-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure, I've hunted with setters -- there's a guy locally that has some really nice Llewellyns (sp) that do real well. The guy that trains my dogs runs horse back trials with pointers. We have very good natured "discussons" over which breed is best. He even admitted once he wouldn't mind owning "knothead" above. I've even hunted with great enjoyment over a pointing lab.

The dog makes the difference, not the breed. I don't see much difference in the breeds and their hunting. The distinctions are mostly in their personalities. What I like most about these dogs is that they DON'T hunt mechanically. They have a LOT of brain that comes to play, which, I think, gives them the ability to adjust to diffent hunting circumstances. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son has big hopes and dreams for this little guy!
Cat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For my generalist hunting style, nothing beats a lab. No hair to get burrs. Big enough to swim fairly big water and retrieve geese and swans. Easy to tell when getting birdy. I like pointers for chuckar and quail, but when the brush is higher than your head a flushing dog rules. What good is a pointer when you can't see the bird after you have to get into the thick stuff to flush it out? This guy is one of the best I have seen yet and he is only 2 years old.
[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
[Linked Image]

old pic of wirehair when she was 1 yr old...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It is hard to beat a Boykin boys! They are great dove, duck, mountain grouse dogs and they quickly become part of the family. We are all lucky to have so many great options!

IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great thread and great pictures!

I am only certain of my identification of fairly common breeds, however. Of course the breeds (or at least what is officially recognized as one) differ between Europe and North America too.

Could folks put the name of the breed with the photo so I can improve my knowledge? (Oh, and not just the initials either! smile

John

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
jpb Here's a description of my dogs

Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters

[Linked Image]

English Setter

[Linked Image]

"English" Pointer. The "English" is in quotations because these dogs are properly identified as only "Pointer". In order to avoid confusion, some folks started to use the "English" prefix even though it is a misnomer. All other pointing dogs have designations such as German Shorthair Pointer.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 02/06/10.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

[Linked Image]

American Tree Feist. This is not an AKC or FDSB recognized breed, but it is recognized by squirrel hunters as a breed.

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 02/06/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend who was an upland bird dog trainer recommended a GWP, so I listened for my first bird dog to get a hard hunter that has a pleasing disposition and is friendly around children. Great in the house and field for me. But the cockleburrs and those nasty velcro tubules in mearns country firmly attach to her 'stache, beard and brow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doug~RR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
For my generalist hunting style, nothing beats a lab. No hair to get burrs. Big enough to swim fairly big water and retrieve geese and swans. Easy to tell when getting birdy. I like pointers for chuckar and quail, but when the brush is higher than your head a flushing dog rules. What good is a pointer when you can't see the bird after you have to get into the thick stuff to flush it out? This guy is one of the best I have seen yet and he is only 2 years old.
[Linked Image]

I agree with you. Hard to beat a lab. My little lady is hardcore! Best marking dog I have seen. She is all business!

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb
Great thread and great pictures!

I am only certain of my identification of fairly common breeds, however. Of course the breeds (or at least what is officially recognized as one) differ between Europe and North America too.

Could folks put the name of the breed with the photo so I can improve my knowledge? (Oh, and not just the initials either! smile

John

German Shorthair Pointer(GSP), here Jake is with his partner in crime, Bear a schipperke kind of a spitz version of a terrier and herding dog rolled into one from Belgium.......Jake is smart but nothing compared to Bear....

[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think this picture says it all!

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Blue Tick from a coon fight?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My fav

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

second fav

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rosco1; 02/07/10.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
here's mine

Attached Images
IMG_0295.JPG (29.25 KB, 153 downloads)
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
how do ya post a pic with out makeing it an attachment

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Blue Tick from a coon fight?

He's a blue tick beagle, and that's all his blood from the weeds and brush tearing him up (primarily the cuts in his ears).

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Even better. I used to have "English" beagles. Best all around dog ever as far as I'm concerned.

I have seen coon hounds get into tree fights. Pretty vicious stuff. If they can't get to the coon they attack any other dog that they think will get there before them.

And, if anyone asks, I've probably hunted every game animal possible other than cougar and leopard with a dog.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good day, learning the ropes.

[Linked Image]

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Heres my golden Sage with two grouse at camp.
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Heres one with her aunt Tessie.
[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

And heres one with her big sister. We decide to take sassy my rott to see what all the fun was about. Sage showed her these two roosters. [img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Nothing like a fine shotgun and a good bird dog.
Franchi Veloce O/U, 7Rm and Orvis rod.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.