Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Hi:

I've got a Colt AR15 Match Target Competition rifle MT6700 that's never been fired and I can't sell it. People seem to only want the 16" barrel LE models or specially-built long range target rifles.

So the question is: can I have the barrel of my Colt cut to 16", put on a forend with a popup front sight and bristling with mounting points for lasers, flashlights, etc, and slap on an adjustable buttstock to make this a sellable rifle?

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
Czech

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess the question is why? If it's priced right it will sell.
If you want to lower the value, then by all means, make the changes you asked about.
Right now the AR market is slow and has been for several month's as far as selling.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by czech1022

So the question is: can I have the barrel of my Colt cut to 16", put on a forend with a popup front sight and bristling with mounting points for lasers, flashlights, etc, and slap on an adjustable buttstock to make this a sellable rifle?

Czech

Not sure what you've priced it at, but that is not a particularly desirable model at present. As for your suggested modifications in order to sell it, cutting a heavy under the handguards 1/9 barrel to 16" isn't particularly a sought after config. You've got a niche rifle on your hands, in today's market, and I suspect that based upon current trends, you'll likely take a loss on it if you're pressed to sell. Modifying it to try to "look" the part will certainly lower the value even more. Better off to price it according to what it is and wait for a buyer who wants it in it's current config.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Bad idea. If I were you, I'd either swap the HBAR barrel out with whatever you think the market is looking for or, better still, just get another upper in the config you are looking for. Try swapping the HBAR upper at a gun show for one you like...it would be easy at a Houston show...and then you have a zero sum game w/o having to put new money into something you are trying to get rid of anyway. If you do end up with either tne solo HBAR barrel or the complete HBAR upper, it should be easier to peddle at a show or on line.

Good luck, Pecos

Pull the trigger......
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dumping money into a MT in order to sell it is a bad idea.

The barrel cut down to 16" would not work properly with the rifle length gas system and it's still not chrome lined. However, many of those were very accurate, so the varmint crowd might be interested if this proves to be true.

You could install a float tube or rail but you could also just lower the price that amount.

The adjustable butt stock, if not Colt or at least MIL spec sized, would decrease the value and make it less desireable.

The rifle is what it is and will sell for the right amount.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It makes a great varmint or deer rifle as it is. Yeah, its a tad heavy, but dang its accurate. smile

Another suggestion is to buy an inexpensive M4 style upper, and mate that to the Colt lower. You can always sell the HBAR upper separately.

Sam......

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How much are you asking on it Czech?
A friend of mine is in the market for a 20" flat top. If your asking meats his price point, he may be interested.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
$1150 plus shipping...or a trade.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That price seems reasonable. I bought one last year for more, due to the Obama pricing frenzy. Then I sent it to ADCO and had the barrel threaded at the muzzle for a flash suppressor. I also had the heavy part of the barrel under the hand guards turned down to about .750 inch diameter and reparkerized. In the past the MT 6700s did not have chrome-lined barrels, but that has changed as this one has a chrome-lined bore. Even with the 1/9 twist it shoots Hornady 75s pretty good.

If you like AR15s, keep in mind that the rifle length gas system is more reliable than the carbines that everybody loves. There is less pressure in the 20 inch system and less violence in the cycling, plus you get a gain in velocity for the same ammunition.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's part of the problem, you can buy a new 6920 for $1200

Those guns sold new for $900

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by czech1022
$1150 plus shipping...or a trade.

What might you be looking for in trade? He may have something on hand.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Maybe a savage 99 in 308?Just saying

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FYI, almost all Colt rifles right now wholesale at 1000 bucks give or take brand new.

TWR has a good point there on price.

I feel there are going to be a fair amount of folks that dumped way too much money into them prior to the election and shortly after, that may want to get rid of them and they won't get near what was paid.

I"ve talked to a couple of manufacturers that say they have THOUSANDS of lowers sitting on shelves ready to go.... there is a glut in that market right now for sure.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Hmmmmmm...

OK, then, perhaps a trade for like value?

I'm looking for a high quality blackpowder rifle, 30-06, 7mm-08 or 25-06 bolt action rifles, 20 gauge pump shotguns (Rem 870 or Ithaca M37 are best), Glock model 17 or 19, 45 auto pistols, Leica rangefinder, Leupold 4-12 or 4-14 scope. Actually, I'm interested in most guns, so if there's anything else you want to get rid of, shoot me a PM and we'll talk!

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
And hey, everyone, I'm grateful for the honest opinions expressed here, even if it's not particularly good news.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
You could try my system for dealing with guns I decided I didn't really want after I bought them: stick it in the back of the gun safe and forget about it. Sooner or later you'll get it out and find you like it, or find you need it, or at least find something to do with it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
T

T
T
This is the post I was looking at.

T
T

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yours must look somewhat like this Colt HBAR. I would not sell mine for $1,200. Great gun, very accurate and well made.
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.