Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
OP Offline
B
I have a nilgai hunt booked on the King Ranch in March. What gun should I take: .270, 7mm Rem Mag, .338 win mag or .375 H&H?

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Any of those guns would work, although some places will not allow below 300 win mag. A 338 win mag is perfect if you can shoot it well, although a 375 H&H would not be overkill for an adult bull.

EDIT: Although I've seen it done, I would not really suggest the 270.

Last edited by T3hk1w1; 02/02/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever you can shoot the best. We "harvested" a number of them with everything from a .243 up to .338 Win Mags. With good bullets and proper placement, they will die. They are not bullet proof. They do have a stout dermal shield over their shoulders and neck (I have skinned them out with over 1/2" thickness of connective tissue), so shoulder shots should be taken with a stout bullet that will penetrate the hide. Anything like a Nosler Partition "or better" will do fine. Any of the cartridges that you listed will do fine with a premium bullet.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did a hunt on the King (Norias Pasture) several years back and if you get into the bay front sand dunes a longer shot is a real possibility and although 338 WM is not my favorite caliber it should be perfect if matched with a stout 225 gr bullet and you can shoot it accurately of course.

A great experience as you will see a lot of game and many huge witetail if you are hunting before the antlers fall.

You will have a great time.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Whatever you use, save every ounce of meat you can..it is unique in flavor and absolutely excellent..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nilgai are the reason I quit using partitions and went to Barnes bullets. Had some bad issues with required penetration on iffy shots from 180s out of a 300 wtby. Switch to Barnes and a 180 goes through stem to stern...

My ideal would be the 338 win mag running 210 or 225 ttsx bullets. 375 is NOT overkill.

That being said given the chance to punch the lungs on a relaxed animal I've seen a 308 and 270 dump quite a few.

Meat wise I'd save every ounce also. Coudl that I could afford them I'd shoot a cow every year. But beware we've had some bitter meat if shot after the Juisache greens out for some reason. Go prior to that and its some of the best meat you've ever had.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Good Luck Ben!!!!! I leave next Friday morning for a hunt on a good friend's family ranch where the creatures are known to frequent! Will be using my 9.3 x 57, and will probably take my old trusty commercial Mauser 30-06 for "just in case". Kinda be nice if it would ease up just a bit on the raining, lest we hunt from canoes! I'll try to post pics if successful...

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to the Fire Ben!

And while I've not shot any nilgai I have worked over some elk. And any of the rounds you mentioned will do just fine for elk, so I gotta think that any of the rounds will do just fine for nilgai..

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have done some nilgai hunting, usually with large groups of other hunters, so have gotten some data on what works and what doesn't.

One group was about a dozen people who went to the King Ranch several years ago to test the then-new .270 WSM with 140-grain Fail Safe bullets. The guides were NOT enthusiastic about this, since Winchester had also taken some people there a couple of years before to test the .300 WSM (though not entirely with Fail Safe bullets) and the results had been erratic.

By the end of the .270 WSM hunt the guides all agreed opinion that it was one of the best nilgai cartridges ever.
This was based on 24 nilgai being taken, both bulls and cows.

From my experience (not just that hunt) the bullet makes a much bigger difference in nilgai hunting than the cartridge--just as it does when hunting any other fairly large non-dangerous game. The 140 Fail Safes penetrated plenty, so did the job when placed right.

One of the other conclusions the guides came to was that the batch of hunters on the .270 WSM hunt were better shots overall than the hunters on the .300 WSM hunt. That makes a difference too.

I've also decided that one of the reasons nilgai got the reputation of being so hard to kill is that so many are chased around in pickup trucks and shot at long range on the run. A lot of animals are tough to kill when they get shot in the guts and legs. And yes, I have been on one of those so-called nilgai hunts too, and the outfitter not only encouraged those kinds of shots but the way his guides hunted virtually guaranteed them.

In fact most of his guides didn't think it's possible to stalk or still-hunt nilgai--which is BS, because it's done a lot on the King Ranch. Both of the nilgai I took on that hunt (a bull and cow) were still-hunted, and shot at ranges of 75 and 200 yards.

Another reason nilgai often seem tough is the same reason elk seem tough: People have heard they're tough, so they bring big rifles, which often turn out to be rifles they don't shoot very well.

So I agree with Mark, even though he's never hunted nilgai. Take any decent medium-game round with GOOD bullets, and the job will be done neatly if the shooter does his job.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I will let you all know how it turns out.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why don't you invite us all for a bbq and tell us then.. whistle

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I thank you all for the advice as well!!!!! Thanks again JB, you've helped me again!!! I will be happy just to see one of the animals. And I would be just as happy with a cow as I would a bull. This is a "get the He** out to the woods" weekend for several of us who need it. I'm not shelling out big $$$$ for this as it's an invite hunt, (with the opportunity for future invtes as well). So I don't really have the investment in it that others folks have. But an animal would be nice.

Bob

Founder

WS

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I had the opportunity to hunt with a friend that leases the Kennedy ranch that is not part of the trust. Took both a 7-08 and 308 using 140gr and 165gr accubonds. Used the 7-08 on a Nilgai bull and the bullet was retreived in the offside hide. Lung shot, he went 30 yards and died.
My brother shot another bull with his 7 mag after we spotted and stalked him and dropped him with a neck shot.
Keep all the meat you can, its good stuff.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My deal, is that with 180 partitions in a 300 wtby at just over 3100 FPS IIRC, a rib cage shot was stopped by the hide on the offside, range appx 125 steps or so... thats a bit scary to me. Bull died though.

I"ve seen 7 Rem Mags stopped to...... I"ve actually never seen a bad shot on a nilgai but would suspect that could be interesting.

OF course above all bullet placement counts the most, but the 338 win mags are easy to shoot, and there isn't anything like overkill IMHO.

That being said I"ve been taking a BIG toll on wild cats and coons at our place recently.... all with a Rem single shot 22 and those 22 rounds that have a primer only for power.... shot placement.... none have walked away including a fair size coon this morning..

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Nilgai and .338 Win Mag go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
What do the Guides at the King Ranch recommend you bring? Just remember bigger is only better if your comfortable shooting it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I have only hunted Nilgai twice, I shot both of mine with a 338 Winchester and 250 gr Nosler Partitions. While on those two hunts I saw several taken. One was with a 375 H+H another with a 30-06 and well 338. These days, your main problem is getting a good shot, they tend to chase them a lot with trucks and such. I shot both of mine on walks after lunch. One next to an water hole was very memorable.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
gmsemel, they chased them with trucks? Sounds more like a rodeo or that old John Wayne movie set in Africa where he chased all kinds of stuff around with trucks trying to capture them.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yup, a guide in the driver's seat, hunter in the passenger seat is how we did it. When you see the nilgai, either stop and take the shot, or if it's running try to cut around it or get close enough for a shot. You have to stop the truck for the shot though.
Ideally you stop the truck and shoot before it sees you, but that doesn't happen real often.
And yes, it is an absolute blast.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yep, we chased them with high rack trucks on the Kennedy ramch. When you saw them they were usually running. The shot I got we had cover that concealed the truck and the bull stood broadside for a shot at 150 yards. Most of the guys were shooting the 300wsm. My brother had his 7 mag..
I had the least power with my 7-08 and 308. After watching these calibers perform on elk when I lived in Colorado I felt they would be fine. It worked out great and very tasty meat.
My brother killed his bull after we spotted them running and got off the truck and stalked them. I think when we do this again we will spot and stalk only. We were rattling most of the time for whitetails and several times we had Nilgai in range. A fun trip all in all.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I was out this weekend in Kennedy county, still hunting the beasts. Spotted 15 and they all came withing 100-150 yds from me on Saturday morning. Wind was good and in my favor. Problem was they were all just across the fence on the neighbor's place. I was watching a clearing where they had been frequenting as of late. Unfortunately they didn't show in our pasture. I had 5 big bulls in my scope at the same time. But the good news is I can go back again and again until I get one! Maybe again in April... I felt very confident in my 9.3 x 57 had I gotten a shot.

BN

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One of my friends moved down to Brownsville in 2001 and has taken a few nilgai. The first one was with his 7mm-08. I think it took 3 shots before the bull was dead and they had to chase it around a bit. Not sure what bullets he was using. Then he switched to a 35 Whelen with Federal 225 gr TBBC loads. 2 others since then have been one shot kills.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by super T
gmsemel, they chased them with trucks? Sounds more like a rodeo or that old John Wayne movie set in Africa where he chased all kinds of stuff around with trucks trying to capture them.

Hatari !!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
S
Have shot more Nigam or blue bull than most. Well over . . . . Which amounts to 35 years of weekly hunting for the pot.
Not one have I shot in Texas ! Our blue bulls are much larger and the largest I have weighed has been a little over 1000 lbs with horns over 11 inches ; almost or perhaps a record.
The problem with Nilgai is that they are tough and can run nearly 100 yards with a smashed heart. Hit the shoulder aorta and spine and they fall instantly all be it not quite dead. I the real world animals move and bullet placement may go awry. The best rifle is one which is forgiving, has excellent penetration, deviates minimally in thick brush and packs a punch.
I have taken Bos elaphus tragocamelus with 22lr on several occasions but this does not mean that it is suitable for nilgai. The 275 rigby is as good as the 30-06, the 7mm rem mag and 300win mag are good, yet not good enough. The 338 win is I am sorry to say a useless cartridge which exists because the extremely efficient 350 Rigby remained a propriety and thus expensive round. Indeed the 350 rigby would have been the ideal cartridge for Nilgai.
The 9.3x64 Brenneke is a typical theoretical German cartridge. It offers similar ballistics as the 375h&h but is extremely uncomfortable to use, indeed more so than the 458 win mag , 416 rigby, 425 westley Richards 465 India h&h etc. The 9.3x62 lacks penetration and should not be used on nil gain or on dangerous game. I am aware of its reputation in South Africa where it was popular because it was cheap.
I have removed 30-06 bullets from nil gain shot from the rear, which have penetrated upto the kidney region; the wound had healed completely and the animal was in good health !
The 8x68 is again a theoretical invention with little practical use.
Apart from the 350 Rigby the only really practical round is its nemesis, the 375h&h mag. There is no angle from which the 375 holland will not completely penetrate and devastate nilgai. A liver shot with a 30-06 will hardly stop this animal whereas the same shot with a 375 will stop him within 50 yards , if not 20 yards. If you must use a 300 win mag , avoid shooting at running nilgai, for if you should hit him a hands' breadth behind he will take you for a long search.
Rifles heavier than the 375 h&h lack accuracy at longer ranges and hence sere no useful purpose on nilgai. I have taken blues from 3 yards up to 400 yards with express sights. The cheapest federal bullets will do the job although the RWS ammunition is better.
Any medium rifle will do the job but here the h&h does it better and with little fuss. Forget your American calibres, blue Bulls were vermin big game of the British empire and the empire knew how to deal with them.
I apologize for the long reply, I could go on for an eternity on shooting blues for the pot. As you perhaps know , nilgai were not fair game where pig sticking was concerned unlike axis porcinus and leopards.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
WTF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A friend I was with killed on that was 11.5 inches... so much for TX bulls being small...

I do agree that larger rounds make a bit more sense

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Duly noted! Will bring this up at durbar before next hunt. I know several in the party that will appreciate your comments and expertise! Perhaps they will benefit and experience a sucessful hunt

Until then, I remain,

Votre humbler et tres' obeissant serviteur!

Kaywoodie

Founder

WS

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

I don't think Subedai was talking only about horn length, but I have talked to biologists in Texas who've weighed a number of bulls of 900+ pounds, with a few around 1000.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Probably so, the 11.5 inch one, was not light in weight at all compared to the others we killed. But alas no scale.

I'd have thought 850-900 or so.. Others thought more.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Take a 45-70. Load it with a hard cast 480 to 500 grain flat nosed bullet and drive it at 1250 fps. You will shoot all the way through any nilgai that walks at any angle, and won't have any trouble.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Subedai
Have shot more Nigam or blue bull than most. Well over . . . . Which amounts to 35 years of weekly hunting for the pot.

I have taken Bos elaphus tragocamelus with 22lr on several occasions but this does not mean that it is suitable for nilgai. The 275 rigby is as good as the 30-06, the 7mm rem mag and 300win mag are good, yet not good enough.

The 338 win is I am sorry to say a useless cartridge which exists because the extremely efficient 350 Rigby remained a propriety and thus expensive round. Indeed the 350 rigby would have been the ideal cartridge for Nilgai.

The 9.3x64 Brenneke is a typical theoretical German cartridge. It offers similar ballistics as the 375h&h but is extremely uncomfortable to use, indeed more so than the 458 win mag , 416 rigby, 425 westley Richards 465 India h&h etc.

The 9.3x62 lacks penetration and should not be used on nil gain or on dangerous game. I am aware of its reputation in South Africa where it was popular because it was cheap.

I have removed 30-06 bullets from nil gain shot from the rear, which have penetrated upto the kidney region; the wound had healed completely and the animal was in good health !
The 8x68 is again a theoretical invention with little practical use.

Apart from the 350 Rigby the only really practical round is its nemesis, the 375h&h mag. There is no angle from which the 375 holland will not completely penetrate and devastate nilgai.

A liver shot with a 30-06 will hardly stop this animal whereas the same shot with a 375 will stop him within 50 yards , if not 20 yards. If you must use a 300 win mag , avoid shooting at running nilgai, for if you should hit him a hands' breadth behind he will take you for a long search.
Rifles heavier than the 375 h&h lack accuracy at longer ranges and hence sere no useful purpose on nilgai.

I have taken blues from 3 yards up to 400 yards with express sights. The cheapest federal bullets will do the job although the RWS ammunition is better.

Any medium rifle will do the job but here the h&h does it better and with little fuss.

Forget your American calibres, blue Bulls were vermin big game of the British empire and the empire knew how to deal with them.

Well we are all a product of our own experiance. Who knows what happend to you. Good grief.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently a victim of bad bullets, common where they're not as easily obtained as in the USA.

Subedai also apparently posted his dissertation and hasn't been back since.

John Steinbeck
S
S
All hunting was banned during the late 1970s in the land of the Nilgai. My old shikari continues to cull blues despite this. We have in our days taken bluebells in thousands and not in dozens.
Take my advise or leave it but do not use a 45-70 or a 458 or 465, 470, 475, 577 etc. Apart from the 45-70 all these are excellent weapons in thick jungles. Indeed you may kill an elephant with a 275, but this does not make it the ideal rifle for dangerous game.
From what I have seen the 375h&h is perhaps the correct choice for shooting blue bull.
A 458 win mag with 1959 full load; same striking energy as the 470 NE , will only penetrate 3.5 feet into the spine from behind. Indeed a paraplegic blue bull will attack you following this unfortunate bullet placement. A 22lr behind the ear where the skull is cellular and weak will suffice as a coup de gras.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 9.3x62 lacks penetration and should not be used on nil gain or on dangerous game.

Indeed the 350 rigby would have been the ideal cartridge for Nilgai.

I'd like to hear more about this, please tell us of your experience here.

Any medium rifle will do the job but here the h&h does it better and with little fuss. Forget your American calibres,

Would that include the 35 Whelen?

The best rifle is one which is forgiving, has excellent penetration, deviates minimally in thick brush and packs a punch.

And this too.....

How does a rifle deviate minimally in thick brush? What is forgiving about it?

Please inform us sir.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thank you SU 35. This confused me as well. I would like to hear more!

Founder

WS

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hmmm...

Standing by, anxious to learn more...

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its 6 months till Christmas, and yet we've found a fruitcake early.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Subedai,

Have you ever used any of the modern expanding bullets that penetrate much deeper than 1959 .458 Winchester soft-points? I realize such bullets as Nosler Partitions, Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullets and several others may not be available to you, but they penetrate far deeper, and do indeed make "American" cartridges entirely suitable for nilgai-sized animals, as well as others, including the 9.3x62. In fact I've shot essentially lengthwise through not only nilgai but elk (about the same size as nilgai) and Alaskan moose (much larger than nilgai) with cartridges including the .270 Winchester, .30-06, various .300 magnums, the .338 Winchester Magnum and 9.3x62.

From your posts it appears that you're using simple bullets with relatively thin jackets and lead cores, but modern bullets make far more difference in terminal performance than caliber or even bullet weight these days.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
He probably has killed a few thousand. He does show some bias against the Germans doesn't he.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I watched rangers culling elephants with AR-15s in Tanzania. It all boils down to being able to shoot the rifle that you have, and knowing its capabilities and its limitations.

For North American sport hunters, the priority should be making a clean kill--not wounding animals to death. This means passing on shots that are marginal or low percentage, regardless of how few opportunities you have had or how little time you have left to hunt.

Culling, especially for population reduction or removing problem animals, is something entirely different.

Ben

S
S
The 275 is a first rate German rifle 7x57 Mauser and so is the 8x57. The 9.3x62 [ 1905 Otto Bock Berlin ]is excellent for wild boar and for deer and leopard but not the first choice for big cats bears and thick skinned big game.
None of the deer family can stomach a heavy bullet. Do not fool yourself into believing the Nilgai is as easy to stop as a deer. Nilgai is excellent practice for buffalo, indeed Nilgai were shot for the pot and not really considered worthy shikar. It is easy to walk up to them and shoot them at 50 yards. On several occasions we have taken half a dozen bulls before breakfast.
I think brenneke bullets are better than those made across the Atlantic. I believe they are very popular in Europe. TUG, TIG, and more recently TOG bullets to name but a few. Brenneke developed the 7x64 in the 20ties for the Wehrmacht; a cartridge similar to the 7 mm rem mag.
Regarding fruit cakes, let me remind you that they are baked on Christmas Day for the next Christmas, whereafter Jamaica rum or brandy is infused into it for a year. Shoot your first couple of hundred blue Bulls sonny boy and we can debate the merits of various calibres. Stationary targets are easy to shoot with any rifle, it is the one that goes awry that tests you and your weapon of choice. Shoot five thousand blue bulls and I shall eat Christmas cake with you.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That was a great response from someone with real world experience. Thanks

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Sounds like this man knows what it takes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You starting a fan club? smirk

Ben

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by hanco
Sounds like this man knows what it takes.

He obviously knows what it takes but it's odd to me that he talks all about cartridges but not much at all about bullets.

As JB points out modern controlled expansion premiums make a huge difference and citing a cartridge but not the bullet offers an extremely incomplete picture.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One thing is for sure and certain. He doesn't know $hit about a 45-70.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I believe that the physical attitude of the game animal has a lot to do with which cartridge will be adequate and which will be a better or best choice. Where nilgai are rarely hunted and not pressured or chased a good bullet in any caliber capable to killing a 500 pound animals will do quite nicely on a calm animal. I used a .338 Win. mag. simply because I shoot it well, overkill is a myth and I had a lot of 250 grain Grand Slam bullets that I wanted an excuse to use for practice and my hunt. As long as one puts the bullet in the proper place, at a reasonable hunting range and the bullet is well constructed with a higher SD I see no reason to shy away from anything in that 30-06 ballpark. And that park is quite crowded.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by T3hk1w1
EDIT: Although I've seen it done, I would not really suggest the 270.

It's the weight of the bullet that makes the difference. You want adequate penetration which usually comes with heavier weight projectiles.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
biggest one i killed was with a 270/130gr kor-loc. it dropped like a switch had been flipped.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Next trip, I'm thinking about my .375 H&H with 250 TTSX. Why? Just because...

It's a great shooter, I like it and it'll do the job. May even get me some style points... grin

Why has no one mentioned the Fire all around favorite, do all round, the .223AI...?? shocked

After all, the bullet is more important than the headstamp... cool

At least that's what I've heard, and seemingly on good authority... wink

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Next trip, I'm thinking about my .375 H&H with 250 TTSX. Why? Just because...

It's a great shooter, I like it and it'll do the job. May even get me some style points... grin

Why has no one mentioned the Fire all around favorite, do all round, the .223AI...?? shocked

After all, the bullet is more important than the headstamp... cool

At least that's what I've heard, and seemingly on good authority... wink

DF

Fu ck it then. If that's the case I'm taking my 22 magnum. Oh wait, it's a magnum I won't be able to shoot it well... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
S
Nothing wrong with American bullets. Indeed shot a 47.5 inch Cape buffalo with a Winchester 458 soft point in Kenya Colony with "Bali" that great brown hunter ( Muhammed Iqbal Mauladad), during the maumau days. The Ferlach over and under 458 win mag dropped it with a single round through the humerus and heart. Bali preferred his 416 rigby . Which I felt was too light for following up in high grass. He was gored by a Cape buffalo and died soon thereafter in 70. He had as ever his excellent 416 rigby with which he had shot magnificent elephants.
The 416 rigby with its' steel bullets could penetrate anything but stopping a charge is something else. The 45-70 will not deter an elephant nor a buffalo. It was a poor mans rifle in India and used by some police officers to shoot bears and Tigers at their own peril. The sheer number of bullets might stop the beast eventually. The first bullet is the one with the stopping power, for once the adrenalin kicks in the follow up rounds are not felt in the same way by a frenzied animal.
Soon it shall be my hour to return to the happy hunting grounds of old where Bali and I shall once again be young and brash and impetuous following up in tall grass.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Ben_Gates
I have a nilgai hunt booked on the King Ranch in March. What gun should I take: .270, 7mm Rem Mag, .338 win mag or .375 H&H?

I'd take the 375 H&H loaded with 270 gr TSX's at 2750 fps, it would be good practice in case you ever want to go to Africa and shoot some more really large antelope, plains game species. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ben Gates never did follow up, but the entertainment continues on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I have no problem with anyone taking their .556 Tyranosaurus Special, if that's what you want to shoot. My objection is to guides and/or outfitters insisting that you must bring at least a .300 Magnum of some sort, especially if you don't have a .300 Magnum (or something larger) in your gun safe that you shoot regularly. A nilgai hunter should be free to bring whatever rifle he has that he has confidence in and can shoot well.

Ben

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500

I'd take the 375 H&H loaded with 270 gr TSX's at 2750 fps, it would be good practice in case you ever want to go to Africa and shoot some more really large antelope, plains game species. smile

I'd probably try the 250 TTSX, have both bullets and both kill stuff.

I don't even have a .223 AI... grin

Mudhen,

Some of those Texican guides do insist on .300 Win Mag or above, sniff at light ordinance.

You start off on the wrong foot telling your guide you know better, even if you really do. Especially if you really do...

Them boys got it figured in their minds and don't like to be told or suggested otherwise...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mudhen,

Some of those Texican guides do insist on .300 Win Mag or above, sniff at light ordinance.

You start off on the wrong foot telling your guide you know better, even if you really do. Especially if you really do...

Them boys got it figured in their minds and don't like to be told or suggested otherwise...

DF

I understand. However, if it was my hunt, I would probably look to book with someone else, even though I have ordnance up to and including a .404 Jeffery. I was simply stating my opinion. I would not dictate a minimum cartridge size, especially to someone I have never hunted with.

I have shot plenty of nilgai from a the bed of a pickup with a sandbag on top of the cab, mostly with a .30-06 and 150 or 165-grain Partitions. They all died quickly, but that's not the kind of hunt that I would pay for.

Ben

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mudhen
FWIW, I have no problem with anyone taking their .556 Tyranosaurus Special, if that's what you want to shoot. My objection is to guides and/or outfitters insisting that you must bring at least a .300 Magnum of some sort, especially if you don't have a .300 Magnum (or something larger) in your gun safe that you shoot regularly. A nilgai hunter should be free to bring whatever rifle he has that he has confidence in and can shoot well.

It's a vicious circle of ignorance.

One of my buddies had a guided hunt for Texas white tail, he brought his 270. When he returned to camp w/ a nice buck one evening there was another "sport" that had tagged a nice buck. The "sport" looked at the well placed shot on my buddies deer and asked him what he was shooting.

When my buddy told him he was using a 270, he sneered and said "that's what I started with as a kid." The sport let him know that he had taken his deer w/ a 300WM and was grateful for its "stopping power" on his "tough" buck. His deer had 3 bullet wounds, only one of which was marginally in the vitals...

My buddy's s guide told him later, quietly that their typical customer shot like Mr 300WM, regardless of what rifle they were using.

David

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Trying to tell one of them Texicans that he may be misinformed and you know better, may not be an easy task.

Arguing with a woman could actually be more productive... shocked

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/22/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by mudhen

It's a vicious circle of ignorance.

One of my buddies had a guided hunt for Texas white tail, he brought his 270. When he returned to camp w/ a nice buck one evening there was another "sport" that had tagged a nice buck. The "sport" looked at the well placed shot on my buddies deer and asked him what he was shooting.

When my buddy told him he was using a 270, he sneered and said "that's what I started with as a kid." The sport let him know that he had taken his deer w/ a 300WM and was grateful for its "stopping power" on his "tough" buck. His deer had 3 bullet wounds, only one of which was marginally in the vitals...

My buddy's s guide told him later, quietly that their typical customer shot like Mr 300WM, regardless of what rifle they were using.

David

Amen!

Trying to tell one of them Texicans that he may be misinformed and you know better, may not be an easy task.

Arguing with a woman could actually be more productive... shocked

DF

and Amen!

The latest case in point was fellow poster BMD's African hunt with his daughter, who obviously knows how to handle a rifle. She consistently killed numerous head of plains game with a 7mm08/140 TTSX combo, including the "super tough" stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
JG,

You keeping up with the young lady who posted her African trophies on Facebook? She's now getting death threats from the uninformed P.C. world, ignorant of the benefit to wildlife from game management/harvesting and generated revenue supporting the whole program.

And, these people breed, reproduce and for sure will vote for Hillary... shocked

All emotion, no logic...

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I do not have FB, but have read about that. I did not associate that young lady with our own BMD's daughter. You're saying they are the same young lady? That's terrible.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Mudhen,

DF

Bet the 250 TTSX's would be just fine too DF, thou must redeemith thyself at the "Alter of The Poohbah" for a fast twist 223 AI. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Mudhen,

DF

Bet the 250 TTSX's would be just fine too DF, thou must redeemith thyself at the "Alter of The Poohbah" for a fast twist 223 AI. grin

Fast twist .22-204 and .22-250 will have to do.

Almost had the Poobs looking at the .22-204, sniffing and scratching the leaves; he even made some complementary comments. But, I'm thinking he probably reverted back to his comfort zone... cool

When the Poobs is convinced of something, it's not an easy task to convince him otherwise, even if it makes sense... blush

Especially if it makes sense... grin

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 and yes, must be like walking up and trying to push a mountain aside. shocked ;]

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I do not have FB, but have read about that. I did not associate that young lady with our own BMD's daughter. You're saying they are the same young lady? That's terrible.

Not sure if they're the same person, but similar situation.

Agreed, it sux...

People can be so ostentatiously stupid...

Ignornace, you can educate...

Stupid, not much up side...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Speaking of 375's, I've been having fun filing my new single blade express rear sight in on my Rube Goldberg 375 AI, the 300 gr BBW#13 solids are dead on zero at an easy 2750 fps, the 270 gr TSX's at 3000 fps are striking dead on 3" high at 100 through the 2.5-8 Leupold in QD Talleys.

That combo would work well anytime, anywhere, and on any animal. wink

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, sounds like you got it tweaked for optimal performance.

You're right, that rig would do just about anything you needed done, just about anywhere on the planet... cool

What's not to like... smile

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Not bad for a parts gun DF.

The action is from a Winchester Laredo in 7STW I bought around 1993, then proceeded to quickly torch the throat, unscrewed the barrel and set the action in a drawer for 10+ years.

Bought a classic stainless 375 H&H barrel in the classifieds.

Bought a nice walnut stock online too.

Then found some really nice stainless bottom metal from a guy in Louisiana. grin

Got a barrel band off at the 'smiths right now waiting on a matte blue job.

I will be a descent old Rube rifle when finished, I just can't stand to see all these parts and pieces lying about, gotta put em together so they'll go boom again ;]

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I still think a 45-70 with a 480 grain cast flatnosed bullet at 1250 fps will do a nilgai up right. It will damn sure knock a zebra out of its sneakers. Bison, too.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 08/23/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I still think a 45-70 with a 480 grain cast flatnosed bullet at 1250 fps will do a nilgai up right. It will damn sure knock a zebra out of its sneakers. Bison, too.

Damn right, or a 520 gr Gov bullet or 530 gr paper patch, the nilgai would catch neither of the three.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I still think a 45-70 with a 480 grain cast flatnosed bullet at 1250 fps will do a nilgai up right.

Haven't tried any of my 545 grain slugs on anything yet, but I bet they'd work just fine too.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

If I were you, I would take the 338 or the 375. They are overkill on everything else (except maybe an irate feral hog) in Texas, and the Nilgai is truly worthy of such calibers.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not bad for a parts gun DF.

The action is from a Winchester Laredo in 7STW I bought around 1993, then proceeded to quickly torch the throat, unscrewed the barrel and set the action in a drawer for 10+ years.

Bought a classic stainless 375 H&H barrel in the classifieds.

Bought a nice walnut stock online too.

Then found some really nice stainless bottom metal from a guy in Louisiana. grin

Got a barrel band off at the 'smiths right now waiting on a matte blue job.

I will be a descent old Rube rifle when finished, I just can't stand to see all these parts and pieces lying about, gotta put em together so they'll go boom again ;]

Yeah, those parts are crying out to become a complete gun...

Sorta reminds me of those dry bone in Ezekiel 37 suddenly rattling, coming together, bone to bone, sinews and flesh, then skin... grin

If you hear those parts rattling around, watch out...

Yeah, I remember that SS M-70 bottom metal. The Legend stock I got for the .404J M-70 build was inletted for one piece bottom metal, so I got Williams bottom metal, sold you the factory OEM set.

That sounds like the makings of a nice gun.

If that's a SS NH Express bbl, it's 24" and pretty heavy. I cut mine to 21", added NECG irons. Much better. I recently sent it to Karl for barrel flutes, hoping to lose another 8 oz or so.

You may want to consider that when you get it fitted to the action.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL on the script, I saw pics of your bobbed 375, that looks fine to me on a stainless syn stocked rifle, and I'm sure it handles much better, Cutting this one with a walnut stock, especially mine at a 14.25" lop may not look exactly right.

Ah but alas, seems were both equally afflicted with the bug, don't see it ever changing either Buddy. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
LOL on the script, I saw pics of your bobbed 375, that looks fine to me on a stainless syn stocked rifle, and I'm sure it handles much better, Cutting this one with a walnut stock, especially mine at a 14.25" lop may not look exactly right.

Ah but alas, seems were both equally afflicted with the bug, don't see it ever changing either Buddy. smile

Hope not... laugh

I see where you're headed, and one like that bobbed off may not look that great.

The Tupperware handle is lighter than walnut and this configuration works out pretty well.

A big Hoss like you can pack a big rifle... cool

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if it'll ever happen or not, but a Blue Bull is on my wish list. If I were going tomorrow, I'd being carrying either .358 Norma, .358 STA, 9.3x64 or .376 Steyr.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Over the years I have killed and seen killed more than my share of Nilgai,they can be tough, but they are not bullet proof.they kind of remind me of a Gemsbok, except the Nilgai Bulls are bigger,they both have the same kind of fatty shield and black rubber skin.

We have never told our hunters what rifle to bring, it doesn't take a cannon to kill Nilgai, but using a good well placed bullet sure helps. We also don.t chase them with a pickup. that ain't huntin that's shootin. they do eat good. Rio7

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Hope not... laugh

I see where you're headed, and one like that bobbed off may not look that great.

The Tupperware handle is lighter than walnut and this configuration works out pretty well.

A big Hoss like you can pack a big rifle... cool

DF

I'll send ya some pics when it's finished.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Im gonna try these this year. Just on a whim. wink

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Im gonna try these this year. Just on a whim. wink

[Linked Image]

They look bad...

What ordinance do they work in?

DF

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Greeting DF

.35 WCF. I was given a box of Barnes 200 grn TSX. Wish they was 250's but hey! Beggers can't be choosers. Backed with 50 grns IMR 4320. I have one of my 95 Winchesters (not really a beater but she ain't as purty as my other .35 WCF) that may just need a few of them rounds run thru her!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/25/16.

Founder

WS

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Greeting DF

.35 WCF. I was given a box of Barnes 200 grn TSX. Wish they was 250's but hey! Beggers can't be choosers. Backed with 50 grns IMR 4320. I have one of my 95 Winchesters (not really a beater but she ain't as purty as my other .35 WCF) that may just need a few of them rounds run thru her!

That should knock their nose in the dirt...

DF

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm in Colorado right now, headed home in the morning. We are suppose to hit the south Texas ranch in about 2 weeks. I'll take these along just in case something big and blue gets in the way. wink

Founder

WS

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm in Colorado right now, headed home in the morning. We are suppose to hit the south Texas ranch in about 2 weeks. I'll take these along just in case something big and blue gets in the way. wink

laugh

You know the rule, without pictures, it didn't happen...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/25/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bearbacker

If I were you, I would take the 338 or the 375. They are overkill on everything else (except maybe an irate feral hog) in Texas, and the Nilgai is truly worthy of such calibers.

Sorry I missed this quote bearstalker, and I heartily agree, I'd use any number of light to heavy medium bores on a nilgai hunt, I even have a old 338 WM around here that fires the 250 gr swift a frames at a lowly 2740 fps that I believe would pole-ax ANY nilgai quite handily. cool

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bearbacker

Sorry I missed this quote bearstalker, and I heartily agree, I'd use any number of light to heavy medium bores on a nilgai hunt, I even have a old 338 WM around here that fires the 250 gr swift a frames at a lowly 2740 fps that I believe would pole-ax ANY nilgai quite handily. cool

gunner, swap the swift for NPT and I can testify to your premise...

It'll do exactly that...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good to hear DF, bet that SAF would hang pretty close to the NPT on penetration, the old 338 WM is pure badass when someone loads it with the proper bullet and points it where it needs to go, a very authoritative hard killer.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good combo to put a big blue bull in the ice chest...

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good combo to put a big blue bull in the ice chest...

DF

I hope they at least eat good as much as they charge to hunt them today.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, getting sorta pricey.

Land owners are cashing in; guides are doing well...

The eating part is super, great table fare.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great to hear, I've told hunting compadres I'm not interested in any expensive stateside hunt that the quarry doesn't make damn good table grub.

I can shoot crows and coyotes for free.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Kaywoodie, be careful driving home, the 35 wcf should work real well on Nilgai, I kill a mature bull with my 405 win. DRT 300 gr. hard cast will do the job, hard part was getting close enough. Rio7

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks Blue! Will do! Never Summers got a good blanket last night. Can't see in the park right now for the clouds.

Founder

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I didnt wanna bug you while you were on the road KW, but I'd like to hear more about that 200 gr Barnes load in that old 35 Winchester when you have the safe time.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'll keep you posted Gunner! Havent left the ranch yet.

Mr. Gates! Good luck on your hunt what ever you decide. You will have fun for sure! And do keep us posted on the results! Like DF says. Photos or it didn't happen! laugh

Founder

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks KW. cool

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
so I'm guessing something that pushes a .375 270 gr. projectile of bonded construction at around 2500 MV would be ideal?
especially if from an accurate platform.

Last edited by ringworm; 08/28/16.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i hunt them for free, if you don't count gas for the boat.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i hunt them for free, if you don't count gas for the boat.

That's a by god deal right there STX. cool

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Well I'm headed to the Kenedy county place to do a a little Pre-season cabin work for the ranch owner. All I'm packing for a long gun is an 1895 SRC in .30 U.S. Army loaded with 220 grain round nose thumpers and 44 grains of RL 19.

I have been given strict instruction that all feral hogs seen must die. But if I happen to chance upon a blue bull they are legal game too. So I'll just havta shoot true if I see one. (However Would love a nice cow for the freezer). But I ain't really going down to hunt. You just never know what you might see down there!!

Weekend rig

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/14/16.

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am sure that your outfit is up for just about anything that you will run across down there (as long as it is not affiliated with the cartels). grin

Have a good time while you are working. You know what they say about all work and no play--we want you the continue to be your entertaining self!

Ben

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Shucks Ben! I'll be careful. Reenforcements arriving Friday afternoon. Remember the border country is safe! ( sarcasm icon off).

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Looks like your ready for about anything, good Hunting!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn KW, quite the rig there, jealous here. cry

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,183 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.