Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What do you shoot? Bow (weight, draw length), Arrows, Broadheads; How long have you been at it and what do you like to hunt each year?

I'm a Traditional newbe myself (20+yrs compound), just upgraded to a Hoyt Dorado - 35# at my 28" draw. I'm shooting 29" Easton 1816's w/ 100gr points and been killing paper since the first of the year. I've been averaging right around 230 on the NFAA 300 round. I'd like to find a set of 45# limbs and hunt Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk come fall. How bout you?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been at it for about 2 years. No telling as to the bows that come and go, but I have a 62" Toelke Whip 5028 and a Quinn Stallion 5128 that I am currently shooting. Arrows are either Carbon Express 150 or Gold Tip 5575 depending on the weight I'm after. Point weight varies depending on arrow and which bow I'm shooting at the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a lot of recurves, longbows, and compounds, but nine times out of 10 I grab my 50# Bear Montana and a handfull of 2016s tipped with 100 grains. Last year I hunted with that rig tipped with 100 grain Rocket Steelheads. In IBO competition I use woodies in the longbow class. Probably ain't gonna make it this year to the indoor state championship 3-D shoot.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I keep seeing visions of a Montana Longbow on my bow rack.....I'd love to shoot one, most of the reviews I have heard have been very positive.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i've been shooting trad since 73'. these days i uually hunt with only 2 or 3 bows. bob lee signature recurve with 3 sets of limbs (46#, 48# for deer, and 56# for elk). i have many longbows, but my favorite (this year) is a 5028 bear montana that i spray painted black and grey. i use a 57# crow creek longbow for elk. for the recurves i use 2018 alimunim shafts with 125gr zwickey's or 125gr magnus (all 2 blade). for the longbows i use 23/64 poc woodies with either 125gr magnus, 150gr grizzlies, or 160gr simmons. i hunt deer/hogs here on the farm and go out west every year to either colorodo, new mexico, or montana for elk. great way to hunt. you'll never forget the first deer or elk you take using trad gear. i wish i could start all over again. good hunting.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Been shooting traditionally since 1976 as a youngster. Had the fortune of growing up among some fantastic trad shooters and bow builders. My longbow of choice now (don't laugh!) is a PSE Sequoia at about 62 lbs. It is certainly not a custom but it just works! I have come to also like shooting Gold Tip 5575's and prefer 125gr Zwickeys. Haven't hunted with bow for many years since I left MT but I do miss hunting Yellowstone River bottom white tails!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I started with a dual shelf Bear Alaskan in 79. I've been serious about bowhunting for the last 20 years. My set up is a 62" 60# Silvertip with 580 gr Gold Tip arrows with 160 gr Snuffers. Big short blood trails!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Right now, my favorite bow is my 60# Martin dreamcatcher.Selway quiver,29" 2018 Easton Legacy shafts,and I change BHs like I change bullets.Always looking for the perfect one.I've owned several recurves, but that Martin is hands down my favorite.Been shooting trad since '03.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I started hunting with a bow about 35 years ago. I used an old Pen Pearson "Ambusher" for many years, though I was only successful with small game and fish for several years. I started shooting a compound bow in my early 20's, then went back to traditional in the late 80's. I bought a Brackenbury "Legend" recurve, which was 64" and 62#. I had several others, but that was my "main squeeze" until a hurricane got it a while back. I now shoot a Robertson "Primal" longbow, 53# at 64", cedar arrows that I finish myself and an assortment of broadheads, including the old, yellow Bear razorheads, Zwickey's and Grizzly's.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, LtPowell.
I'd say that Pearson be old.... and maybe has a few scuffs on it, too.... Most notably the one that makes the B look like a P grin
(sorry, I know we should't pick on a guy over typo's, had ta do it)

9 years now hunting with bow and arrow. Most of my bows are upper 40's at my draw (47-50). I use carbon arrows and any 2 blade broadhead that's sharp, not particular about brand. Most of what I have are bear razorheads. They're all easy to sharpen and all seem to work.

I'd like to say I enjoy hunting whitetails the most but my actions prove otherwise. If I don't see a deer after a while any squirrel or whatever comes along is usually fair game. I just enjoy shooting critters with a bow and get too impatient. And since one rabbit or squirrel ain't enough for a stew or a fry the rest of the day is pretty much shot as far as deer hunting goes.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started in '68 with an old Necadah Shakespheare recurve which was really too heavy for the high school senior I was-55lbs at 28" but I shot a badger with it the first year.

No hunters in the family let alone bow hunters, I knew nothing, and didn't even have matched arrows. Never saw a deer that first year. Hunted hard in the'80s but sort of faded out of it in the early 90's in favor of pheasant, and elk hunting. To date have taken about 25 deer, does and bucks, the biggest being about a 160 class buck.

Presently have a Bruin recurve with two sets of limbs, one at 53# and 54" long; the other is at 58# and with limbs 58" long; both weights are at 28" draw though my draw is 30". My other bow is a Fedora, 62" long, and 62# at the same draw length. I still use Easton XX75s and broadheads such as Zwickeys and Magnus. The shorter limbs on the Bruin I use in a blind for turkeys and deer and for cold weather hunting.

I will hunt deer for the first time again this fall, Lord-willing, and am looking forward to it.

Last edited by goodnews; 02/14/10.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I started shooting a bow in 1941. Won my first archery award in 1947. Started bowhunting for deer in 1955. Have hunted every year since. Never owned a compound. Currently shooting 50+ pounds for hunting with a longbow of my own design.

[Linked Image]

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I run an old home-built sinew backed osage orange bow that is 21 years old. It's a 55 lb'er, 25" draw, right at 47" long. I call it my Buffalo Bow, as it is fashioned after the type recurve that the plains Indians widely used. Took a black bear with her in '93, and used some of his hide to fashion a quiver and some wrapping with. I left the fur on. Also made a sheath for my 14" bowie with the hide. A 14" bowie is not very practical for a lot, but it looks good with it. I keep a smaller knife with me to cape, skin, and dress. I've got a few more bows, from Hoyt compound (a few years old now), a couple other compounds (Quicksilver? pretty old; even a compound with "Robin Hood" on it ancient lol), to some store bought recurves from Fred Bear ,etc.

It somehow feels just a tad more satisfying when I have success with my home made chunker.

Last edited by SpecialEd; 02/15/10.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by centershot
I keep seeing visions of a Montana Longbow on my bow rack.....I'd love to shoot one, most of the reviews I have heard have been very positive.

I just ordered a new Toelke longbow about two weeks ago. Its a 64" 55#@28". It has the Pau Ferro riser and juniper limbs. Should have it in about two more weeks........I can't wait.

Dan makes some fine bows. If you ever shoot one you will be hooked.

Dave

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I toyed with a compound a little as a teenager. that lasted one summer/fall.

These days I shoot mostly a Dammon-Howatt Black Mamba but I also have their Super Diablo and X-200 as well. I've used my dad's Hunter a bit - but he's not ready to let go of it yet. (grin)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a sky archery longbow also a Ben Pearson #709 Hunter recurve,Hoyt hunt-master recurve 2sets of limbs.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have been hunting with a bow for 13 years. Switched from the compound to a 60# Fred bear Kodiak 7 years ago and never looked back. I now shoot a 55# Great Plains swift take down recurve. I shoot full length Gold tips with a 75 grain brass insert and 145 Eclipse single bevel broadhead. Yet to kill with this set up ( drew short on a bull this year and shot an inch under his belly! got to excited!) but I have good feeling about this year!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I started as a kid with a Bear Grizzly #45. Now I'm 46 yrs old. Had I known better then, that bow would have done everything I needed it to do, and I would have saved myself a bunch of money.:-) Since then, many bows have come and gone, and I have switched from recurves to compounds and back. I've owned other Grizzlies, Pearsons, a custom Bighorn, and other recurves. Now, hanging in my rack is a Bear Cub #50 (which I bought at 16 yrs old, and was smart enough to keep), a Samick Deerslayer #50, and a Samick Squall #55. I shoot 2114 aluminum out of the Bear and Deerslayer with old style Bear 140gr stainless broadheads, and carbons with 155gr steelforce four blades with a 50gr brass insert out of the Squall.(There are also two collector bows that are not shootable. One is a self bow made by my Gramps that he used to hunt with, and a vintage York long bow I had Glen St. Charles sign many years ago.)

Once again, I have all the bows I would ever need to hunt what ever I want. Did I learn anything? Am I finally done buying and selling bows? Can my wife finally take a deep breath of relief?....Man, I hope not.

As Glen St. Charles said on my York, "Keep the arrows flying."

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bowhunting, all traditional, for 40 years.

I've never owned a compound so that's how I rationalize owning too many trad bows including selfbows that I make.

This elk season: Bob Morrison ACS longbow 60" 55#. Heritage 150 arrows. Ace, Stos or Zephyr broadhead. (Bob no longer makes ACS bows.)

Deer season: I used one of RWL99's Shrew Classic Hunters. The perfect treestand bow for me. 54" 51#. AD Trad Lite arrows with same broadheads or cedar shafts with same broadheads.

Some days I take an osage selfbow/cedar arrows for local deer hunting.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Been hunting with recurves and longbows since '68. First animal I killed with a bow was an Ermine in the winter of 1968. Used a Ben Pearson "Jet", 35# with cedar arrows and a Bear Razorhead.
Currently have three that I shoot most on dry land; 60# Jerry Hill longbow that fits me like no other, a 48# Seven Lakes longbow that I caribou hunted with, and a 45# Martin Rebel that I bought for hunting the thick East Texas brush and from treestands.
I shoot mainly cedar with Zwicky or Magnus 2 blade broadheads, 125gr for the Rebel and the Seven Lakes, 140gr for the Jerry Hill.
I do shoot some 2018's with Magnus 125's out of the Rebel.
My bowfishing rigs are; (#1 favorite) Bear original takedown, "A"riser @55# with an AMS Retriever, and second, an early PSE Coyote type(not marked Coyote and a different riser design) #60# with an AMS Retriever. I bowfish with Muzzy heads on either Muzzy or Cajun shafts.
I finish all of my own arrows. I shoot feathers exclusively.

Boy, this thread has brought back some GOOD memories!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bowhunting started about 1964 for me. I have a few bows now. I gave a 60# Cheeta to my son and elk hunted with him in Colorado this past year. Probably the best hunting year I have ever had. I retired a couple of years ago, and spent more time in the field this year than in the past 5-10 years combined.

Currently my go to bows are a Shrew longbow Classic Hunter 56" 51#, and a 55# Kota recurve. I prefer the Shrew, but usually take the Kota along "just in case". I tried a compound for a couple of years in a archery league, but it was just not as much fun for me. One night we agreed to bring trad equipment. I brought an old Bear Supermag. Arrows not tuned to it, nock point off a little, but the first two arrows would have cleanly taken a deer at 20 yards. I thought to myself, why am I not using this? Never looked back after that.

Not as good looking as the old guy above but here I am in 1972.
[Linked Image]
Gary

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v497/26010pt/?action=view�t=pic2.jpg"

Canebrake 62 #
Totaly for the last 3 years

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Been a traditional bow hunter/shooter now for 10 years. I have a Tomahawk LB 50# and a Horne's LB 53#. My neighbor gave me an older Howatt recurve which is a nice bow. Just got on the list for a Shrew bow. I really enjoy the traditional shooting and hunting. I got the family into it too. We go to several trad shoots a year and have a lot of good fun and get to meet alot of other traditional archers.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Trad hunter for over 20 years. Shoot a yew long bow and a Border, Martin, Hoyt recurve

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E

Shot & hunted with a longbow for the last 4 seasons, had tons of fun! This year I will be shooting & hunting with a compound because of time restraints. I will however pick the longbow up again in the future as I really enjoy shooting & hunting with it!

ElkNut1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My first whitetail hunt with a recurve was in about 1966, with a Shakespeare Wonderbow, 40#.
I still have that bow and a few more. My favorite now is a 51# Shrew longbow, followed closely by a Kota 55# recurve.Still love it.
Gary

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I started with a bear as a kid. I shoot bows of all types from coupound to longbow. My favorite traditional bow is a Hawk Recurve made by Mike Beckwith. It has a custom high grip. It has tonkin cane bamboo limbs with carbon fiber cores and phenolic tips. It is 45# @ 28". I pull 32" so it is a comfortable 58# for me. It will shoot a 500 grain finished arrow at 200 f.p.s. I have never owned, or seen first hand a more efficient traditional bow.

"Never get out of the boat"
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I started out with hickory self bows as a kid. Hunted with training wheels for a few years, but never had the same satisfaction as I did hunting with a longbow. I now use a 68" OL Adcock non-acs longbow. It's 64#@31". I shoot Arrow Dynamic Hammerheads with 100gr insert and a 125gr judo or Hammer for small game and stumping. For deer, hogs, and black bear, I use a Gold Tip 7595 with an aluminum footing, a 100gr insert and a 200gr VPA Terminator or a 50gr insert and a 260gr Abowyer Brownbear screw-in. All of my arrows with this bow weigh right at 700 grains. I don't know the fps, but it sure zings an arrow. I'd guess it's probably in the mid 180s.

I've also got a Howard Hill Halfbreed and a bamboo-backed osage that I made. They're fun to shoot, but I mostly use the Adcock.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started bowhuntingn in 1985, switched to traditional in 1994. So I am a relative newbie compared to some of the guys on here.

I have four favorite bows:
60# @ 28, 62" Robertson recurve that I shoot Beman MFX 340 spine arrows weighted to 620gr.

60# @ 28, 62" longbow made by a friend of mine shooting doug fir 70-75# spined arrows with a total weight of 630gr.

50# @ 28, 62" 1972 Super Kodiak that I shoot Beman MFX 400 spine arrows that weigh right at 500gr and some misc wood arrows that fly soso. I think they are a touch underspined. That's the next arrow building project, get a matched set RTG for this fall.

49# @ 28, 62" longbow made by the same friend as above that I shoot 60-65# doug fir arrows that weigh 530gr.

The nice thing is the fact that I can switch between them all and hit what I aiming at most of the time.

I have some selfbows and other bows to play with, but those four are my go to bows.

For broadheads, I prefer scary sharp two blade heads. Lots of good ones, but the last 6 to 8 years I have a preference for the Eclipse, Bear super razorhead, and Magnus journey(discontinued).

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a several Great Northern longbows by Jerry Brumm, mostly with his Jack Knife TD system which is quite a nifty idea. I shoot mid 50s at my 30" draw length, 55/75s tipped with 200-225 gr heads depending on the bow, avg out to be about 10-11 gpp. I've been using an Arrowmaster quiver by Rod Jenkins for the past month but am not sold on if I'll be getting away from a bow quiver. I shoot ~ 200-300 times/week depending on daylight available when I get home from work. I've been shooting trad about 10 years and just feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like most, I started out with a recurve as a kid in the 70's. Went to compounds, had fun. Went back to recurves in 2001, have more fun and won't go back. Current bows:

58" Hummingbird Kingfisher TD 72#
58" Silvertip TD 76#
56" Morrison Wolverine 69#

All bows are shooting carbons (CE Heritage 350s, Bemam Bowhunter 300, & Grizzly Stick Alaskans) with arrows weighing between 625-700+ grains.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Just a repeat of most posters. I started shooting and hunting with a green Bear Kodiak magnum recurve bow 45# during the early 70's. I too fell into the compound craze in the mid 70's and shot NFAA and 3-D shoots for many years, until the fun of shooting left me. Everybody was into the latest & greatest and fastest speed bow. After taking many fine animals I decided to switch to trad bows in 2004. Shooting is now fun, I still take a deer now and then and is easier on my shoulder. I even resuricted my old Kodiak Magnun bow,cedar arrows with old green Bear Razorheads and shot a nice spikehorn. I couldn't be more proud if I shot a P&Y class animal. Since someone stole my Kodiak bow, I have replaced it with Bob Lee recurve bows (3) and now have fun shooting and hunting again. I hunt deer,turkey,and elk with my recurves.

Bob Lee Signature, 54# @ 28" 60"
Bob Lee Hunter, 43# @ 28" 62"
Bob Lee Pro hunter 45# @ 28" 54"

Last edited by fisherick; 05/09/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I feel like an amateur when I say that I've only been serious about hunting with a recurve for the last 10 years.

I killed a lot of critters with a 55 Lbs Martin Hunter and 2114s with various 3 blade heads.

About 4 years ago, a guy at work sold me his Schaefer Silvertip, 60" 62 Lbs. Love that bow... I'll likely hunt it until I die, or it breaks beyond repair.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Glenn St Charles and I when Glenn was still shooting.

[Linked Image]

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What an awesome pic! Looks like you both are shooting off the fist too.

Been shooting traditional on and off since I was 12 years old. My first bow (still have it) was a 30# Golden Bear. From that humble beginning I moved from there to Bear Black Panther to Bear Kodiaks to Bisharat Stalker Recurves to osage self bows. Interspersed was a variety of compounds. Of these, when its time to go hunting I pick up my 66" 52# (30") Stalker Shooting Star Recurve.

As for arrows, I use Port Orfords for the osage and 2016's for the rest. I'm pretty partial to Magnus 2 blade 125gr vented broaheads.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I started with a Herters Sitka back in 1970 or so. Went to rifles for a decade and back into recurves - Bighorns and a Chastain Wapiti. Back into rifles for 20 years and now recently bqck into recurves.
Currently I am working with a 58" Chastain TD 57# @ 28" with 2117's.
I have a neat 48" Rocky Mountain TD Recurve, 55# @ 28" that is a great little bow. Although I am concentrating on the Chastain and may sell the Rocky Mountain TD.
Having a lot of fun out in the orchard.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never posted on this forum. I'm glad I stopped by because I've enjoyed reading this thread.

I hunted with a compound bow for close to 20 years, but about 10 years ago I got fed up with the modern archery technology race. I went looking for a recurve bow and ended up buying my first longbow instead. The first thing I noticed after buying it was how often I found myself smiling while shooting it.

Marriage and young children as well as more demanding job titles have stopped me from bowhunting for the last few years so my memory is a bit fuzzy on some of the details of my set up. The bow brand is a Showshoe, Hunters spirit model by a guy named Terry Oban I believe. About 54# at my draw length. Arrows were made by a former co-worker of mine who used to make and sell many dozens a year. Unknown (to me) species of wood. I think the broadheads are the Zwickey Delta fixed 2 blade design. Geez..I can't even recall the name of my quiver. I really need to get her out of the closet and string it up and let a few arrows fly.

Man! That sounds like a good idea...

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Ron, great picture and I'm sure some great memories too. Why is Glenn wearing his field quiver on the left side? Is he switch hitting for the pic?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I started as a kid goofing around with a no name recurve. I then got "serious" and got into the compound game in 1984 ish. had a Darton, Onieda Strike Eagle, Hoyt then finally a Matthews. Around 2003 the Matthews started collecting dust as I started shooting a Martin Impala. Got the recurve bug real bad and now I shoot a custom hand built recurve built by Steve Turaw from Ishpeming MI. It's a beauty with a birds eye maple riser with a cherry accent and hard maple laminated limbs. Shoots so nice it's hard to put it down. If I ever get the picture thing figured out I'll post some pics.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shoot a recurve and I shoot compounds

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I wouldn't call myself a traditional shooter. But, I have only been shooting a sight for the last 2 years. Because my job has me working too much to practice. For the first 20 years, I shot a compound with a flipper, no sights and a finger tab. Not enough practice time made me switch to a pendulum sight. I hunt a thicket and my farthest shot is only 20 yds. My last 4 deer were all shot under 10 yds. my 8 pointer in '07 was almost straight down. The arrow went through the heart vertically and came out the breat bone. Anyway, I'm trying to switch jobs, if so, I'm switching back to no sights. I tried a release to see what it felt like, no thanks, back to a finger tab. It just doesn't feel like hunting to me if I'm not touching the string or if I'm pointing a bright pin at a deer. But I like the advantages of compound bows. I'm currently trying to build a new set up. Long ATA compound bow with whisker biscuit. Thats it. Maybe switch to a 2 blade fixed broadhead too.

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
shoot, shoot more and shoot everything (firearms,bows,xbows,etc)

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been shooting compounds for the last 32 years (most recently a 2007 Bowtech Allegiance) but decided to treat myself to something special for my 50th birthday which is coming up soon.

I could not make up my mind so I just ordered two custom made bows. One a recurve and the other a longbow. Each will be Kingswood on the outside, Cocobolo on the inside with Curly Maple accents and a strip of Curly Maple down the center. The limbs will be Bacote with antler tips.

The recurve specs are to be be as close to this as possible:

60 inches
55 pounds
30 inch draw

The long bow will be as close to this as possible:

68 inches
55 pounds
30 inch draw

You only live once.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have hunted with recurves for the last 30+ years. Played with compounds off and on for @ 15 of those years. Never put the recurves down, they were just too much fun.
I shot Douglass Fir shafts with 5 1/2 " Trueflight banana fletching, Deer skin glove, and Zwickey Delta 4 blades for many years. I now alternate Carbon Express shafts with Three Rivers weighted inserts fletched with Bidelta synthetic feathers and topped with woodsman broadheads (bad weather), with; Port Oxford Cedar with the same 5 1/2" banana cut trueflight feathers as the douglas fir shafts, but switched to the three blade woodsman. Sharpens like a snuffer, penetrates like a 2 blade.

I marketed for Allegheny Mountain Archery bows for awhile. Still hunt with their Full Custom Take down recurve with carbon inner core lamination, 58", 62# at 28".

I also hunt with a custom Robertson Stykbow Peregrine one piece in Bacote with clear satin finish. 58", 55#, at 27".

For the ground blind I have a 1953 Bear Grizzly 50# at 28", black on what looks like Zebra wood riser.

Along the way, I tried and let go in no particular order: Bear Kodiak, Hoyt Huntmaster take down, Martin Savannah, Monarch longbow, Allegheny Mountain bow hybrid, various Pearsons, and a Black Widow Greybark take down. I also tried: Bear razorheads, the full sized Suffers, Wolverines, Zwickey Eskimo 4 blade, and Journeyman broadheads.

Last edited by fyshbum; 06/28/10.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, fyshbum, you're definitely part of the club. smile

I've been shooting my little Browning Nomad Stalker for a while, 52", 50#@28". It's a neat little finger-pincher that should workout well in a canvas blind or in a treestand. Been shooting 23/64" woodies with 5-1/2 feathers. I also shoot my 50# Bear Montana Longbow with woodies fletched with feathers from wild turkeys I have killed. It's a gas! I've used several broadheads including Bodkin MA3L (old), Bear Razorhead (old), Zwickey Eskimo, and others.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Big Redhead,

I have thought about going back to try the long bow for a change of pace. I have heard from others how much they like that Bear. How does it compare to others you have tried? The price is certainly right.

I let the Monarch go because of the excessive hand shock and the riser never quite fit my hand very well. I had bought it second hand, so it was not made for me specifically, but it was close enough.

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Andy G,

Be careful with the whisker biscuit. It works well for sights, but you cannot sight down the shaft very well, especially in low light. Even if you shoot instinctively, the biscuit blocks part of your vision. When I shot with no sights with fingers I used the Star Hunter rest. When set up correctly it hold the arrow well and won't block your view. Just a thought.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
fyshbum,

I'm sure you could find a longbow that is a little faster than the Bear Montana, or one with a little less handshock. But the Bear does well enough for me in both departments and costs a lot less than most custom bows. I won a Michigan indoor 3D state championship with it and took second place a couple other times, so there's nothing wrong with the bow. Like Ishi said, "Any bow good bow, but good arrow is a lot of work." I think a lot of guys would be well served if they quit buying new bows looking for "magic" and just practice and focus on their own shortcomings. When guys ask me about handshock I usually tell them to forget about handshock and focus on shooting. If we focus on handshock, we are not focused on the right things. If you get a bow that dowesn't fit your hand, then grind the handle to fit. I've ground all mine, including the Bear. I prefer a "concave" shaped handle. The absolute most worthless longbow handle shape for me is called the "locator" handle.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Redhead,
Thanks for the reply.

LOL at the ISHI comment, I remember reading that. There is alot of truth to it. I don't get too hung up on handshock either, but having played with a few longbows with almost none, I was just curious as to how the Montana felt. As you said the price is right for a try.

Most of my stickbow time has been behind recurves. I do not necessarily like locator grips either, but I also do not like the ridge like back to some of the longbows out there, I tend to torque them. I never tried to concave them, might have to. Thanks again, Brian

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
hey guys, im just getting started in traditional, looking for a nice bow in the 2 to300 dollor range, any suggestions?

More guns...need more guns.
Loving Mozambique-and Africa!!!! Too bad I only have 2 months left!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Bear Montana on its way. In another post I lament on how I let a Fred Anderson bow slip through my hands. I JUST finished Instinctive Archery Insights, by Jay Kidwell, today--a very good read.

I'm going to my first Traditional shoot in two weeks, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I toyed with a compound a little as a teenager. that lasted one summer/fall.

These days I shoot mostly a Dammon-Howatt Black Mamba but I also have their Super Diablo and X-200 as well. I've used my dad's Hunter a bit - but he's not ready to let go of it yet. (grin)

I have a Damon Howatt Hi Speed and a Hunter. The Hunter was my dad's bow. I got him into bow hunting back in '73.

Do you know if the Mamba is the replacement for the Hi Speed? Both are 58" and the Hi Speed is no longer made. I had a Hunter first, but it came apart on me one day while shooting fish. I got the Hi Speed as a replacement since it was 4" shorter and handier.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i shoot this Jeff Reid which is 56# at 28. have been shooting it for 5 yrs [Linked Image]

Last edited by stxhunter; 07/18/10.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When it comes to bow season.....yep, my bows are traditional.

1967 Super Kodiak 60 inch 55lbs
and
approx 1971 Pearson Mercury Hunter 53lbs.

I love shooting LR handguns but hunting with longbow and recurve has been a big part of my life for over 50 years now.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (17CalFan, 1lesfox, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 36 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,575
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.