-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got mine today!! I'll send photo's soon....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Terrific,and congrats.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For what it is worth mine sure seemed to like Federal Premium 180 Partitions but that is the only ammo I have tried in it too. I didn't measure but I would say the groups were 1 1/4 inch at 100 yards and that was the 3rd, 4th and 5th shot out of the rifle ever.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
160user,

One of the problems with the Ruger No. 1 is that the stock is actually designed for iron-sight rather than scope use. There's enough drop to the buttstock so that the rifle tends to come up in recoil more than with most modern bolt-actions, which tend to have straighter buttstocks.

Actually John, this is one of the few times I am going to disagree with you...

If you measure from the bore line, the comb on the Ruger number 1 rifles is actually every bit as high as any comparable bolt action which must allow clearance for the bolt throw at the rear.Actually, if you compared any Ruger no 1 stock side by side with any vintage of Ruger m77 centerfire rifle and lined them up along the bore line- you will find that the no 1 buttstocks are a bit higher combed than the m77s and have no more drop at the comb.

Also, if you look at Ruger no 1 iron sights they are mounted quite High actually. This is to compensate for the higher scope height comb - not the other way around.

When a Ruger has a scope mounted in a set of Low high rings, there is actually quite a bit of cheek support with the factory setup. The problem is that due to the interference between the front edge of the quarter rib and the objective bell, most No 1s wind up with scopes mounted higher than ideal.

There are four factors factors I truly think create more recoil for many who shoot No 1 rifles.

1)The section of the stock taking up the recoil, from the back of the action to the buttplate shorter and stiffer on the Ruger No 1 than on a magazine fed bolt rifle. The through bolt also stiffens the Ruger buttstock stocks. I think this is where most of the increased felt recoil in a No 1 comes from.When bolted down, the Ruger No1 buttstocks are incredibly rigid.

2) The straight combed classic style stocks on a Ruger do not fit some shooters well and can produce more felt recoil(John B- I bet Eileen will second that)

3) The Ruger factory pads have as much cushioning effect as a house brick. They are too hard.

4) The center of mass of the Ruger No 1 rifles- most of which have sporter weight barrels - is much further to the rear than on most rifles. While that gives the rifles a "lively" feel in the hand, it also creates more muzzle flip and upward torgue under recoil..

Add up all four of the above, and you have a rifle that pound for pound, caliber for caliber, has more felt recoil than most guns.

Last edited by jim62; 07/02/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys that's got them...What scope are you using?
I thinkin' Leupold 6x42....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just bought one at budsgunshop online on thursday. looking forward to taking delivery soon. Hope the wood is as good as I saw online.
sidepass

Last edited by sidepass; 07/03/10.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's my wood,I have some color cased rings and a gripcap I may add later,if it shoots.I hope my "new gun jinx" doesn't return,I like this gun....
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a Leupold FX-3 6X42 on mine, and am very pleased with it.

I shot the rifle at 300 yds, and the scope does all I need of it. And it looks good too. The rifle and scope seem to be well matched. If I were not so computer inept, I'd post pictures.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I put a Vari X III 3.5-10 on mine and it looks great.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went with a 6x-42 Leupold,it shoots well. I only put 11 rounds down range,with the last two groups of 3 shoot under 1". However my scope went a little coo-coo and quit adjusting properly. A little more recoil than expected, I was shooting Winchester 180gr Silvertips to reload the brass...I think it's going to work just fine!!

Last edited by rifle; 07/06/10.

Come on America,

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
rifle,

Looks like you have a shooter, congrats. And the wood is terrific.

Surprised the scope went south. But I would much prefer to fix a scope problem then a rifle problem, especially a #1, that does not shoot well.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a spare 6x42. I have been suspecting something was up with it anyway. Bought it off a gun show table?? Wonder why? I was going to have Leupold change the reticule anyway.

But, I'm happy with the way it shoots,I've had a run of bad luck with "new" guns this past year,, I hope it's ended!
Adjusted from the sighter,then gave it three downrange PDQ...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rifle; 07/07/10.

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
rifle,

Gotta love it. Looks like you have a shooter.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a little time today,got it out, swapped the bad scope and started cleaning the bore.I impressed with the smoothness and how clean it came out,maybe Ruger is getting everything together.For now,I'm using a 6x42,but I keep thinking about a 3.5-10X...maybe those thoughts will go away.It balances really well with the 6X...............rifle

Come on America,

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,216
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.