate.

Didn't say our gun was better. The guns you mention are fine weapons and admittedly have a better fit and finish than our guns, all I said was no one has better regulation than us. Jim invites you to stop by the shop any time and you can see for yourself. Jim's retired airplane mechanic (Gary Gullett) who builds these rifles is extremely meticulous.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Thanks for the reply, Renee. The reason I asked about the 28 gauge frame is because it is significantly lighter in weight than even the 20, and would make into a sweet little stalking rifle. Also, the 28 gauge does not have the cross-bolt lock found on the 20 and 12 gauge guns. The 28 latches only in the lumps/monoblock, whereas the 20 and 12 latch there PLUS the cross-bolt. I assume the 20 and 12 are stronger because of this, hence more desireable for larger calibers.

Jim says you are absolutely correct but the 30-40 is at a pressure level that he would choose the 28 Ga. as a platform and agrees with you completely about it being an awesome stalking rifle.

Last edited by CCGInc; 07/28/11. Reason: add photos + typo

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.

All one piece or not it can be moved and reshaped. A point made early on in the thread mentioned the position of the rear sight. Occurs to me that I'd prefer it further forward. The thing that makes British doubles so delightful is their handling and geometry in my opinion. High sights tend to raise the cheek off the comb all else being equal and does not lend to natural pointing, again in my opinion. Lots of circumstances where this is irrelevant, but sometimes it is VERY relevant.

Not asking you to duplicate this, just take a look at this one...thinking it illustrates my point. The image can be zoomed and moved.

http://www.purdey.com/guns/double-rifles/

OOOh! Pretty. We can duplicate the profile (but not the snazzy receiver).

Renee,

Are your barrels permanently connected? Or are they adjustable so the regulation can be changed "easily?"

Yes - they're permanently connected. We'll regulate to your specified factory load or your handload.
Have used two Searcy's, have shot a few Holland & Hollands, and used 1 Westley Richards. Not that it matters any, the human eye can clearly see that said gun isn't in the same ballpark as any others I mentioned. As I said before if and when a hunter really needs a double it is something that isn't worth skimping on. Hunters really don't need a double it is more a desire of times gone by. The person that needs the double is the PH, when you can show me a PH using that I will think about concidering it adaquate.

Mark Kyriacou's Big Game Safaris PH Mark Kyriacou of Big Game Safaris - Botswana is using the Clark .405 double rifle in the photo above (the one with the Cape Buffalo and our gunsmith).

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
So have you shot every double made against your superior regulated barrels, using the same steps? I really don't think you have. Second I have yet to see your double win the stopping rifle comp's. You can claim whatever you want. Oh and is it an American made gun? No it is an import that you altered. Truth is you are building something on a CZ action which wouldn't be my choice for a dangerous game gun.

The person that needs the double is the PH, when you can show me a PH using that I will think about concidering it adaquate.

Mark Kyriacou's Big Game Safaris PH Mark Kyriacou of Big Game Safaris - Botswana is using the Clark .405 double rifle in the photo above (the one with the Cape Buffalo and our gunsmith).

Thought this was settled... sounds like you just want to argue now.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,828 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.