Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Rangr44 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone seen/handled/used one of the new Clark Custom Guns double rifles ?

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/DblRifle.html

[Linked Image]

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, but that's very interesting. Not too sure I'm crazy about the rear sight being placed so far back, and they need to chamber the 9,3x74R, but it looks interesting. If they are going to be exhibiting at SCI I'll have to take a close look.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Rangr44 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Truth be told, I'm a little concerned about two things.

A straight/English grip on a DGR - i.e., controlability issues.

A comment I ran across elsewhere, that these are made on shotgun actions - which I don't know is true or false.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rangr44

A comment I ran across elsewhere, that these are made on shotgun actions - which I don't know is true or false.

I zoomed in as best I could - that action looks VERY Huglu to me.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

What's that line around the barrels just a touch forward of the hinge pin?

- Tom

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by tjm10025

What's that line around the barrels just a touch forward of the hinge pin?

- Tom

That's where the barrels are joined to the mono block. No Chopper Lump Barrel at this price point

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Interesting - I'd like to see one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Appears to be a Huglu/CZ shotgun conversion. Not a very nicely done monoblock/barrel joint. As MD observed, the rear sight is a bit rearward, and to me, the quarter rib is kinda short. Other than that, it looks pretty good! grin

Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The front sight looks a bit odd to me too.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I wonder if they'll make a drilling? I've been fascinated with those lately, and would buy one if I could get up the requisite amount of FRN$'s.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by akjeff
the quarter rib is kinda short.

Maybe it's a 1/8th rib.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by akjeff
the quarter rib is kinda short.

Maybe it's a 1/8th rib.

Good one! grin

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Their shop isn't far from here and I've been there to have some work done on both a 1911 and a 10/22. Maybe I should go by and see if they one in stock.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the work is the same quality as that they did on my S&W 625, and the quality they are know for in all their work, it won't be long before we all wish we had gotten one when the prices were this low.

Good people doing good work, that's what I found at Clarks.

My only complaint is their web site lists a 450 Nitro Express: as I have said before here at the campfire - which one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.450_Nitro_Express this site expresses it well, ".450 Nitro Express is a name given to several cartridges designed for the purpose of hunting large game such as elephant, not just one specific cartridge."

A minor issue, but heck this is a campfire discussion.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is a link to a video on the website. Guns and Gear, link on the left side of the page.

Mr. Clark confirms the CZ shotgun conversion on the video. a 405 Win is fired five times. This rifle has a pistol grip and the sight appears much further away from the eye than the photo posted.

What caught my attention was a Clark hand load for the 405 with a 400 gr bullet @ 2,150 fps.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hmmmm.... A double .450-400 for around $5,000... Interesting!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If it's a CZ shotgun conversion, should we refer to it as an "American-Made" Double Rifle?

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If it's coming out of Jimmy Clark's shop, I'll call it American grin

CSMC, Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company, has a 20ga SxS slug gun that they've been marketing that is 100% American made, don't know if they plan to do a full out rifle.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That video with the 405 on a 20ga receiver was cool, I want one.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by NathanL
Their shop isn't far from here and I've been there to have some work done on both a 1911 and a 10/22. Maybe I should go by and see if they one in stock.

Been watching a few on Gunbroker, and have been trying to find what a new Merkel 96 costs-for the plain Jane version. Probably more than I can afford right now, at least not without selling half of my present collection.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

My only complaint is their web site lists a 450 Nitro Express: as I have said before here at the campfire - which one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.450_Nitro_Express this site expresses it well, ".450 Nitro Express is a name given to several cartridges designed for the purpose of hunting large game such as elephant, not just one specific cartridge."

A minor issue, but heck this is a campfire discussion.

Thanks for the kudos, siskiyous6.

Mods, if you feel this post violates board rules in any way, please feel free to remove.

We've come a long way since the 1st conversion(s) ... but still learning about the intricacies of all of the "big game" calibers. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be going to educate myself about the .450 NE differences since you've pointed this out.

Unlike some of the other folks out there, you all seem to understand that these are custom made and regulated barrels attached to the CZ factory monoblock. [Linked Image]

Renee

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Renee,

How much does a 30-40 weigh? Is it made on the 20 gauge or 28 gauge frame? Are any made on the 28? Could you make a 30-40 or 30-30 on the 28? Thanks.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It is no Searcy & Co. And surely not an American made gun. One thing I would not skimp on if buying and really needing and planning to use would be a dangerous game rifle.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have owned and used Clark Custom Guns for over forty years. Jimbo was a young man when I started doing business with his daddy, Mr. Jim Clark. Jimbo grew into a fine man, shooter, gunsmith and businessman. He has continued to surrond himself with fine people that only know how to build excellent firearms. Renee is a long time employee, extremely competitive shooter, not to mention a nice person to do business with, anytime.

I am too old for one of these but I will go by the shop to handle one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 303British would be very cool in one of those. Nice rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not my cup of tea, but break a leg guys.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you see the Sabatti 9.3 X 74R at the East Hartford Cabelas?

The wood is spectacular in its figure. Almost too good?

The metal fit seems good and its only $2900 or so.

The wood looks something like this one.

Wood on Sabatti double rifle

True the pad is weak and "opto wood" is carved into the pistol grip.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Especially fond of doubles be they shotguns or rifles. Offered as constructive criticism: A fine bit of work at what appears to be bargain prices, but the sights need to be refined. Boxy, chunky, presenting as afterthoughts on an otherwise esthetically pleasing gun.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I have to agree with Dan. The front sight bases and the quarter ribs seem very unattractive to me.

Also, I'd have another look at IMG_8557 on the web pages. It's probably the photographer's fault, but on my monitor the lock work appears rough and unfinished.

Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Renee,

How much does a 30-40 weigh? Is it made on the 20 gauge or 28 gauge frame? Are any made on the 28? Could you make a 30-40 or 30-30 on the 28? Thanks.

Sorry, don't know - haven't built one in that caliber yet. Jim said he'd build it on a 28 Gauge.

Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
It is no Searcy & Co. And surely not an American made gun. One thing I would not skimp on if buying and really needing and planning to use would be a dangerous game rifle.

Absolutely nobody has a better regulation that us and the owner's personal .405 has at least 400 rounds of 400 grain @2100 fps through it.

Originally Posted by SuperCub

We'll do it. Jim says anything with a Rim

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Especially fond of doubles be they shotguns or rifles. Offered as constructive criticism: A fine bit of work at what appears to be bargain prices, but the sights need to be refined. Boxy, chunky, presenting as afterthoughts on an otherwise esthetically pleasing gun.

Thanks for the constructive criticism... Tell us what sights you want and we'll put them on it.

I have to agree with Dan. The front sight bases and the quarter ribs seem very unattractive to me.

No quarter rib... Ours is all ONE piece!

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CCGInc

[quote=MontanaCreekHunter]It is no Searcy & Co. And surely not an American made gun. One thing I would not skimp on if buying and really needing and planning to use would be a dangerous game rifle.

Absolutely nobody has a better regulation that us and the owner's personal .405 has at least 400 rounds of 400 grain @2100 fps through it.

Those are some big words and I would have to raise the BS flag to that and might want to put on my chest waders. Nobody?????? Really????? So you are saying that a modified CZ is better then a B. Searcy & Co., Holland & Holland, and all the other British best?????? I am not buying that nor the rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Renee,

Sorry, don't know - haven't built one in that caliber yet. Jim said he'd build it on a 28 Gauge.

Originally Posted by SuperCub

We'll do it. Jim says anything with a Rim

Thanks for the constructive criticism... Tell us what sights you want and we'll put them on it.

No quarter rib... Ours is all ONE piece!

All one piece or not it can be moved and reshaped. A point made early on in the thread mentioned the position of the rear sight. Occurs to me that I'd prefer it further forward. The thing that makes British doubles so delightful is their handling and geometry in my opinion. High sights tend to raise the cheek off the comb all else being equal and does not lend to natural pointing, again in my opinion. Lots of circumstances where this is irrelevant, but sometimes it is VERY relevant.

Not asking you to duplicate this, just take a look at this one...thinking it illustrates my point. The image can be zoomed and moved.

http://www.purdey.com/guns/double-rifles/

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reply, Renee. The reason I asked about the 28 gauge frame is because it is significantly lighter in weight than even the 20, and would make into a sweet little stalking rifle. Also, the 28 gauge does not have the cross-bolt lock found on the 20 and 12 gauge guns. The 28 latches only in the lumps/monoblock, whereas the 20 and 12 latch there PLUS the cross-bolt. I assume the 20 and 12 are stronger because of this, hence more desireable for larger calibers.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are some big words and I would have to raise the BS flag to that and might want to put on my chest waders. Nobody?????? Really????? So you are saying that a modified CZ is better then a B. Searcy & Co., Holland & Holland, and all the other British best?????? I am not buying that nor the rifle.

MCH,

On what do you base your cynicism? Do you own any rifles by Searcy or Holland and Holland? CCGInc did not start this thread, not wanting to violate 24HCF policy, but graciously submitted to pointed questioning and responded with class. They are obviously proud of their products and accomplishments, as well they should be. They did not claim their rifle is "better" than any other.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Renee,

Are your barrels permanently connected? Or are they adjustable so the regulation can be changed "easily?"

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have used two Searcy's, have shot a few Holland & Hollands, and used 1 Westley Richards. Not that it matters any, the human eye can clearly see that said gun isn't in the same ballpark as any others I mentioned. As I said before if and when a hunter really needs a double it is something that isn't worth skimping on. Hunters really don't need a double it is more a desire of times gone by. The person that needs the double is the PH, when you can show me a PH using that I will think about concidering it adaquate.

Didn't say our gun was better. The guns you mention are fine weapons and admittedly have a better fit and finish than our guns, all I said was no one has better regulation than us. Jim invites you to stop by the shop any time and you can see for yourself. Jim's retired airplane mechanic (Gary Gullett) who builds these rifles is extremely meticulous.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Thanks for the reply, Renee. The reason I asked about the 28 gauge frame is because it is significantly lighter in weight than even the 20, and would make into a sweet little stalking rifle. Also, the 28 gauge does not have the cross-bolt lock found on the 20 and 12 gauge guns. The 28 latches only in the lumps/monoblock, whereas the 20 and 12 latch there PLUS the cross-bolt. I assume the 20 and 12 are stronger because of this, hence more desireable for larger calibers.

Jim says you are absolutely correct but the 30-40 is at a pressure level that he would choose the 28 Ga. as a platform and agrees with you completely about it being an awesome stalking rifle.

Last edited by CCGInc; 07/28/11. Reason: add photos + typo

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.

All one piece or not it can be moved and reshaped. A point made early on in the thread mentioned the position of the rear sight. Occurs to me that I'd prefer it further forward. The thing that makes British doubles so delightful is their handling and geometry in my opinion. High sights tend to raise the cheek off the comb all else being equal and does not lend to natural pointing, again in my opinion. Lots of circumstances where this is irrelevant, but sometimes it is VERY relevant.

Not asking you to duplicate this, just take a look at this one...thinking it illustrates my point. The image can be zoomed and moved.

http://www.purdey.com/guns/double-rifles/

OOOh! Pretty. We can duplicate the profile (but not the snazzy receiver).

Renee,

Are your barrels permanently connected? Or are they adjustable so the regulation can be changed "easily?"

Yes - they're permanently connected. We'll regulate to your specified factory load or your handload.
Have used two Searcy's, have shot a few Holland & Hollands, and used 1 Westley Richards. Not that it matters any, the human eye can clearly see that said gun isn't in the same ballpark as any others I mentioned. As I said before if and when a hunter really needs a double it is something that isn't worth skimping on. Hunters really don't need a double it is more a desire of times gone by. The person that needs the double is the PH, when you can show me a PH using that I will think about concidering it adaquate.

Mark Kyriacou's Big Game Safaris PH Mark Kyriacou of Big Game Safaris - Botswana is using the Clark .405 double rifle in the photo above (the one with the Cape Buffalo and our gunsmith).

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
So have you shot every double made against your superior regulated barrels, using the same steps? I really don't think you have. Second I have yet to see your double win the stopping rifle comp's. You can claim whatever you want. Oh and is it an American made gun? No it is an import that you altered. Truth is you are building something on a CZ action which wouldn't be my choice for a dangerous game gun.

The person that needs the double is the PH, when you can show me a PH using that I will think about concidering it adaquate.

Mark Kyriacou's Big Game Safaris PH Mark Kyriacou of Big Game Safaris - Botswana is using the Clark .405 double rifle in the photo above (the one with the Cape Buffalo and our gunsmith).

Thought this was settled... sounds like you just want to argue now.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
no arguing just the truth.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you don't like the rifles (or concept), then don't buy one. Most, I believe, think the idea of an "affordable" double rifle is great!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I may be in the minority but I like the look of the sights as they are. They have a practical looking aesthetic that is really appealing to me.

My own "plan" for getting an inexpensive double rifle involves reaming a 410 shotgun to chamber brass 410 shells loaded with BP and topped with a case bullet crimped as per a normal rifle round.

Then getting some rifled chokes made like and old paradox gun and maybe a custom mold to drop hollowbase bullets to help with gas seal?

No idea yet how to regulate it other then altering charge/bullet weight and I am sure I could easy dump more then $5k into it.

If I were a smart man I would start with modding a .410 Contender barrel first as proof of concept.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bunnielab
I may be in the minority but I like the look of the sights as they are. They have a practical looking aesthetic that is really appealing to me.

I do think the sights need a bit of refining to a more classic look, but anyone who can offer a decent SxS rifle for $5K with good relability and regulation would have a hit.

I also think that offering smaller bores like 7x57R, 303 and 30/30 etc would give a good rifle to fellows who will never go to Africa, but would like a SxS for hunting here in NA.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dood, if you don't like the rifle, don't buy one. Furthermore, unless you're a fascist or a liberal, I'm sure you're not into telling others where their hard earned money should go. Just sayin'...

JV

Last edited by 444afic; 08/02/11.

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I could give two chits where or how anyone spends their money.

I do have a problem with someone claiming that they have the best regulated barrels in the business. (Based on the fact they said so)

That their double is American made when it is only American altered.

Oh and $5000 for something built on a CZ action? Really? They couldn't pick a better made action?

If you have a problem with me saying how I feel don't read my post. If you feel $5K for a CZ built into a double rifle is a good price and a good product have at it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh and $5000 for something built on a CZ action? Really? They couldn't pick a better made action?

MCH,

Is the CZ action substandard?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I could afford 5K for a double, I'd save for another year and get another 5k and buy a Blaser.

But hey I am prejudiced, we are Blaser dealers smile

WildsoigethtemwholesalebesidesAlaska ��2002-2011

Last edited by Wildalaska; 08/04/11.

Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine t�tige Unwissenheit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Big Redhead that would really depend on what the intended purpose of it was. For a shotgun that isn't going to see thousands of rounds thru it, it is fine. They are low pricepoint guns made for hunters.

Wildalsaka you got that right but I would buy a Searcy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Sabattis for the money. The Basic models have bad reputations, however, while the better grade guns in the heavy calibers have very good reputations.

DANG! I would love to have one of the 9,3s, but am a bit leery. eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bunnielab~

there is a wildcat out there that basically duplicates what you are looking for. I can't remember the name of it offhand, but apparently some people have used the 9.3x74R necked up to .458 to shoot 500 gr. bullets in their T/C Contenders chambered for the .45 Colt/ .410 combo barrels.

A place to start looking.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A .30 caliber Rimmed double would be fun, whether .30-30, .30-40 ( laugh ), or .303.

Originally Posted by UncleJake
A .30 caliber Rimmed double would be fun, whether .30-30, .30-40 ( laugh ), or .303.

Good call . . . A Clark .30-30 Double Rifle is exactly what Jim used this past weekend to win the Stalking Rifle championship @ The Vintage Cup - 15th Annual Side by Side Event.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.

I do have a problem with someone claiming that they have the best regulated barrels in the business. (Based on the fact they said so)

Did not. Little math lesson: Did I say greater than . . .? No. I said equal to. You can go look up the difference if you still don't understand.

That their double is American made when it is only American altered.

We made no such claim. The OP of this topic did.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You going to display at SCI?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N

Good call . . . A Clark .30-30 Double Rifle is exactly what Jim used this past weekend to win the Stalking Rifle championship @ The Vintage Cup - 15th Annual Side by Side Event.

Photo's of the 30-30 SXS would be nice.. smile

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rangr44

from their web page:
Built on CZ Ringneck or Bobwhite Shotgun (depending upon chosen caliber).
Barrels custom manufactured from Douglas blank. - (470 barrels made from Pac-Nor blank.)

Sam......

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Im very surprised to hear "CZ" and "poor quality" in the same sentance

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting thread. Having gone through the double rifle research/buy process all I can say is the best of luck and if you can make it work, lots of people will be interested. A few observations; I don't care for the straight grip on a DR especially a BIG bore because of recoil issues. The sights look weird, but then again that's just a preference on my part. As far as shotgun actions, no issues there, LOTS of DR makers first used them, Merkel comes to mind. If these are Huglus, they make some nice stuff (their labor costs are low). A 400gr .405@ 2100 fps is WAY over spec so I'd be leery about that. Lastly, there is a reason as to why doubles are so darned expensive BUT if this new company can do it without sacrificing quality & reliability, I'd love to check one out.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
You going to display at SCI?

We'll be at SCI Dallas

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Originally Posted by Nrut

Photo's of the 30-30 SXS would be nice.. smile

I'll get some posted as soon as I can get them shot.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You mean DSC in Dallas. SCI is in Reno.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Originally Posted by jorgeI
A few observations; I don't care for the straight grip on a DR especially a BIG bore because of recoil issues.

We'll build with either style stock (English/Straight OR Pistol grip).
Originally Posted by jorgeI
As far as shotgun actions, no issues there, LOTS of DR makers first used them, Merkel comes to mind. If these are Huglus, they make some nice stuff (their labor costs are low).

Exactly right. Almost all double rifles are made using shotgun designed actions.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Originally Posted by UKdave

Im very surprised to hear "CZ" and "poor quality" in the same sentance

Me, too.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think a double in .348 Win. would be a useful caliber for North American game.

Also, for more velocity than the .30-40 and .30-30 gives, a wildcat based on the .348 necked down to .30 caliber might be usefull.

Originally Posted by 1234567
I think a double in .348 Win. would be a useful caliber for North American game.

Jim says he'll build it if you want it.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Renee,

Can you make a separate set of 30-30 barrels for my 28ga ringneck, and I get to keep the 28ga barrels? That way I could have a switch-barrel gun!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Renee,

Can you make a separate set of 30-30 barrels for my 28ga ringneck, and I get to keep the 28ga barrels? That way I could have a switch-barrel gun!

Now that is a super cool idea! Sets of barrels in say 20ga and 45Colt would have just about all hunting in Indiana covered with style!

Have to recant. Can't find any blanks.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Renee,

Absolutely!

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm a .303 Savage would be better than the british.

Well, any really .22 hi-power, .250, .300 or .303 savage

NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I Renee glad to see an US gunsmith making double rifles. I'm from Europe and i use some of the best one, be they modern over under or classic side by side. Nothing wrong using a CZ action and receiver they are rather strong, stronger than most of ergal made over under. I don't like your sight and english stock on a rifle but I like the old calibers you use for. And at 5 grands they are not too pricey for a custom on order made gun. If your regulation is as good as you claim you got a winner.
Good luck
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Speaking of regulation ...
[Linked Image]

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Did you see the Sabatti 9.3 X 74R at the East Hartford Cabelas?

The wood is spectacular in its figure. Almost too good?

The metal fit seems good and its only $2900 or so.

The wood looks something like this one.

Wood on Sabatti double rifle

True the pad is weak and "opto wood" is carved into the pistol grip.

These were real klunkers. They were rife with problems and poor regulation. The more expensive big bores were a bit better, however.

I like the Clark's looks and gun in general. I might be in trouble if they offer it in 9,3X74R on an appropriate frame. eek

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Also, for more velocity than the .30-40 and .30-30 gives, a wildcat based on the .348 necked down to .30 caliber might be usefull.

I have always maintained the 348 would be a great DR or drilling cartridge! You, sir, have Class! cool cool

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A .356 Winchester would be easier to find blanks for, I imagine. Pretty close in performance, if not in nostalgia.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M

Have to recant. Can't find any blanks.

Douglas and Pac Nor offer blank's in .348.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fun seeing this topic come back up. Those are nice groupings for a DR.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
I've been looking for a Double Rifle in .22 Hornet for years... I could keep the local ditch panther population under control in style. Very interesting...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
We can build the .22 Hornet DR on either the 20 or 28 ga.

Renee Autery
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very impressive shooting whether from a vice, bench or off hand. Certainly seems to be an excellent value of a quality product. I too am fond of English Bests, but they are vastly over priced and always have been. I am certain that a Purdy,H & H, W.R., Rigby, etal, is not going to shoot better than that; if it is the shooting that matters to one.

Speaking of regulation ...
[Linked Image]

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's kind of funny seeing this, I was at Marty's when he was taking some pictures of one early on. It was in 405 IIRC.

Very nice looking rigs in person.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.