Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just saw this article on drudge that the healthcare bill exempts Amish people from having to partake in the mandatory buying of healthcare insurance and the associated fines for not doing so?

So if we all convert to being Amish we can just bypass it?

Amish Exemption

Otto is my co-pilot.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Maybe,...but ya have to be able to build a barn without nails,...by yourself,..in 3 days,...while wearin' one 'nem funny hats.

Not too many people can make the grade.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You don't have to pay Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid taxes either.

You'll have to give up your computer, TV, drinking, and electricity though, and maybe shaving and bathing too. Not really sure I want to return to the 19th Century, although the government and the environmentalists seem to be driving us in that direction.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by mike762

You'll have to give up your computer, TV, drinking, and electricity though, and maybe shaving and bathing too. Not really sure I want to return to the 19th Century, although the government and the environmentalists seem to be driving us in that direction.

On the plus side,...their women haven't started shavin' their boogers into those wooley worm shapes.

Ya gotta take the bad with the good,...and I never *have* been able to get romantic about a wooley worm.

Then gen-X women have gotten just too damn creative with bic razors.

I hadda 'nuff playin' doctor back when I was 8 years old. I have no need to relive it as an adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Guns,......

Yup,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The Amish?,...no guns?

You better check again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
No Guns,......

Yup,

GTC

Nope,....?

Yup?

anyhoo,.....NO guns.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
No Guns,......

Yup,

GTC

Nope,....?

Yup?

anyhoo,.....NO guns.

GTC

http://amishamerica.typepad.com/amish_america/2007/11/the-amish-and-h.html

I remember while in the Arthur, Illinois settlement a few years ago being surprised to learn that the Amish do use guns for hunting. Since that time I've found that many Amish are avid hunters and I've had numerous conversations with them about the sport.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The Amish?,...no guns?

You better check again.

Yup, bettah go to the sportsman's shop in new holland, pa. Before hunting season the parking lot is full of horse drawn buggies.They might be pacifists but dey izz pacyfists dat is armed to da teef.

http://www.thesportsmansshop.com/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love it,...thanks for the wake up call.

Come to fink on it,...the Hutterites were that way , too.

Frolic with their Daughters, sell em' a gun,....split.

Mis-spent youth,....MMMmmmmm,

GTC

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I remember while in the Arthur, Illinois settlement a few years ago being surprised to learn that the Amish do use guns for hunting.

All of my insulated garage doors here on the property, house and outbuildings, came from Arthur, IL and are made by the Amish. They are incredibly good doors, and I'm pretty sure they have a few modern conveniences to produce them.
We also have a very large furniture store here, unfinished hand-made from the folks down in Arthur. Quality stuff. They are entreprenurial and hard-working, and I don't think they're playing with wooden mallets and pegs anymore. Maybe in some places in the country, but not down in Arthur.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best Wheelwrights left on the planet,

.....take that to the BANK.

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mike762

I was okay with alla that till I reread and got to the drinking part that I'd missed.

didn't sound much different than how I lived when I was guiding.

but even out there we had alcohol

a man has to know his limitations. I can give up a lot, but some things are sacred.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know any Amish people, but I've drank with Hutterites a few times, I used to work for a guy that sold them combines, lots of big new expensive combines that they paid cash for. And to facilitate selling them more we would go to their communities (In Montana and Canada), help them with the concaves, fans, and straw walkers, etc. and usually eat dinner with them mess hall style (Women and kids eat when the men are done) wink They had lots of good home made wine after excellent meals, and you really had to talk your way out of drinking too much of it with them.

I was wondering about Amish, not sure what all their religious differences amount to, and I just found this little jewel;

"Sheriff's deputies attack hard in the spring, when most big drinking parties start. On one night last year, they took into custody an entire busload of Amish teenagers after breaking up a party".

link

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Hutterite wine thing's eluding me,

most likely they've "Reformed" their scripture,.....

Haven't hung with a "Hoot" colony since the '70s, and that was north of the Medicine Line.

Fine folk, they were,...treated me like a King.

I Honestly don't remember them having any booze around.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's always a few of the younger ones (without beards) in the bars around Shelby, Chester, and Lethbridge, or at least there were back in the 80s?

I remember a few showing up at a house party in Shelby once too -- but they weren't old hands, kinda like greenhorns to the party world. Made me think of those "Wild and Crazy Guys" on Saturday Night Live, but with black pant's and suspenders! laugh

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think it'd be kinda like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh ,....HELL yeah

Ft. Mcleod was a little safer for the wild young'uns though, I'd reckon, they'd hang there with the Blood Bucks from Brocket.

Always funny to see one of those big crew cabs pull up, and an "Elder" go in and herd em' out,....what?

On a completely different wave legnth,......I've seldom flirted , or been inclined to flirt as what those totally dressed young "Hoot" gals would inspire one to do.

All pink cheeked ( hell that being all one could see),.....rosy,....no makeup,....dunno,...it just got ones young juices flowing. WAY more attractive than some D-bag biker hose bag in a tank top,....comin' on to you and good to go.

What was the name of that bar on the East side of the Town Square in Lethbridge,...back than ?

FWIW,...there actually WAS a way to catch up to those rosy cheeked little maidens, too.

I'd not speak much about that, now, though.

if'n you get my drift?

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 01/12/10.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I think it'd be kinda like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

Not on a Hutterite Colony.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bottom-lining it, no thanks. I've got a lot of them just north of me. Amish, Mennonite, German Baptist, Dunkers, what-have-you. The beards look itchy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.