Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
BASTID! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by D2Junky
And that sweet stink they cut loose carries the rabies virus as well so avoid the spray.......

With all due respect, this is NOT true.

My Auburn Vet buddy sent me this (Not sure if it was from a text or Internet):

"Cattle most often become infected with rabies when they come in contact with infected raccoons, skunks or foxes. Cattle�s curious nature puts them especially at risk when they investigate an animal which is acting strangely in their area. Rabid animals are prone to bite livestock on the nose or extremities. Because these wildlife species are well adapted to areas where cattle are kept the threat of becoming infected is always present. Cattle in barns or other enclosures are not spared the risk of rabies since infected wildlife commonly frequent cattle housing."

I am from a long line of cattlemen and if you have ever watched cattle and how they react to a coyote or dog (let alone a coon, fox, or skunk) in their midst, you'll quickly understand how a dozen curious cows could be bitten on the nose by a rabid animal in their pasture or feed lot. It actually makes sense to me how a smaller animal like a skunk could pose a bigger threat simply due to the fact that the cows do not feel threatened by an animal of that size.

If you could get it from skunk spay, think of how many folks would turn up with it on your typical expressway where a skunk had just been run over. To smell it means the particles are in your nose!!

I love the little spotted skunks! I wish I had one.

WAR EAGLE!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
OldCenterChurch.Perfectly correct. I shot a pronghorn once out in the middle of a pasture that had about 200 head of cattle in it.Whie gutting it out,they all came to watch.I was quickly surrounded 360 be some very anxious and curious cows and the circle kept getting smaller. I had to shoot up in the air to scare them off and even at that they only went a few yards.
You never see a snake bite on a cows leg,always on the nose.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
The rabies virus is carried in the saliva, and everything I've read, or heard says that between 80% and 90% of ALL skunks have it. So be careful skinning them! Well, of course you are going to be careful skinning them, but I meant up around the mouth area, not just the "other" end.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Don't take this the wrong way.....but I know cattle. And I know how that little outbreak occured in this herd. None of us could believe it either. Consultation with the CDC on the whole investigation confirmed the source.

It's not my style to get in a pissing contest...and take it or leave it as you may.....but your Auburn vet buddy wasn't there and this OSU veterinarian talked and worked with the people that WERE there....

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Furthermore...rabies is realtively RARE in the ruminant population.....and given the number of heads I've sent off this year I would treat EVERY skunk and raccoon in THIS area as if it were rabid. We are having a bad outbreak right now and more often than not we get a positive result back on a rabies exam.

Not only is the saliva infectious but viral particles will be found in neural tissue and any fluid from the suspect animal should be treated as infectious. And yes....the viral particles have been isolated from the scent produced by the skunk. Period...end of story......it would be more dangerous but thankfully the virus is not long lived outside of its host and damn near requires direct inoculation.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A buddy of mine (whos been known to be full of it, so take
with a grain) swears sugar wafers are the go-to bait for
skunks with live traps.

S
S
Bacon. They will become so tame you can hand feed them. I have done it. I would not not recommend it however! LOL! It's amazing...once a skunk gets tame enough to be hand fed they still will occasionally panic. They will run away backwards. They seem to do whatever it takes to NOT spray. I would have thought the opposite.

Last edited by Spongerob; 03/15/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
why don't you ask oldman 1942 what he preferred

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best bait, and more specific to just catching skunks, is peanut butter on Ritz crackers. I had almost nil cat/dog catches with these. I used them in live traps over a 4 year period catching skunks in a town I live close to. Still got the occasional possum, and rarely a coon. But skunks seem to love them.
Also, a heart/lung area shot will, more times than not, result in no spray. Whereas a head shot will almost alway cause them to spray.
Good luck if you haven't gotten rid of it yet.

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 64 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,825
Posts18,477,900
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.