24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
After you skin it. What do you guys do with the meat? I'm going to start trapping and was curious what you guys use the meat for? Can you just bait other traps with it? I'm trapping for coyote's mostly.

And WHERE do you sell the furs!? I'm a newbie to this so please don't rip me a new one! I'm in Washington State, if that helps?

Thanks!

-Cody

-Cody.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HallzyBallzy
After you skin it. What do you guys do with the meat? I'm going to start trapping and was curious what you guys use the meat for? Can you just bait other traps with it? I'm trapping for coyote's mostly.

And WHERE do you sell the furs!? I'm a newbie to this so please don't rip me a new one! I'm in Washington State, if that helps?

Thanks!

-Cody

I toss the carcasses unless I get a beaver. Then it'll be used as bait and one or two will go into the freezer.
If you're trapping yotes, there's not much you can do with them other than feed the ravens and magpies.

For selling your furs, you may want to contact your state's trappers association and get a list of fur buyers.

I was under the impression trapping was banned in WA.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
OP Offline
Okay thanks.

No I looked in the game regs last night just to make sure. We have a trapping season.

-Cody.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn

I was under the impression trapping was banned in WA.

I thought that too. Maybe its just on public lands.

I throw the carcass away too. It sure would work as bait, but it must be buried as exposed bait is illegal, at least here.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A carcass pile can work well for bait. Here in MT we have to set at least 30 feet from exposed bait. Wouldn't want to set any closer even if I could - too many birds in the traps if you set right on a big bait.

IC B2

OP Offline
No here's the link to the reg's... http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/trapping/trapping_seasons_rules.pdf

It's legal! Just lottsss of rules.

-Cody.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm somewhat new to trapping as well. Good to hear someone else is getting into it. Make sure to touch base with your trapper's association for connections on everything from fur buyers to other trappers in your area to give you advice. Also it makes them happy to know that they are gaining one on their side instead of losing one. Especially in Washington with all those Californiaized folks in Seattle, no offense.....

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kept all my beaver and muskrat carcasses for fox, coyote, and bobcat bait. All foxes were used to harvest urine only. Coons and possums went to the black folk.

Skunks weren't worth a wooden nickel, but it meant I was going to catch a few more fox around the old skunk trap location.

WAR EAGLE!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You can BBQ the beaver tail and coons.

To tenderize'em put them in a pressure cooker covered with onion and a bit of garlic and bring to a hard boil, then set aside to cool. From there just give'm a slow grillin' like ya would a brisket. Or smoke it. Either way, it's good eats.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (16penny, 1minute, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,366
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.