here is my buddy's Griffon after a long day of bird hunting

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Andrew
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Stellar pics, people.

Still going with the Yella, apparently there�s even literature about them. H-bomb from last Saturday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

caint make cake outta [bleep]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
For my generalist hunting style, nothing beats a lab. No hair to get burrs. Big enough to swim fairly big water and retrieve geese and swans. Easy to tell when getting birdy. I like pointers for chuckar and quail, but when the brush is higher than your head a flushing dog rules. What good is a pointer when you can't see the bird after you have to get into the thick stuff to flush it out? This guy is one of the best I have seen yet and he is only 2 years old.
[Linked Image]

I grew up with labs, this one in particular was a great dog!
[Linked Image]
This one is the companion of one of my good friends, and a great dog in the tall stuff ( we were hunting in 6'weeds that day)
[Linked Image]
However, after working with a bunch of pointers, my son decided he wanted a GSP.
In the tall stuff , the key is to get a dog that will work a bit closer than the big ranging trial dogs.
A bell helps as well.
I'm still not convinced completely myself ( I was hoping he'd get a lab), but the waterfowl hunting my son does is in fields, not on the water in the cold weather we get up here in Canada
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Labs are cool and the cover obviously is also. Looks like the promised land.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just noticed this thread on "Best Hunting Dogs" and had to chuckle to myself. I have spent many years around hunting dogs and was blessed to have some good ones along the way. With this said, I have always noticed most folks "Best Hunting Dog" is always after it has died.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ingwedog is still alive, though getting too old to hunt now...... frown

The deal with her is that I fortunately realized she was the "one" when she was barely a year old....

Ingwe

Last edited by ingwe; 03/14/10.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Pastor,

That my friend is a gorgeous yellow! Nice and fit, not fat like labs like to get. He is a handsome boy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pass the popcorn. Brandy is resting through this!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Just noticed this thread on "Best Hunting Dogs" and had to chuckle to myself. I have spent many years around hunting dogs and was blessed to have some good ones along the way. With this said, I have always noticed most folks "Best Hunting Dog" is always after it has died.
Well, not ALWAYS!LOL
Allie ( the lab in the pic with me) is still very much alive and well, as is this scalliwag , Tramp the Griffon (aka the village idiot)!he's a great dog and will go all day on wild birds.
Great pal to Hornhead....
[Linked Image]
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ThankYa. His pics been posted more than a FEW times(yawn...).

Got a couch one also, from New Years day.

[Linked Image]

caint make cake outta [bleep]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northcountry
HuntKY your WPG looks to my eye much like a (GWP) German Wirehair Pointer as far as color and size. The GWP seem more slighly built than the than German Short hair Pointer. Is it true that you WPG is similar to the German Wirehair as far as size and coloration? Disposition they could be miles a part I don't know.
Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

Northcoutry...we have her hair cut in Aug every year when it get hot here. It also helps with burrs/briars etc. while in the field hunting. 80% is I am tired of combing the burrs out of her hair, 20% is relief from the heat for her. Her hair is normally 3" long and she doesn't shed.

She weighs exactly 48lbs. I have seen different Griffs from different bloodlines and they can have a broad range of looks. Belle's mother was s 100% French import, so she has longer, more curly hair and smaller frame, indicitive of the French bloodlines. I have never owned a GWP, but it seems the GWP have longer legs and longer bodies (nose to tail) too.

There are lots of similarities in looks between the WPG, GWP and Drahthaar. We were very close to getting a Drahthaar.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Great dogs,ya'll! Sure makes me wish I had pictures of my 'ol coondogs from years gone by. There's a special bond with dogs you hunt with.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
This one - becuz he is mine.LOL
107#'s worth of Yella.

Attached Images
Tazer.jpg (34.53 KB, 130 downloads)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Vizsla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is my first lab Belle. Got her out of Louisiana.
[Linked Image]
She passed away this last december and it was hard. She would have been 13 years old this month. She retrieved my first duck i ever shot as well as my first and only duck this season. I still miss her every day but i know she is up above retrieving ducks for my uncle who passed away when i was 4. But I got this little ball of fire last July. His name is Jaeger and he will be a year old the first week of may.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Smartest dog i have ever seen. Learned "sit" in literally 10 mins as well shake. He even knows how to shake with his left or right paw when told which one to use. Every time i give him a treat, he about gives me a black eye trying to shake! He retrieved his first duck when he was 4 months old! Still have alot of work to do with him this summer but he is going to be a great dog! Ill try to get some better pictures of him tomorrow when we go exploring in the mountains!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Sorry for your loss - buddy of mine is going through that right now as we speak.I hate to be him.My Yella is only 5 .I told him the first thing he needs to do is go get a pup.Thats a nice one you have there.Good looking pup.

Last edited by Rodngun; 03/19/10.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Deertracker - thats a pretty good jump from Louisiana to Montana - do you mind me asking how much you paid for the yella..I'm not that far from Louisiana - just curious ??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont know how much the one from Louisiana was. My godfather got her for me for my 10th birthday and brought her up when he came to visit us. He lives in Sulphur, LA. I paid $300 for Jaeger but i talked the seller down from $350. Probably could have got him for less since he was the last one and they were about to leave for a week on a trip. Oh well. I was really glad i had him when Belle passed away. He could tell i was upset and he crawled up on the couch with me and licked a few tears away. Sure made the process easier with him to keep me occupied.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thats good to hear - 350.00 for a lab with papers is unheard of where I am at.Lot of good bloodlines come out of LA - thats why I was curious what you paid,Keep in touch on his progress.I train them on the side- not professionally - but just for hunting dogs.if you want you can see my latest and greatest on at 107 lbs..I kid you not - the vet say he needs to lose weight -I say he looks good and runs good just like he is. Feel to see him at my personal website -

http://mysite.verizon.net/respvhvl

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,311
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.