Print Thread
Hop To
K
KHH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I'll keep this as short as possible . After hearing so much good about the Marlin XL/XS7 I bought a XL7C 25-06 in early January ($319.00). I put a 5 X 15 Bushnell Elite on it. The first trip to the range I had 4 miss fires ,3 with factory ammo 1 with a hand load. Despite my best hand loading efforts groups were running about 3" and the gun showed no signs of wanting to shoot. I called Marlin and ask about getting a stronger firing pin spring at the same time I asked about the accuracy. The guy I talked to was great he said they wanted to look at and shoot the gun and assured me if there was a issue it would be resolved. I sent the gun in on 1-18-10 with a letter explaining the issues and a sample target. I asked them to replace the firing pin spring and test shoot it and requested there test target on return. It was returned on 2-4-10 with a document indicating they had found accuracy issues and that it " miss fires at times ". They replaced the barrel and striker and did a function check and test fire. They sent a photo of a group shot at 40 yards and included the flap off the box of Remington ammo they used to test it. The group was one ragged hole. There was a handwritten note stating the 100 yard range was down for repairs . I took the gun to the range tonight, after a few shots to get on at 100 yards I shot a group that measured 1.29" this despite 15-20 mph winds and using a folding table as a bench.
I Can't imagine how they could have handled this any better. Quick turn around , complete resolution of the issues and my complete satisfaction. Based on all I have read about the Marlin rifle its obvious I just got a bad one. Its good to know that Marlin will stand behind there product. I see this as just one more positive reason to buy a Marlin rifle. I'm planning on picking up a XS7C in 308. Thought you guys might like to know. Good hunting KH

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Great service, but factory QC is, as with others, disturbing.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I agree. See my dad's Remington CDL SF debacle in the African thread. I'm of the opinion that if its not a Sako A series, I'm not interested.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool beans...
Need to take my daughters out and shoot it,,, Still have not gotten that handled...

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whew! The title had me spooked.
Low buck as they are I wonder why Marlin didn't just replace the gun and keep the faulty one.
Glad it all worked out.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Generally when the price is low, QC is also low. This doesn't mean a bad deal, just that once in a while you'll draw a turkey. If you want every rifle purchased to be great, then you have to spend more than $300.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good post Mule Deer...

I can truly respect a person that tells you how it is... wink

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
would have been nice if they'd caught that dog before it left the kennel, but the service/response is impressive.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have read on 2 other forums about misfires from the Marlin XL7. Apparently this is a QC issue. Good to know they have fast turn around times and took care of the customer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Generally when the price is low, QC is also low. This doesn't mean a bad deal, just that once in a while you'll draw a turkey. If you want every rifle purchased to be great, then you have to spend more than $300.

So you're saying Kimber should be charging no more than $300 for theirs?grin

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

$300 is a bit high.....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

$300 is a bit high.....

Ingwe

Judging from my sample of one Kimber I'd say you're right. I did just buy a NIB XL-7 in 25-06 for $256 though so it's nice to know that if there is a QC issue Marlin will handle it well.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
" Kimber Roulette" I believe Ive heard it called....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's good to hear a great service report for a change!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.