Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
JG,

You keeping up with the young lady who posted her African trophies on Facebook? She's now getting death threats from the uninformed P.C. world, ignorant of the benefit to wildlife from game management/harvesting and generated revenue supporting the whole program.

And, these people breed, reproduce and for sure will vote for Hillary... shocked

All emotion, no logic...

DF

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I do not have FB, but have read about that. I did not associate that young lady with our own BMD's daughter. You're saying they are the same young lady? That's terrible.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Ben_Gates
I have a nilgai hunt booked on the King Ranch in March. What gun should I take: .270, 7mm Rem Mag, .338 win mag or .375 H&H?

I'd take the 375 H&H loaded with 270 gr TSX's at 2750 fps, it would be good practice in case you ever want to go to Africa and shoot some more really large antelope, plains game species. smile

I'd probably try the 250 TTSX, have both bullets and both kill stuff.

I don't even have a .223 AI... grin

Mudhen,

Some of those Texican guides do insist on .300 Win Mag or above, sniff at light ordinance.

You start off on the wrong foot telling your guide you know better, even if you really do. Especially if you really do...

Them boys got it figured in their minds and don't like to be told or suggested otherwise...

DF

Bet the 250 TTSX's would be just fine too DF, thou must redeemith thyself at the "Alter of The Poohbah" for a fast twist 223 AI. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a nilgai hunt booked on the King Ranch in March. What gun should I take: .270, 7mm Rem Mag, .338 win mag or .375 H&H?

I'd take the 375 H&H loaded with 270 gr TSX's at 2750 fps, it would be good practice in case you ever want to go to Africa and shoot some more really large antelope, plains game species. smile

I'd probably try the 250 TTSX, have both bullets and both kill stuff.

I don't even have a .223 AI... grin

Mudhen,

Some of those Texican guides do insist on .300 Win Mag or above, sniff at light ordinance.

You start off on the wrong foot telling your guide you know better, even if you really do. Especially if you really do...

Them boys got it figured in their minds and don't like to be told or suggested otherwise...

DF

Bet the 250 TTSX's would be just fine too DF, thou must redeemith thyself at the "Alter of The Poohbah" for a fast twist 223 AI. grin

Fast twist .22-204 and .22-250 will have to do.

Almost had the Poobs looking at the .22-204, sniffing and scratching the leaves; he even made some complementary comments. But, I'm thinking he probably reverted back to his comfort zone... cool

When the Poobs is convinced of something, it's not an easy task to convince him otherwise, even if it makes sense... blush

Especially if it makes sense... grin

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 and yes, must be like walking up and trying to push a mountain aside. shocked ;]

Trump Won!
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I do not have FB, but have read about that. I did not associate that young lady with our own BMD's daughter. You're saying they are the same young lady? That's terrible.

Not sure if they're the same person, but similar situation.

Agreed, it sux...

People can be so ostentatiously stupid...

Ignornace, you can educate...

Stupid, not much up side...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Speaking of 375's, I've been having fun filing my new single blade express rear sight in on my Rube Goldberg 375 AI, the 300 gr BBW#13 solids are dead on zero at an easy 2750 fps, the 270 gr TSX's at 3000 fps are striking dead on 3" high at 100 through the 2.5-8 Leupold in QD Talleys.

That combo would work well anytime, anywhere, and on any animal. wink

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, sounds like you got it tweaked for optimal performance.

You're right, that rig would do just about anything you needed done, just about anywhere on the planet... cool

What's not to like... smile

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Not bad for a parts gun DF.

The action is from a Winchester Laredo in 7STW I bought around 1993, then proceeded to quickly torch the throat, unscrewed the barrel and set the action in a drawer for 10+ years.

Bought a classic stainless 375 H&H barrel in the classifieds.

Bought a nice walnut stock online too.

Then found some really nice stainless bottom metal from a guy in Louisiana. grin

Got a barrel band off at the 'smiths right now waiting on a matte blue job.

I will be a descent old Rube rifle when finished, I just can't stand to see all these parts and pieces lying about, gotta put em together so they'll go boom again ;]

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I still think a 45-70 with a 480 grain cast flatnosed bullet at 1250 fps will do a nilgai up right. It will damn sure knock a zebra out of its sneakers. Bison, too.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 08/23/16.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I still think a 45-70 with a 480 grain cast flatnosed bullet at 1250 fps will do a nilgai up right. It will damn sure knock a zebra out of its sneakers. Bison, too.

Damn right, or a 520 gr Gov bullet or 530 gr paper patch, the nilgai would catch neither of the three.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I still think a 45-70 with a 480 grain cast flatnosed bullet at 1250 fps will do a nilgai up right.

Haven't tried any of my 545 grain slugs on anything yet, but I bet they'd work just fine too.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If I were you, I would take the 338 or the 375. They are overkill on everything else (except maybe an irate feral hog) in Texas, and the Nilgai is truly worthy of such calibers.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not bad for a parts gun DF.

The action is from a Winchester Laredo in 7STW I bought around 1993, then proceeded to quickly torch the throat, unscrewed the barrel and set the action in a drawer for 10+ years.

Bought a classic stainless 375 H&H barrel in the classifieds.

Bought a nice walnut stock online too.

Then found some really nice stainless bottom metal from a guy in Louisiana. grin

Got a barrel band off at the 'smiths right now waiting on a matte blue job.

I will be a descent old Rube rifle when finished, I just can't stand to see all these parts and pieces lying about, gotta put em together so they'll go boom again ;]

Yeah, those parts are crying out to become a complete gun...

Sorta reminds me of those dry bone in Ezekiel 37 suddenly rattling, coming together, bone to bone, sinews and flesh, then skin... grin

If you hear those parts rattling around, watch out...

Yeah, I remember that SS M-70 bottom metal. The Legend stock I got for the .404J M-70 build was inletted for one piece bottom metal, so I got Williams bottom metal, sold you the factory OEM set.

That sounds like the makings of a nice gun.

If that's a SS NH Express bbl, it's 24" and pretty heavy. I cut mine to 21", added NECG irons. Much better. I recently sent it to Karl for barrel flutes, hoping to lose another 8 oz or so.

You may want to consider that when you get it fitted to the action.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL on the script, I saw pics of your bobbed 375, that looks fine to me on a stainless syn stocked rifle, and I'm sure it handles much better, Cutting this one with a walnut stock, especially mine at a 14.25" lop may not look exactly right.

Ah but alas, seems were both equally afflicted with the bug, don't see it ever changing either Buddy. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
LOL on the script, I saw pics of your bobbed 375, that looks fine to me on a stainless syn stocked rifle, and I'm sure it handles much better, Cutting this one with a walnut stock, especially mine at a 14.25" lop may not look exactly right.

Ah but alas, seems were both equally afflicted with the bug, don't see it ever changing either Buddy. smile

Hope not... laugh

I see where you're headed, and one like that bobbed off may not look that great.

The Tupperware handle is lighter than walnut and this configuration works out pretty well.

A big Hoss like you can pack a big rifle... cool

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if it'll ever happen or not, but a Blue Bull is on my wish list. If I were going tomorrow, I'd being carrying either .358 Norma, .358 STA, 9.3x64 or .376 Steyr.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Over the years I have killed and seen killed more than my share of Nilgai,they can be tough, but they are not bullet proof.they kind of remind me of a Gemsbok, except the Nilgai Bulls are bigger,they both have the same kind of fatty shield and black rubber skin.

We have never told our hunters what rifle to bring, it doesn't take a cannon to kill Nilgai, but using a good well placed bullet sure helps. We also don.t chase them with a pickup. that ain't huntin that's shootin. they do eat good. Rio7

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Hope not... laugh

I see where you're headed, and one like that bobbed off may not look that great.

The Tupperware handle is lighter than walnut and this configuration works out pretty well.

A big Hoss like you can pack a big rifle... cool

DF

I'll send ya some pics when it's finished.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Im gonna try these this year. Just on a whim. wink

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 204guy, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,399
Posts18,470,113
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.